WCPO Spotlight on DA Impact on HS sports

why back down come on now you "think" he is higher than a say coach. my daughters coach played college ball and coached darn high level club teams in the day and has some good success at the hs level. the guy won a state title now pretty sure he could coach a say team. lots of coaches do both club and hs and have great success they cant suck at one and be good at the other

why back down come on now you "think" he is higher than a say coach. my daughters coach played college ball and coached darn high level club teams in the day and has some good success at the hs level. the guy won a state title now pretty sure he could coach a say team. lots of coaches do both club and hs and have great success they cant suck at one and be good at the other

I agree.. But depending on what definition of high level you are using it can vary. He has had a lot of success and was not trying to diminish any of his success. Maybe I didnt chose the correct words for you but I know him and I know what he can do as a coach and his teams are successful.

but youd agree that on this board most of the talk is about hs and club and not pro level stuff. all im sayin is that i think he must be doing something right and for hs seems to have reached a high level the whole say thing just struck me as kinda backing off your original comment because someone said he wasnt. glad to see you clarify

but youd agree that on this board most of the talk is about hs and club and not pro level stuff. all im sayin is that i think he must be doing something right and for hs seems to have reached a high level the whole say thing just struck me as kinda backing off your original comment because someone said he wasnt. glad to see you clarify

I agree with you but many don't think HS is a high level of coaching and it does depend. We all know a few great ones and a few well not sure if they should coach ever at any level. Trust me I have been told am a second tier coach- lol whatever. My kids are successful and I help them get to where they want to be CUP, OE, HS, or even college to play. I guess the whole higher lower thing is mainly on where the other person is standing and if they just have an agenda to try to demean someone else. So to the person that called me second tier their more that see me a high level coach but I consider myself just a coach that loves the game and working with the kids.

There is a difference..

How to win at the HS level vs. Developing at the club level.

Todd is a great coach who knows how to win and gets his players competing, and is a tactical genius. He surrounds himself with good trainers/coaches as well. The culture there is second to none. The difference with Todd is, he knows what it takes to win at the HS level. He knows what he needs to do to win, and at the end of the day, that is probably the most important thing at a Big D1 HS, is to simply win. You think Todd, cares if the style is impressive or not, or what others are thinking? No.. He is just going to win.

Coaching club vs Coaching HS is very different. There are alot of high level club coaches who come to HS and absolutely struggle. They try to play to pretty, playing out of the back, 30 passes on their own half before they go forward.. etc... See it almost every year. A team loses 3-0 but out possessed the other team 70 to 30.

There is a difference..

How to win at the HS level vs. Developing at the club level.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Not all club does this, nor is successful at it.

Additionally, development happens at all levels, even HS. It's not exclusive to club. Most club coaches do not have the luxury of getting a kid for 4 straight years. That's what HS gets, if a coach stays. If they don't focus on development, will they truly "win"? No.

I've been part of several club programs through the years where they speak "development," but do not follow up with anything that shows development as a focus. Nothing from DOCs. Nothing from Boards. No curriculum. Yet, there are many HS coaches who have a quality program built that they can show you every aspect of how they built their program -- or, how they will build and are building their program (in a more present-tense).

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Not all club does this, nor is successful at it.

Additionally, development happens at all levels, even HS. It's not exclusive to club. Most club coaches do not have the luxury of getting a kid for 4 straight years. That's what HS gets, if a coach stays. If they don't focus on development, will they truly "win"? No.

I've been part of several club programs through the years where they speak "development," but do not follow up with anything that shows development as a focus. Nothing from DOCs. Nothing from Boards. No curriculum. Yet, there are many HS coaches who have a quality program built that they can show you every aspect of how they built their program -- or, how they will build and are building their program (in a more present-tense).

Not saying development doesn't happen at the HS level, it does, but theres a little more emphasis on winning.

I agree clubs don't always develop properly. Agree with your last paragraph.

Not saying development doesn't happen at the HS level, it does, but theres a little more emphasis on winning.

I agree clubs don't always develop properly. Agree with your last paragraph.

I should have clarified too. It seemed like your statement I quoted was an over-generalization and over-simplification. I'm sure you didn't mean for it to come across that way.

I've seen plenty of club that emphasizes winning WAY more than development. Part of the reason why there's so much talk at young ages about stacking teams, medals/trophies, etc.

And, I think we can all agree that winning and development doesn't truly exist separately.

Jeez O Pete- I just come on the soccer thread to nose around despite having no girl soccer player. All I can say is ya’ll are nuts- just a big ole pissin’ contest on which parents are doing it better. Glad me daughter steered away from the sport if you all even come close to representing the typical parents.

Jeez O Pete- I just come on the soccer thread to nose around despite having no girl soccer player. All I can say is ya’ll are nuts- just a big ole pissin’ contest on which parents are doing it better. Glad me daughter steered away from the sport if you all even come close to representing the typical parents.

Apparently you'll fit right in.

On another note, congrats to TFA for winning their division in two age groups of National League.