Week 10: Mechanicsburg (8-1) at West Liberty-Salem (8-1)

Who wins?

• Mechanicsburg

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • WL-Salem

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters

This game is up there with some of the biggest I can recall from the series.

2004: 4-0 WL-S defeated 4-0 Mechanicsburg 21-7 at Mechanicsburg. Tigers went on to have a perfect season and their first ever playoff appearance. Burg finished 9-1.

2008: 9-0 Mechanicsburg defeated 9-0 WLS 10-7 at Mechanicsburg. Indians won the OHC Championship and made their first trip to the regional finals.

2013: 4-2 Mechanicsburg defeated 6-0 WLS 32-22 at WLS. The 2 teams met again in the regional championship, where 10-2 Mechanicsburg defeated 10-2 WLS 34-28 in double overtime to advance to the state semifinals.

2014: 5-1 WLS defeated 5-1 Mechanicsburg 42-38 at Mechanicsburg. Both teams would lose to state champion Minster in the playoffs (Burg in OT in the 1st round and WLS got blown out in the regional championship).

2015: 5-0 Mechanicsburg blew out 4-1 WLS 44-0 despite the high anticipation. I think this may have been the Burg's best team ever as they lost 9-7 in the regional finals to state runner-up Marion Local. WLS finished 8-2 and got knocked out in the 2nd round by Marion Local.

2017: The inadvertent whistle game. 4-1 Mechanicsburg defeats 5-0 WLS at Mechanicsburg 14-7. WLS blocked a go ahead field goal attempt up 7-6 and scooped up the ball. During the return, the referees blew the play dead and called and inadvertent whistle giving the Indians another shot. They took full advantage and went for it on 4th down, converted and scored the game winning TD and 2 point conversion. The loss kept a pretty good WLS team out of the playoffs that year.

I think the 2 biggest games were 2008 and the playoff game in 2014. But this is right up there. Playoff positioning and an OHC title on the line Friday night. Go Tigers!

Series History
Games played: 56
First played: 1964 at WL-S (Mechanicsburg 76, WL-S 0)
Last played: 2018 at WL-S (Mechanicsburg 28, WL-S 7)
Mechanicsburg leads the series 32-24.
Mechanicsburg leads the series at WL-S 15-12.
Most Mechanicsburg points: 76 in 1964 (Mechanicsburg 76, WL-S 0)
Most WL-S points: 56 in 1997 (WL-S 56, Mechanicsburg 26)
Most combined points: 82 in 1997 (WL-S 56, Mechanicsburg 26)
Longest Mechanicsburg win streak: 11 (1964-74)
Longest WL-S win streak: 4 (1975-78; 1995-98; 2009-12)

I like this game in Week 10. I think it should be there every year.
While I agree it can be exciting, I prefer the cupcake game week 10.
For yaers we had a great game week 10, league implications and all.
Then rotating the schedule and had some easy wins week 10 for a long time. Now back to a struggle week 10
Id prefer to have an easy one week ten to rest up for the playoffs

This game is up there with some of the biggest I can recall from the series.

2004: 4-0 WL-S defeated 4-0 Mechanicsburg 21-7 at Mechanicsburg. Tigers went on to have a perfect season and their first ever playoff appearance. Burg finished 9-1.

2008: 9-0 Mechanicsburg defeated 9-0 WLS 10-7 at Mechanicsburg. Indians won the OHC Championship and made their first trip to the regional finals.

2013: 4-2 Mechanicsburg defeated 6-0 WLS 32-22 at WLS. The 2 teams met again in the regional championship, where 10-2 Mechanicsburg defeated 10-2 WLS 34-28 in double overtime to advance to the state semifinals.

2014: 5-1 WLS defeated 5-1 Mechanicsburg 42-38 at Mechanicsburg. Both teams would lose to state champion Minster in the playoffs (Burg in OT in the 1st round and WLS got blown out in the regional championship).

2015: 5-0 Mechanicsburg blew out 4-1 WLS 44-0 despite the high anticipation. I think this may have been the Burg's best team ever as they lost 9-7 in the regional finals to state runner-up Marion Local. WLS finished 8-2 and got knocked out in the 2nd round by Marion Local.

2017: The inadvertent whistle game. 4-1 Mechanicsburg defeats 5-0 WLS at Mechanicsburg 14-7. WLS blocked a go ahead field goal attempt up 7-6 and scooped up the ball. During the return, the referees blew the play dead and called and inadvertent whistle giving the Indians another shot. They took full advantage and went for it on 4th down, converted and scored the game winning TD and 2 point conversion. The loss kept a pretty good WLS team out of the playoffs that year.

I think the 2 biggest games were 2008 and the playoff game in 2014. But this is right up there. Playoff positioning and an OHC title on the line Friday night. Go Tigers!

I thought 2016 was the inadvertent whistle game? Took a 60 yard fumble recovery for a touchdown just before halftime off the board for the Burg.
2014 It was a highly disputed 2OT loss to minster - looking out for your journalistic integrity
I remember a COLD week 10 game up there! Looks like this one will be that way too! Glad to know the tigers are going to be 100% and it should be a good game .

I thought 2016 was the inadvertent whistle game? Took a 60 yard fumble recovery for a touchdown just before halftime off the board for the Burg.
2014 It was a highly disputed 2OT loss to minster - looking out for your journalistic integrity
I remember a COLD week 10 game up there! Looks like this one will be that way too! Glad to know the tigers are going to be 100% and it should be a good game .

You curb-stomped us 31-0 in 2016.

Cant believe this fell to page 2!

I will defintely be there on Friday, this is a cant miss game.

Early thoughts....
I like WLS pass game. Woodruff boy is pretty accurate and thier WRs catch the ball well. And Burg doesn't seem to get a ton of pressure until they blitz. So if WLS can stay ahead of the chains, they can move the ball. But Burgs run D is stout. I saw Gabe Jones run through them, but that is an anomaly. Burg is GOOD on D. WLS had no run game last year against them.
Burgs offense is hot and cold to me. When it works... look out. But WJ slowed them and KR did as well, from watching those two games. BUt Burg has some crazy formations and that could give WLS trouble. THey also have the mental edge, having beat them 3 straight times.

So... it comes down to what most good games do. Turnovers and big plays. Burg gets a big 2 pt conversion late to eek one out. Burg by 1.... 22-21.

See, now we are having fun!

I didn’t realize you guys actually admitted the truth about things toad! I was beginning to wonder if you guys even had internet. ?