Week 10: West Jefferson (7-1) @ Coldwater (8-0)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Coldwater will likely win by 2 TDs but those WJ boys are tough as hell, well coached and will give em hell.

I bet this game will be a hard hitting one. Good luck to both teams, enjoy the moment and stay injury free !

So you are for a team to do something they do not normally do, is not their best strong suit, and expect it to result in a positive outcome?
I understand putting in some wrinkles to change things up, trying to play on an opponent's weakness at times but a team needs to do what they do best.

If WJ was weak against a power running team who deploys a double tight, split backfield and pounds it and a team who specializes in the spread decides to change horses midstream and try implement more of that offense instead of what they do best, and have been working on since August and often time for years, then i would call that coach a fool.

WJ, and CW, both need to do what they do best on offense and defense and within those confines try to exploit certain weaknesses.

Like a pitcher who has a great fastball but a poor breaking ball who is going against a hitter who sucks at hitting it. You may still throw a CB but should be very judicious in its use because it is not your strong point.

You want to get beat doing what you do best. If you get beat doing something you dont normally do then it haunts you forever, but at least you can handle losing if you know you went down if you went with your best.

Recall few years ago CW vs Versailles in the playoffs that was played at UD. CW came out on offense playing more double tight, ran more options than they did all season, and the offense didnt look like it did all year. In talking with some players that next summer they mentioned how they spent all week putting in and working on new wrinkles on offense to exploit weaknesses instead of going with what they did all season.

but i digress.

Have a good evenin' y'all.

Then it’s plain and simple. They will lose by 20+ like always

If they stick with what they do best as they have in the past, it’s over. I know teams like to do what they are more comfortable with but that just hasn’t worked against CW and it won’t here either. Just like coach yoast told coach boone “He’s on to your game. You gotta throw something at him he’s not ready for”
You are assuming the scheme was the problem in the past. WJ’s previous losses to CW all came in years where CW made the state finals. I’m not convinced this year’s CW squad is that potent.

You are assuming the scheme was the problem in the past. WJ’s previous losses to CW all came in years where CW made the state finals. I’m not convinced this year’s CW squad is that potent.

I’m sure you were convinced that Minster wasn’t that potent in 2017 with Minster being a 4 loss team as well. Once the upper echelon of that conference (and a lot of times the middle to lower tier also) come out of conference play, not many other conferences can play with them and they prove it time and time again. I look for CW to win that region no matter who wins the other game. Mechanicsburg hasn’t faired very well against MAC teams either and Adena has 2 wins vs the MAC but I wouldn’t exactly call those quality wins this year. 5 out of the last 6 years Mechanicsburg has been sent to the off-season by a MAC school. The only year they wasn’t was because the never played a MAC team. MAC teams usually get played hard in conference. FR wasn’t a bad team and all 4 teams they lost to were still in the playoffs up until last week and had St. Henry not have had to play another MAC school, they’d still be in this week also. So would FR had they played another team besides CW. Go look at all of MAC’s first playoff game out of conference. Few won by forfeit but the ones that did play, I don’t think any of them had a close game. I think CW looks just as good as usual.

Last edited:
Exhausted and poor is not how I would describe the Coldwater community. I haven't seen any soup kitchens in town yet. Did Coldwater suffer an economic collapse that we have not heard about?:rolleyes:
Not a lot of large corps around or in Coldwater. The small businesses that are here are hit hard every year for numerous small fund raisers that happen every year.

I’m sure you were convinced that Minster wasn’t that potent in 2017 with Minster being a 4 loss team as well. Once the upper echelon of that conference (and a lot of times the middle to lower tier also) come out of conference play, not many other conferences can play with them and they prove it time and time again. I look for CW to win that region no matter who wins the other game. Mechanicsburg hasn’t faired very well against MAC teams either and Adena has 2 wins vs the MAC but I wouldn’t exactly call those quality wins this year. 5 out of the last 6 years Mechanicsburg has been sent to the off-season by a MAC school. The only year they wasn’t was because the never played a MAC team. MAC teams usually get played hard in conference. FR wasn’t a bad team and all 4 teams they lost to were still in the playoffs up until last week and had St. Henry not have had to play another MAC school, they’d still be in this week also. So would FR had they played another team besides CW. Go look at all of MAC’s first playoff game out of conference. Few won by forfeit but the ones that did play, I don’t think any of them had a close game. I think CW looks just as good as usual.
I follow a MAC team, so I’m well aware of all that. I just don’t think Coldwater has been up to its usual standard for a few years now.

I follow a MAC team, so I’m well aware of all that. I just don’t think Coldwater has been up to its usual standard for a few years now.
True.

The Brody Hoying days at Coldwater made that offense extremely tough and it may be a long, long time (if ever) that the team has a playmaker like him again. Coach O would state 'Brody being Brody' and he could make any play call a successful one, especially with his legs, and his prowess on defense made him a game changer on both sides of the ball. There was also quite a bit of talent around him.

That is no knock on the teams since then as that squad was extremely special. Hopefully one day the CW program will again reach the pinnacle and hoist the gold trophy after the last game, but it is never a given. Too many expect that to be the norm and many believe it is Gold or bust. I guess those expectations are better than not having any at all, but an all or nothing approach by the fans will end most seasons in disappointment.

Go MAC>

Not up to usual standards just because they lost to 2 great teams in Archbold and MSML in the playoffs the last few years? There is no shame in losing to either of those two. Most teams in those divisions would. They may not be the CW of ‘12 that thavoice references but I think they are just as good if not better than anyone else in their division

Not up to usual standards just because they lost to 2 great teams in Archbold and MSML in the playoffs the last few years? There is no shame in losing to either of those two. Most teams in those divisions would. They may not be the CW of ‘12 that thavoice references but I think they are just as good if not better than anyone else in their division
Eh. Taking my sarcasm tin foil hat off. In all honesty, the 18 and 19 team's were the weakest two in quite a long time. Just they way it is. I had family in one of those classes and I followed them from the JH days and it was not really a big surprise how those two seasons ended up. Kudos to the coaching staff that even though the talent had dipped quite a bit they still coached them up to have better seasons than most schools around the state.

This year's squad, from what I can see on film and watching two games from outside the fence, seems much more talented.

Eh. Taking my sarcasm tin foil hat off. In all honesty, the 18 and 19 team's were the weakest two in quite a long time. Just they way it is. I had family in one of those classes and I followed them from the JH days and it was not really a big surprise how those two seasons ended up. Kudos to the coaching staff that even though the talent had dipped quite a bit they still coached them up to have better seasons than most schools around the state.

This year's squad, from what I can see on film and watching two games from outside the fence, seems much more talented.
Wow finally an honest post as most times can't tell if it is your honest opinion or you're trying to pull one over....
I agree totally with your assessment of your teams 18 and 19 which I feel mirrored Marion Local . I can't tell you
about your 2020 team since Dewiney took away the opportunity for us to match up so only going by hi-lites and
newspaper reports you may be correct as have some playmakers this year..... But come on man had to watch two
games from the fence , you don't have grandkids playing yet????
Good luck Saturday night..

Wow finally an honest post as most times can't tell if it is your honest opinion or you're trying to pull one over....
I agree totally with your assessment of your teams 18 and 19 which I feel mirrored Marion Local . I can't tell you
about your 2020 team since Dewiney took away the opportunity for us to match up so only going by hi-lites and
newspaper reports you may be correct as have some playmakers this year..... But come on man had to watch two
games from the fence , you don't have grandkids playing yet????
Good luck Saturday night..
Dude-I am not that old! If I didnt have to leave Sunday at zero dark thirty I would be doing it again!

Good luck to all the MAC teams this weekend. We truly are one family and root each other on as it makes us all look better and believe you me that is not the case everywhere. I believe the simple fact that so many of the teams have drank from the Championship chalice it really does keep the petty jealousy to a minimum.

Go CW
Go MSML.
Go NB.
Go Versailles.
Go Anna and Minster (playing a regular season games, correct?)

Go MAC.

See ya'll next week and I hope as many of these teams win and advance.

Dude-I am not that old! If I didnt have to leave Sunday at zero dark thirty I would be doing it again!

Good luck to all the MAC teams this weekend. We truly are one family and root each other on as it makes us all look better and believe you me that is not the case everywhere. I believe the simple fact that so many of the teams have drank from the Championship chalice it really does keep the petty jealousy to a minimum.

Go CW
Go MSML.
Go NB.
Go Versailles.
Go Anna and Minster (playing a regular season games, correct?)

Go MAC.

See ya'll next week and I hope as many of these teams win and advance.

Really? When you were saying FL was the best team in D7 and picking them over NB? Speaking of that, stick around because one of us has gotta tell the other they were right in a few hours

I'm an Ironton fan. Not a knock on WJ but they had better improved at los from last year. Now Ironton is D5 but got manhandled last November. This is a new year so can't go off that. The coldest water in the state 38 west Thomas Jefferson 14

I'm an Ironton fan. Not a knock on WJ but they had better improved at los from last year. Now Ironton is D5 but got manhandled last November. This is a new year so can't go off that. The coldest water in the state 38 west Thomas Jefferson 14
Ironton has been D5. It was WJ that dropped a division, not Ironton going up a division

True.

The Brody Hoying days at Coldwater made that offense extremely tough and it may be a long, long time (if ever) that the team has a playmaker like him again. Coach O would state 'Brody being Brody' and he could make any play call a successful one, especially with his legs, and his prowess on defense made him a game changer on both sides of the ball. There was also quite a bit of talent around him.

That is no knock on the teams since then as that squad was extremely special. Hopefully one day the CW program will again reach the pinnacle and hoist the gold trophy after the last game, but it is never a given. Too many expect that to be the norm and many believe it is Gold or bust. I guess those expectations are better than not having any at all, but an all or nothing approach by the fans will end most seasons in disappointment.

Go MAC>
Making playoffs may be expected by Cav fans. And maybe for many, making Regionals. But l believe most know that continuously bringing home a state title isn't realistic.

Well if history repeats itself this will be the end for W J"s playoff games. Heritage teams just do not stand up to the Mac very well. Mac teams just seems to play at another level that most HS teams to not even get close too.

Well it is game day.

Can the Buzzards take down the Roughriders in this.....titanic struggle? It's ashamed that the Supreme Leader is keeping thousands away from this matchup.

WJ fans make a trip early. The crown jewel of the village is Memorial Park across the street. Take a walk through and see all the great wood carvings from old ash trees.
Army, navy, air force, marines, coast.guard wood carvings are amazing. There is also one by the depot of a small train to honor it's heritage. By the baseball field, Veteran's Field (home of the 7 time champion cavalier baseball champs) there is a carving honoring Coach Lou Brunswick. Finally,overlooking Cavalier stadium is a large carving of St Francis.

Come early, go out to eat and have a drink, stroll through the park then enjoy the game.

Go MAC.
Go Cavs.

Making playoffs may be expected by Cav fans. And maybe for many, making Regionals. But l believe most know that continuously bringing home a state title isn't realistic.
I don't think any Coldwater fans thought the last few Coldwater teams, excluding this year's team, were possibly going to be state title contenders. We generally are realistic.

WJ fans. Because sometime this town makes questionable decisions like starting to redo a state route a week before school starts :rolleyes: , I reccomend taking 219 into town because 118 is still shutdown. I'd take it to Elm Street. Elm Street T's off at the basketball courts and Veterans Field. Turn right onto Vine St and about 20 Feet later turn left back onto Elm Street. Memorial Park is on the left and Cavalier Stadium will be on the right a quarter mile down the road on the right.

I don't think any Coldwater fans thought the last few Coldwater teams, excluding this year's team, were possibly going to be state title contenders. We generally are realistic.
Steered more to the voice ?

"Too many expect that to be the norm and many believe it is Gold or bust. I guess those expectations are better than not having any at all, but an all or nothing approach by the fans will end most seasons in disappointment."

Coldwater too much. Like I said over before it started. Let’s see if my 42-14 is close. May be worse. CW gonna score half of that 42 in the first quarter