Week 1: Lasalle

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 all at half. That late 14 point swing was a tough break, but if you’re a Elder you’ve got to feel good about this half, especially the offense which moved the ball very well.

Also, if LS does score to start the half, you Cannot panic. You’ve got to stay with what worked on offense and keep grinding up yards on the ground.

53-52 LS in dbl ot. Elder has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of, this team answered every thing LS threw at them.

LS’s DBs should probably spend less time running their mouths in the media and more time in practice. They got their a** tore up tonight.

Overall, it’s impossible to be upset with Elder’s performance. The OL played extremely well for being such a new unit, and Hambleton really threw the ball well. Nieman also took a huge step forward as did Johnson. Of course Ramsey was excellent and contributed to the game in all difft facets.

The Defense is going to struggle vs speed. There’s nothing they can really do about that. All they can do is get better tackling, which you should see as the season goes on.

STs were decent. Kicking game looks stable, but Mueller didn’t get a chance to kick many deep. Punting is going to have to get better. The Fake punt read was excellent, but other times it’s best not to get too fancy.

This is mostly a meaningless game, but it definitely stinks to lose this one. They had multiple chances to pull off the upset. It's a shame, because this is Lasalle's last run. All they have is Payne and Haywood next year. Elder won't lose to Lasalle again for a long time, and they dang near did it this year. The defense needs a lot of work. The tackling and angles on some plays were really bad.

The two biggest plays were the two TDS where Payne was stopped, reversed the other way and scored.
That’s where Elder just doesn’t have the speed. However, there’s not many RBs that also have the ability to do that

That’s where Elder just doesn’t have the speed. However, there’s not many RBs that also have the ability to do that

True, but you also can't get out of position either. Payne is probably the best RB they will face this year, and Branham is a good, seasoned dual threat. They can only go up from here. I don't think that gets them off the hook for a poor defensive performance, but it's not all bad.

They still are getting full rides. Tonight should be a wake up call for them though.

It should be a wake up call bc other than Ramsey, none of Elder’s WRs or RBs are playing D1. I think Nieman has one offer from Baldwin Wallace and he made them look silly.

My random Elder thoughts after arriving home...

The Good: Cooper Johnson is a stud. Elder o-line gave QB time and opened holes up. Hambleton had a really nice first game. He looked a bit more athletic and elusive than I thought he would. He throws a nice ball. Elder WR's and Ramsey are big targets. You put 52 points on the board, you really should win every time. Fake punt was perfectly executed. Kicker was impressive.

The Areas of Improvement: Hambleton has a tendency to float the ball a bit. Ramsey needs to work on his passing so at least the defense thinks he may throw. Fix the bad snaps. Defense is badly undersized. Did Stemler get hurt? The ejection of Thomas was utter bullsh!t. Didn't see anyone on defense that stood out as a playmaker. Surprised Mitchell didnt make more plays. Elder needs more athletes going both ways. Optimistic they will get it turned around like last year.

The ??????: Surprised Ramsey did not go for two and the win. He has to trust his offense way more than his defense. Elder wasn't stopping LaSalle. Go for two and let your team make a play. On the LaSalle two-point conversion, either Payne or the LaSalle QB were carrying the ball 100 out of 100 times. Why go cover/stay with WR split outside? Send your entire defense crashing towards the ball. Also, Elder has room for thousands more fans. The entire horse-shoe endzone was empty. Why not fill it up? Also, how can LaSalle bring cheerleaders and Elder cannot?

Overall, I'd give them a solid B. A- on offense and C- on defense. LaSalle has next level athletes so we will see how Elder adjusts ongoing.

Last edited:
Hambleton is going to be really good come playoff time. He does float the ball sometimes as if he is trying to make the perfect pass. He has cannon for an arm and I think once he gets more comfortable he will show off his arm. Elder is going to be fine.

The Good: Cooper Johnson is a stud. Elder o-line gave QB time and opened holes up. Hambleton had a really nice first game. He looked a bit more athletic and elusive than I thought he would. He throws a nice ball. Elder WR's and Ramsey are big targets. You put 52 points on the board, you really should win every time. Fake punt was perfectly executed. Kicker game was impressive.

The Bad: Hambleton has a tendency to float the ball a bit. Ramsey needs to work on his passing so at least the defense thinks he may throw. Fix the bad snaps. Defense is badly undersized. Did Stemler get hurt? The ejection of Thomas was utter bullsh!t. Didn't see anyone on defense that stood out as a playmaker. Surprised Mitchell didnt make more plays. Elder needs more athletes going both ways. Optimistic they will get it turned around like last year.

The ??????: Surprised Ramsey did not go for two and the win. He has to trust his offense way more than his defense. Elder wasn't stopping LaSalle. Go for two and let your team make a play. Also, Elder has room for thousands more fans. The entire horse-shoe endzone was empty. Why not fill it up? Also, how can LaSalle bring cheerleaders and Elder cannot?

I thought the last TD it was time to for 2, because Lasalle was wearing down a little and they almost walked in on the TD. Either way, the Defense needs to come up with a stop too.

I don't know what happened to Stemler, but I don't think he played the 4th quarter? What happened to Thomas? I figured he must have got hurt.

Hambleton is going to be really good come playoff time. He does float the ball sometimes as if he is trying to make the perfect pass. He has cannon for an arm and I think once he gets more comfortable he will show off his arm. Elder is going to be fine.

First time I've seen him really. He had a good game. Elder is in for a couple good years with him and Ramsey.

The Good: Cooper Johnson is a stud. Elder o-line gave QB time and opened holes up. Hambleton had a really nice first game. He looked a bit more athletic and elusive than I thought he would. He throws a nice ball. Elder WR's and Ramsey are big targets. You put 52 points on the board, you really should win every time. Fake punt was perfectly executed. Kicker game was impressive.

The Bad: Hambleton has a tendency to float the ball a bit. Ramsey needs to work on his passing so at least the defense thinks he may throw. Fix the bad snaps. Defense is badly undersized. Did Stemler get hurt? The ejection of Thomas was utter bullsh!t. Didn't see anyone on defense that stood out as a playmaker. Surprised Mitchell didnt make more plays. Elder needs more athletes going both ways. Optimistic they will get it turned around like last year.

The ??????: Surprised Ramsey did not go for two and the win. He has to trust his offense way more than his defense. Elder wasn't stopping LaSalle. Go for two and let your team make a play. Also, Elder has room for thousands more fans. The entire horse-shoe endzone was empty. Why not fill it up? Also, how can LaSalle bring cheerleaders and Elder cannot?

All of the role players on Offense made huge plays. Nieman and Sabato especially. Hambleton did look really good for his 1st game. Obviously, he’s going to make mistakes, but he looked far better than o thought he would. That TD pass to Nieman in OT was beautiful.

I didn’t even realize Stemler was out until you mentioned it. That’s a huge absence since he’s their best LB. The D is absolutely undersized upfront, but they can’t do anything about that. All they can do is work to get better fundamentally.

I thought the last TD it was time to for 2, because Lasalle was wearing down a little and they almost walked in on the TD. Either way, the Defense needs to come up with a stop too.

I don't know what happened to Stemler, but I don't think he played the 4th quarter? What happened to Thomas? I figured he must have got hurt.
Thomas got ejected.

Smith didn't play the entire second half.
He got tossed after his 2nd PF. McLaughlin might be a great QB Coach but he has zero discipline of his team. How many PFs tonight? 4 or 5? That’s not week 1 mistakes, that’s bad coaching.

He got tossed after his 2nd PF. McLaughlin might be a great QB Coach but he has zero discipline of his team. How many PFs tonight? 4 or 5? That’s not week 1 mistakes, that’s bad coaching.

Refs might have been calling this too tight. Hate to see players getting ejected unless it was really bad.

Refs might have been calling this too tight. Hate to see players getting ejected unless it was really bad.
He got 2 Unsportsmanlike penalties and was tossed. Getting one might be an uptight ref, but if you can’t control yourself knowing your next one is an ejection, that’s on you.

I’m told Thomas threw a punch, so I can’t object to him being tossed. He lost his cool and it cost Elder. I don’t think his backup got burnt, but he would’ve been valuable in containment vs the run.

He got 2 Unsportsmanlike penalties and was tossed. Getting one might be an uptight ref, but if you can’t control yourself knowing your next one is an ejection, that’s on you.

I’m told Thomas threw a punch, so I can’t object to him being tossed. He lost his cool and it cost Elder. I don’t think his backup got burnt, but he would’ve been valuable in containment vs the run.

Lessons learned I guess. I'd have to see a replay, but I've seen a lot of things get resolved by the refs getting players together and warning/calming them down. Some good refs have the ability to control the game and not have to resort to ejections.

Lessons learned I guess. I'd have to see a replay, but I've seen a lot of things get resolved by the refs getting players together and warning/calming them down. Some good refs have the ability to control the game and not have to resort to ejections.
If you throw a punch, no matter how big or small, you get tossed. It’s the right call.

And again, if you cant Control yourself to not get a 2nd Unsportsmanlike penalty, that’s your fault.

The officiating was very good tonight. I feel the need to say that, bc they never get credit for calling a good game, but they were fair tonight.

And to be clear, there’s hard a** guys, like the official in the b-ball Tournament game vs Anderson, who look to inject themselves. This wasn’t the case, it was ticky tack trash talking or celebrating, these were physical altercations.

Someone who has access to the film please let me know if Thomas "threw a punch" b/c it looked like off the ball hand-fighting with a WR. Elder was shocked he was tossed. They didn't even know it. Tried to put him back in the game and the ref let them know he had been ejected.

Tonight’s Officiating Crew is one of the best the OHSAA has to offer in entire state. No warnings on a thrown puch(?). 2 PFs results in Ejection by Rule?

Two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties are an automatic ejection. Not all personal fouls are unsportsmanlike conduct.

Enforcement of Penalties for Personal Fouls and Unsportsmanlike Conduct Fouls Rule 9-4 provides a list of illegal personal contact fouls. These acts are illegal due to the potential for injury to an opponent. With a few notable exceptions, these fouls do not carry an automatic disqualification, although disqualification may result if the covering official judges the foul to be flagrant. Additionally, the penalties for repeated violations in the same game are not cumulative. For example, if a player pulls a ball carrier down by the face mask and later in the game commits a taunting foul, the player remains in the game. Unnecessary roughness fouls are personal fouls — not unsportsmanlike conduct fouls — and are not being included in the specific fouls that would lead to disqualification unless the act is flagrant. Unsportsmanlike conduct fouls never involve contact with an opponent.

Game officials need to be aware of all circumstances before enforcing the distance penalty for a personal foul as there are several factors to be evaluated, such as the type of play (loose ball vs. running play), whether there was a change of possession, whether a score occurred during the play or whether a double foul or multiple fouls occurred.

Rules 9-5 and 9-8-1 define noncontact unsportsmanlike conduct and provide general examples of such fouls including using profanity, vulgar language or gestures, attempting to influence a game official’s decision, a coach allowing his players to use illegal equipment, being on the field except as a substitute or replaced player and several other situations.

Specific examples of unsportsmanlike conduct include but are not limited to the following: any delayed, excessive or prolonged act by which a player attempts to focus attention upon himself; using abusive, threatening or insulting language or gestures to opponents, teammates or game officials; or using baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.

Unsportsmanlike conduct fouls accumulate and any player or non-player who receives two such fouls is automatically disqualified from the contest. However, any single foul judged by the game official to be flagrant is disqualification. Unsportsmanlike conduct penalties are always enforced from the succeeding spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.