Week 1: Marion Local @ Indian Hill

I think Watterson would give you a different answer.
True.

BUUUUT, this Steiner team was their weakest in a decade plus. The versions of the Flyers that beat CJ would likely also have beaten Watterson. Said it from day one, I wish that MSML/CBW matchup was almost any of the last 5-10 years and not this season because of what the Flyers were losing but it is what it is.
Sometimes it isnt who you face, but when you face them! Number of years ago had Kenton fans bragging how they whooped on on CW and held them without a TD and CW went on to win the state championship. When you look into the details, the CW QB was playing his first game at QB in 3 years, and to top that off the coaching staff was not quite up to speed yet on how to use this kid's talents as well. Play in the latter half of the season and you likely have a different outcome but a win is a win and week 1 W (or L) counts the same as a week 10 W/L (all other things being equal of course).

Sure, most teams are better week 10 than they are win week 1 but depending on what you have coming back there are some teams, with inexperienced kids, who make a bigger jump in that time frame than some more experienced squads.

True.

BUUUUT, this Steiner team was their weakest in a decade plus. The versions of the Flyers that beat CJ would likely also have beaten Watterson. Said it from day one, I wish that MSML/CBW matchup was almost any of the last 5-10 years and not this season because of what the Flyers were losing but it is what it is

I'd further maintain that if MSML played Watterson later this season, MSML would win. Flyers had a bunch of new starters, bunch of turnovers that game. It was week 2 and MSML still managed to outgain Watterson on the ground and time of possession. I'm doubtful Watterson was better than MSML by season's end, but that's merely conjecture on my part.

enrollment does not matter when it comes to the MAC because just about every boy in that school will be on the team. ML dresses more than some D1 programs.....

I will never forget watching DSJ dismantle D1 at the time Worthington Kilbourne on the road..... IH will have their hands full with this one....

ML might win by 2 or 3 tds. but I wouldn't say they should win by that amount. I am fairly confident IH will have a talent advantage, hopefully the Flyers can overcome that through being better at blocking and tackling ( fundamentals ).
This guy ☝️?. Some years Marion has the talent to overcome deficits in that department. But, if you look at most Marion teams, fundamentals are keys to success. Getting lower than your opponent in the trenches, tackling to get on the ground rather than make the biggest hit you can (often all 11 guys are making the tackle which is why Marion never has any guy lead the league in tackles), and just playing smart. This is why Marion is good, it is all fundamental and Goodwin has instilled it in the program. The kids have never been any different than they are today, they just play differently. If Marion had all the talent more of their players would go D1 rather than maybe 1 every blue moon.

I'd further maintain that if MSML played Watterson later this season, MSML would win. Flyers had a bunch of new starters, bunch of turnovers that game. It was week 2 and MSML still managed to outgain Watterson on the ground and time of possession. I'm doubtful Watterson was better than MSML by season's end, but that's merely conjecture on my part.

I'd agree that it would have been a much, much closer game later in the season. This one was close until late in the second half.

ML might running clock IH on any given year and would likely beat Wyoming but probably closer than IH game and I'm a cincy football guy.

And to quantify my prediction..

Coldwater running clocks Mt Healthy (at MH)

Wyoming beats MH on last second fg.

ML beats Coldwater... handily.

And to quantify my prediction..

Coldwater running clocks Mt Healthy (at MH)

Wyoming beats MH on last second fg.

ML beats Coldwater... handily.
it’s hard to really use that method.. it doesn’t always make sense. with that being said i don’t think the Locals put a running clock on wyoming, it would probably be a 2-3 score game (now without evan prater.. maybe a different story)