We have been Cleared for Launch( I believe)

How shocked are you that we are probably playing

• Expected it

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Not suprised but unsure

Votes: 23 19.5%
  • Didn't expect it but pleasantly surprised

Votes: 55 46.6%
  • split about the descision

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • unhappy about the decision

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
PA has been on track to start same week as Ohio and then, the governor made a last second comment at the end of a press conference that he wouldn't have sports until after the first of the year.

But it's not the state's official position. But when the governor says that, it's hard to justify disagreeing with him. So piaa delayed by two weeks to try and get him to rescind his comment or actually make it the rule so the piaa could work off that. Nope.

So right now piaa is still trying to get Wolf's unofficial recommendation to be dropped so they don't have to argue why they're playing.

But right now PA is expected to have a shortened season and the playoffs will probably be a week or two shorter with far fewer teams getting in. Expecting finals to be the week of Thanksgiving which is two weeks early for PA than their usual title weekend.
They had their meeting with Governor Wolf. He was still sticking with his recommendation of no HS sports until at least January 1. Also I am hearing that if districts decide to go against his recommendation, it would be a 10 week regular season only.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the proposed plan is to limit the varsity players allowed to be no more than 60? I know St. X usually dresses over a 100 players, what happens with these guys who have practiced thriugh the weeks? Will they be barred from the stadium?
Rugg from the OHSAA said the 60 player limit on the sidelines csne from Husted and he is adamant about it. I would expect that to be the rule. It will be interesting to see who will actually have JV games this season. With the added expenses and headaches it would surprise me if schools or even the state shut down JV and freshmen games, which would suck. I really do think bands are going to be in for some dissapointment too.

Rugg from the OHSAA said the 60 player limit on the sidelines csne from Husted and he is adamant about it. I would expect that to be the rule. It will be interesting to see who will actually have JV games this season. With the added expenses and headaches it would surprise me if schools or even the state shut down JV and freshmen games, which would suck. I really do think bands are going to be in for some dissapointment too.
I heard someone suggest jv teams would consist of frosh/sophs and their games would be played at 5:30 at the same site as the varsity games rather than alternating sites. No frosh Thursday games. Jv games would be shortened to eight minute quarters. Take that for what it’s worth. I don’t know how teams can get to distant games by 5 but that’s just the word I have heard by more than one person.

I’m fine if Bands don’t travel, but if they allow football and don’t allow home bands to play, good luck with that. All hell will break lose.

And they will die, because their stupid Fox news viewers. I guess 50% of children with covid is acceptable with permanent heart damage is ok in your fox news bubble. The complete stupid yappie Trump cult members are laughable with their ignorance. Flush the turd november third!
This is utterly false. 50% of children will not suffer permanent heart damage. Hardly any will suffer heart permanent heart damage. Stop spreading lies.

I thought it was about kids needing extracurriculars? Now you’re saying only certain ones good at football should screw off? Oof
They can cheer or play instruments at their own events.
I’m fine if Bands don’t travel, but if they allow football and don’t allow home bands to play, good luck with that. All hell will break lose.
In Utah there were no bands for the two games I went to. No hell broke loose. Though there was a fire tornado in California today...

20200815_220507.jpg
20200815_220537.jpg

If we aren't allowing crowds, cheerleaders and bands add some level of atmosphere to the game. If possible I would like to see bands and cheerleaders at the games.

What added expenses?

And schools have rescheduled JV games as they have rescheduled their varsity season.

If we aren't allowing crowds, cheerleaders and bands add some level of atmosphere to the game. If possible I would like to see bands and cheerleaders at the games.
I've heard four league commissioners say they plan to have at least home team bands and cheerleaders.

I heard someone suggest jv teams would consist of frosh/sophs and their games would be played at 5:30 at the same site as the varsity games rather than alternating sites. No frosh Thursday games. Jv games would be shortened to eight minute quarters. Take that for what it’s worth. I don’t know how teams can get to distant games by 5 but that’s just the word I have heard by more than one person.
That is a good plan. I really hope there are JV games.

What added expenses?

And schools have rescheduled JV games as they have rescheduled their varsity season.
I am talking about bussing if need be, sanitizer(it may not seem like much but it will add up and it is going to be hard to get) plus getting refs on board for added games. JV needs to happen, especially with limits on rosters, I hope all schools that play varsity play JV but not sure how it will play out.

That is a good plan. I really hope there are JV games.

If you didn’t have them, it wouldn’t be worth it to officiate this season. A lot of your earnings as a ref are from Thursday Junior High games and Saturday morning JV games.

I’m very pessimistic here but it’s anecdotal. My company is not allowing me to ref because the state of Ohio doesn’t have what they consider proper protocols. I’m in a corporate position at my work and if I were to go down for a week it could be impactful to us.

If you didn’t have them, it wouldn’t be worth it to officiate this season. A lot of your earnings as a ref are from Thursday Junior High games and Saturday morning JV games.

I’m very pessimistic here but it’s anecdotal. My company is not allowing me to ref because the state of Ohio doesn’t have what they consider proper protocols. I’m in a corporate position at my work and if I were to go down for a week it could be impactful to us.
And there's a lot of older officials that are going to have to make that decision themselves as well. If it's just one game a week.... Is it worth it? Both the pay and the risk?

But with many schools delayed or canceled it may work out. And at worst there's some Saturday games possible for officials to double dip.

I am talking about bussing if need be, sanitizer(it may not seem like much but it will add up and it is going to be hard to get) plus getting refs on board for added games. JV needs to happen, especially with limits on rosters, I hope all schools that play varsity play JV but not sure how it will play out.
Well they travel by bus anyway and yeah there will be a small expense to sanitize the bus.

Refs are being scheduled right now, and there aren't any added games. In fact with because some school are not having sports, or delaying, or rearranging teams, there are actually fewer games.

And there's a lot of older officials that are going to have to make that decision themselves as well. If it's just one game a week.... Is it worth it? Both the pay and the risk?

But with many schools delayed or canceled it may work out. And at worst there's some Saturday games possible for officials to double dip.
I know that some officials are taking the year off. I personally do not know any.

There is a declining number of officials in Ohio. In some parts of the state sub-varsity games are frequently worked by 3-man crews because a 4th isn't available. And if a varsity crew needs a sub on Friday night, well good luck. I know that some leagues in NW Ohio have talked about scheduling games on Saturday if need be, but I don't think any have been.

Actually we had two non-league Saturday games scheduled but when everything was rescheduled their new league games went to Friday. So we lost two "double-dip" weekends.

Is this a rhetorical question?
No it is a legit question. This was in the church bulleting this morning, Quote : Gov. DeWine issued a state wide order that mandates the wearing of masks or face coverings while indoors except at your place of residence and outside when you cannot physically distance 6 feet or more. So are masks effective against Covid or not. If they are, anybody should be allowed into the stadiums as long as they have a mask. Also could sell masks at the door extra money for the boosters. If masks are not effective than don't lie to the public that they are.

Well the problem with varsity games is that they’re done via crews, typically you have a few guys that do every game or rotate covering a county or neighboring districts for less than varsity.

But the risk is great for your older refs, and the game is already getting dangerous for them because of the speed that goes along with the spread offense.

I’m 29 and not allowed to ref, shows how worried people are in general on this coronavirus

Well the problem with varsity games is that they’re done via crews, typically you have a few guys that do every game or rotate covering a county or neighboring districts for less than varsity.

But the risk is great for your older refs, and the game is already getting dangerous for them because of the speed that goes along with the spread offense.

I’m 29 and not allowed to ref, shows how worried people are in general on this coronavirus
Honest question, does your job have restrictions on other things that you would do outside of work? Like taking vacations or going to functions like weddings, grad parties etc? If not I'm curious as to why they deemed reffing more dangerous than other activities?

This is utterly false. 50% of children will not suffer permanent heart damage. Hardly any will suffer heart permanent heart damage. Stop spreading lies.
This is the issue we face right now. Outright lies and information is passed off as fact. People believe it and policies are set that affect everyone.

Honest question, does your job have restrictions on other things that you would do outside of work? Like taking vacations or going to functions like weddings, grad parties etc? If not I'm curious as to why they deemed reffing more dangerous than other activities?
He is just that important..............

You shouldn’t have bands... PERIOD!!!
Instruments are like giant, loud, spit cannons anyway!!! Spreading diseases faster than a sneeze in an elevator!!!
Fear the band section!!!

According to sources, DeWine gives the Green Light on Tuesday for teams to play pending a "strong recommendation for schools to follow their local county's testing requirements and health board orders".

I'm not really sure what exactly that means, will we have to test? Will some counties not play at all?

Is playing any sport likely to increase your risk of contracting Covid significantly? With protocols they are better monitored than most students and hopefully less likely to engage in more risky situations to protect their seasons.