We did it.

Supertramp

I would like to congratulate all athletes, coaches, parents, meet workers, athletic directors, and anyone else who helped make this Cross-Country season possible. Truly cannot understate all of the effort and work that went into even making this season happen at all, not to mention us having a season that made it all the way through to the end. Everyone took the hard work on and made this season a reality, and people easily could have chosen not to. I’m so incredibly thankful for that.

Praying and hoping the 2021 season comes easily and as a relief to us all.

Amen. Well-stated Supertramp!

Thank-you to all the leaders in our sport that put together the guidelines that gave the OHSAA confidence for XC to move forward.

Thank-you to all the meet directors who adapted to these guidelines and implemented them with fidelity.

Thank-you to all the coaches who led their athletes and parents in adapting to this new reality while maintaining amazing athletic programs without missing a beat. Your leadership in showing how to achieve big goals despite any hurdles that end up in your path is invaluable to all of your athletes far beyond their athletics. As with any season there are always painful disappointments. Quarantines and other COVID issues only added to those disappointments. I encourage all to take the time to make a list of all the successes and to be thankful for each of them no matter how small. You've made a difference.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt

I am glad we made it to the end, no doubt about that.
BUT, a few observances from a far:
1. I noticed there was 180 plus (I believe 183) in the D3 boys race, I guess it was okay to go over since it was State?
2. I see tents were up at State but District we had to camp out in our bus!
3. I heard the kids were allowed runouts at State but that was a no no at District and Regional.
So was this because it was the last meet of the year and we had reached the finish line or because the virus does not exist any longer since the election is over?

1. I noticed there was 180 plus (I believe 183) in the D3 boys race, I guess it was okay to go over since it was State?
3. I heard the kids were allowed runouts at State but that was a no no at District and Regional.
So was this because it was the last meet of the year and we had reached the finish line or because the virus does not exist any longer since the election is over?
Using a bus instead of an open air tent is the worst idea I’ve heard all season! Really makes you wonder what they were thinking.

From what I know about some of this.
1) the ruling was for above 150 not 180 or less. That was for all regionals and state but each local health dept had to approve it.
2) Again this was due to local rules and state meet was franklin county which allowed it for this meet. (cedarville district had tents setup)
3) runouts were done but I wouldn't say they were allowed I think the officials were not going to fight it. I also saw runouts at regionals.

When will things be updated and results posted on the OHSAA site? I prefer looking at the results in that format.

Whenever they post them. I sent them the pdf files that night. You can also see them in the official link by clicking the button at the top of the live results page.

Last edited:
Now getting it done this indoor season is going to me a monumental task. Already up north Mentor has went to on line learning and temporarily postponed their winter athletics. The wheels in my head are really turning. I would be lying if I wasn’t concerned about the safety of the students,coaches, and officials at large unventilated indoor facilities. Any suggestions?

I sincerely doubt many indoor track meets happen, if any. Given how bad COVID is right now, and the nature of Indoor track meets (a lot of people packed into a small space...) I personally would not attend a single indoor meet even if we had them. Not trying to be negative, they just seem like a really bad idea right now. I feel like I get sick at indoor meets when we aren't in the middle of a pandemic.

I also doubt teams/schools/coaches will be eager to fight hard for an Indoor season when we have Outdoor just around the corner.

I'm very confident we will have an Outdoor Track season though. The vaccine will have been distributed to at least healthcare workers and those most vulnerable by the outdoor state meet, and it could even be making it's way to everyone else by then.

I sincerely doubt many indoor track meets happen, if any. Given how bad COVID is right now, and the nature of Indoor track meets (a lot of people packed into a small space...) I personally would not attend a single indoor meet even if we had them. Not trying to be negative, they just seem like a really bad idea right now. I feel like I get sick at indoor meets when we aren't in the middle of a pandemic.

I also doubt teams/schools/coaches will be eager to fight hard for an Indoor season when we have Outdoor just around the corner.

I'm very confident we will have an Outdoor Track season though. The vaccine will have been distributed to at least healthcare workers and those most vulnerable by the outdoor state meet, and it could even be making it's way to everyone else by then.
Just risking officials seems like it cancels the season. It's all going to depend on Colleges for indoor track and field. I was told a few weeks ago they still planned on a season, but no fans at all. We started November off with about 200k cases from the start of the Pandemic until that point. November will take that number past 300k. If deaths follow in proportion or even close, we are in for some restrictions. Positive rates are over 10% and rising. That does not bode well. I'm worried a bit about outdoor. Are we going to only be able to conduct practices outdoors? Will we condense the season or expand it?

In North Carolina, they just started training for CC. Dual and Tri meets only for now. My daughter says they have already lost some real good kids for lack of interest. No training over the summer and have just given up on doing anything this year. Cross was bad enough this year. I need an outdoor track season.

I reached out to all the indoor facilities and this is what I have gotten back from each.
AS OF NOW THESE COLLEGES WILL NOT BE HOSTING HS MEETS (number of meets in the past)
Akron (4)
Bowling Green (2)
Capital (2)
Cedarville (2)
Findlay (4)
Marietta (2)
Mount Union (2)
Oberlin (4)
Ohio Northern (1)
Ohio State (4)
Ohio Weslyan (2)
Otterbein (4)

THESE COLLEGES ARE PLANNING TO HAVE MEETS
Logan (?) planning on having meets
Kent St. (3) planning on having meets
Mt. Vernon (?) planning on having meets
Tiffin (4) still waiting approval
Youngstown St. (4) planning on having meets
Spire (?) Planning on having meets

Reactions: VFL
I reached out to all the indoor facilities and this is what I have gotten back from each.
AS OF NOW THESE COLLEGES WILL NOT BE HOSTING HS MEETS (number of meets in the past)
Akron (4)
Bowling Green (2)
Capital (2)
Cedarville (2)
Findlay (4)
Marietta (2)
Mount Union (2)
Oberlin (4)
Ohio Northern (1)
Ohio State (4)
Ohio Weslyan (2)
Otterbein (4)

THESE COLLEGES ARE PLANNING TO HAVE MEETS
Logan (?) planning on having meets
Kent St. (3) planning on having meets
Mt. Vernon (?) planning on having meets
Tiffin (4) still waiting approval
Youngstown St. (4) planning on having meets
Spire (?) Planning on having meets
Did they give you any idea about spectators or number of participants? I had talked to someone at Kent and was told they planned on having them but no spectators. Do you realistically see this happening as with nearly 2/3 of the facilities not doing it, the other ones will have mass entries and no way health departments are going to let it happen.

Most said no spectators but I think they are still trying to figure it out.
Myself, I do not see indoor happening (at least I think the state meet should not happen). The state meet would not be a real state meet as southern schools will have a hard time getting qualifying marks since no tracks other than logan are in the area. If you think about the limits they put on everything else this year, a meet will allow probably no more than 400 athletes total, you could have a seperate day for boys and girls but then again you have the cost associated with that. Not sure some of these facilities can even turn the lights on for 400 athletes. Spire will have the best chance of having meets just due to size and the ability to make space between athlete camps. But like you said earlier, how many officials are willing to come to the meet.
Just my 2 cents.

There was plenty of fear going into the XC season, if we'd have even one race, the spread of the virus, possible death of runners or officials and yet we ended up having a full season! Not only did we have it, there was no spread of the virus from teams to teams, etc. The teams followed the protocols they were given and the statistics have shown schools and sports are safer than being out in the public. The kids have no problem wearing the masks and it's typically the adults who try and not wear them.

Will we have an indoor season? That is to be determined by the local health officials where these Indoor Facilities are located, their protocols (hopefully realistic) and how fearful they are. (If it's in Butler county there won't be any!)
Will there be parents? I can't imagine they'd be allowed because of capacity to the buildings and they should be able to watch a live stream from MileSplit. Just have the officials, athletes and the coaches.

If we are looking to better the sport of T&F for the state than we need to have meets were the fields are limited to the top seeded athletes from last years indoor times (verified) and/or if those who can get into meets this year and get a solid mark. I know that this sounds harsh but we don't have the space/luxury to multiple heats with slow kids.
Just some thoughts to stir the pot!

Most said no spectators but I think they are still trying to figure it out.
Myself, I do not see indoor happening (at least I think the state meet should not happen). The state meet would not be a real state meet as southern schools will have a hard time getting qualifying marks since no tracks other than logan are in the area. If you think about the limits they put on everything else this year, a meet will allow probably no more than 400 athletes total, you could have a seperate day for boys and girls but then again you have the cost associated with that. Not sure some of these facilities can even turn the lights on for 400 athletes. Spire will have the best chance of having meets just due to size and the ability to make space between athlete camps. But like you said earlier, how many officials are willing to come to the meet.
Just my 2 cents.

Did you check with Wittenberg?

As psychodad pointed out, with infections and hospitalizations headed in the direction they are headed, I am more worried about losing another outdoor season than in trying to get in an indoor season. If you look at the actual square footage of indoor track facilities, even the largest ones will struggle to allow even 300-400 total athletes to compete. Just not seeing any way very many places will open up. Way too much risk for too little reward.

I agree with everyone concerning indoor facilities. That seems to be a big reach. What has been the thoughts on basketball? I suppose wrestling is definitely a no-go? Where do the other sports stand at this time? To me it seems hard to drop indoor track and allow basketball.

I agree with everyone concerning indoor facilities. That seems to be a big reach. What has been the thoughts on basketball? I suppose wrestling is definitely a no-go? Where do the other sports stand at this time? To me it seems hard to drop indoor track and allow basketball.
Indoor track is different. It's not OHSAA and it's dependent on college facilities. Hospitalizations for Covid is up to 481 so far in Ohio for 19 and under. We just need to hope that doesn't increase much.

Wittenberg is not hosting any hs meets this year. I am trying now to see if the facility could be rented while they are not in school to possibly host a few meets in late december and early january during the week nights. Discussing with health dept as to what they will allow me.

Youngstown was just told by health dept that they would be limited to 300 total in facility so they are most likely not hosting hs now either.

Working with those who are planning on hosting about guidelines to present to health dept for approval.

As of now, wrestling is still on. Big multi-team meets are a no-go, however. Swimming is also taking a beating because of closed or highly restricted venues for training and competing.

I think having winter sports is likely going to depend on people altering their behavior so that we don't stay on the current trajectory. We can all make our own predictions about how likely that is. Damn I wish it really was a liberal conspiracy against Trump and had gone away on November 4 as predicted...