WEEK 1 Brunswick V Medina

This is expected to be another tough year for the Bees. They should be better than last year, which isn't saying much.

They are implementing a new offense... anything is better than what I saw last year, and based on the talent, should have a better defense.

I know the JV played well last year and JV success rarely translates to varsity success, but there is more talent on the 2013 Bees than last year.

On a positive note, they performed well at Avon Lake in a 7 on 7, and Coach Sutherland has a good relationship with former coach Larry Laird and picks his brain as often as he can.

The way to early prediction -
Brunswick 28
Medina 3

I am hearing some backchannel reports that Medina may be a lot better than most people expect.

I am starting to think this should be a pretty competitive game! Of course I will be cheering for the Blue Devils!

^^^ Delusions of grandeur I'm guessing...

How many of you Bruns-TUCKY folk will be at the game in Medina? i am planning a trip back to the alma mater. We can meet up for either a pregame drink or a halftime hot dog.

GO BEES?

I am hearing some backchannel reports that Medina may be a lot better than most people expect.

I am starting to think this should be a pretty competitive game! Of course I will be cheering for the Blue Devils!

Intresting. Who did you hear that from? If you dont mind me asking

RE: the Bees

From a second hand source (I was out of town), the offense looked very good in last week's scrimmage and the defense played fast and aggressive.

Play calling was about 80/20 run/pass which lines up with what I saw in earlier practices.

The 'rose colored glasses dads' that I talked to felt the 2013 Bees will be much better than the 2012 Bees.

Now for the reality check, the scrimmage partner was Parma. They were just as bad as us last year and may not be any better this year. BUT, the vibe is better and attitude is better than last year.

This coming Friday is a preview/scrimmage against North Olmsted (7-3 last year) so we'll see if the trend is still up, or not.

Week 1! It's finally here!

For a team that is heavily favored like Brunswick the key is get out to a fast start. Don't let the Bees hang around! If you let them hold an early lead or even hang close they might get enough confidence to win.

Hit them hard early, score early!

Good Luck and Good Health to all!

Go Blue!

If brunswick gets off to a fast start they will more than likely blow medina out as expected. However idk if that will be the case as theyve come out flat in every scrimmage so far. Maybe this team just needs a real game before they play with some emotion! Also the offense is riding on steve ficyks preformance, ive seen him look like an elite QB and ive seen him make amatuer mistakes hopefully he learns fast and this could be a real good blue devil team. Go Big Blue!

Sorry Medina, the Blue Devils laid a can of whoop on you! Final score 42 to 13. Medina's second TD came against all backups, mostly JVs.

Game started a little slow for Brunswick, they received the kickoff and drove nearly to midfield before losing a fumble. Medina went 3 and out, the the Blue Devils drove the length of the field for a 7 to 0 lead. There was no looking back. The closest Medina got was 14 to 7.

Medina has a little speed, but their speed players are small. Not a lot of size, #53 was a stud on defense, but he didn't have a lot of help.

Brunswick looked good on both sides of the ball. They were rotating several players on the D-line battling the heat. The O-line blocked well for the most part. QB Steve Ficyk had some early game jitters but settled down nicely. He made some nice throws to Gary Clift, and a ~60 yard TD strike to Zach Parker that was a thing of beauty!

On defense both Inside LBs, #37 Ambrose, and #42 really stood out! #7 Kelty had some nice hits and chased down #6 from behind when it looked like he could go all the way.

Give me 2 more weeks and I will tell you if Brunswick is this good, or Medina is going to have a really long season. One really nice thing is that the game had to be a sellout. The stands on both sides were full with many people standing all around the track.

Next week is Padua, let's fill up Judy Kirsch Stadium and support the kids. They play hard! Go Blue!

Medina had a opportunity a few yrs ago to be good for a long time when they hired Laird from Avon lake to be the Coach. All he did was take them to the playoffs and the go to Canton McK and beat them in the 1st round. All he wanted was a teaching job in the system but was turned down. I guess paying the super 250,000 for college and 100,000 bonus plus salary on top was money better spent, but hey as long as it's for the kids.

Id have to agree with mooze, there wasnt a single play of the game that i thought medina had a chance of winning. The offense is very diverse! 5 different players found the endzone tonight! Ficyk threw for well over 200 yards i believe and 3 touchdowns in his varsity debut, Not bad!