WCPO Spotlight on DA Impact on HS sports

if high school soccer is so anti club and folks think da is ruining hs soccer then why are they using hs fields. what would their options be without the support from hs facilities

if high school soccer is so anti club and folks think da is ruining hs soccer then why are they using hs fields. what would their options be without the support from hs facilities
A high school's field has nothing to do with the soccer program. That's the school district's perogative, and they will rent their turf fields out to just about anyone under the sun that's gonna fork up the cash, regardless of sport.

But to answer your question, VOA and Blue Ash are already getting plenty of use by both the boys and girls DA's in Cincy already. Town and Country is another great option. CSA Impact plays most of their games at Lost Nations, and Internationals use Pinnacle. Use of high school fields is such minor factor its not even worth talking about. More importantly, it has nothing to do with the debate over whether kids should play for the DA or their school.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

yeah philly you are probably right cup probably doesn't use hs fields much at all plenty of non hs turf to train on in winter i was just wondering thanks

yeah philly you are probably right cup probably doesn't use hs fields much at all plenty of non hs turf to train on in winter i was just wondering thanks
You're missing the point. Who cares if they train on their own fields, a private field, a college field, or a high school field. What does that have to do with the actual point of this thread, which is playing for high school vs playing for the DA?

philly not missing the point i just think its interesting that the hs ad complained about clubs pulling kids away from hs but still allow them to train on hs turf. its kinda like complaining about kids playin on your lawn and then installing a swing set for them to use. on the flip side clubs and some on here sayin you get very little from hs but oh by the way we need your field. i agree there are different routes for everyone my own kids got more college help from their hs coach than club coach but i get that might not be the case all the time. just to many paint it all one way or all the other. there are some great club coaches and some crappy ones, some great hs coaches and some crappy ones. i dont pretend to know them all either way to make broad opinions but doesnt seem to stop some. parents just hope kids find what works best for their kids in the end

philly not missing the point i just think its interesting that the hs ad complained about clubs pulling kids away from hs but still allow them to train on hs turf. its kinda like complaining about kids playin on your lawn and then installing a swing set for them to use. on the flip side clubs and some on here sayin you get very little from hs but oh by the way we need your field. i agree there are different routes for everyone my own kids got more college help from their hs coach than club coach but i get that might not be the case all the time. just to many paint it all one way or all the other. there are some great club coaches and some crappy ones, some great hs coaches and some crappy ones. i dont pretend to know them all either way to make broad opinions but doesnt seem to stop some. parents just hope kids find what works best for their kids in the end
Is the AD in charge or who plays on the schools fields and when? Serious question. Either way, I don't think any clubs play on Lakota West's turf field or their grass soccer field.

I also think you'll be hard pressed to find any high school environment that matches the DA environment, for all the reasons I've already stated. So for the player it really comes down to do you want to play with your classmates and represent your school, or would it better for your soccer development to have spent that time in the DA.

Last edited:
at local school its the ad call assume same at all schools but not sure. my niece practices and plays club at the other lakota so i know its done. so whats the thinkin when these girls leave da and go back to hs i know its happened more than a few times. and again not suggesting its wide spread

at local school its the ad call assume same at all schools but not sure. my niece practices and plays club at the other lakota so i know its done. so whats the thinkin when these girls leave da and go back to hs i know its happened more than a few times. and again not suggesting its wide spread

Cost, not the right fit, too much travel, too intense, didn't make the team, just want to play for their school. There's any number of reasons why someone would go back to playing with their school. I know for our family personally we are reaching our breaking point due to cost and travel. That's why I'm can't wait until FCC gets their youth program up and running.

Cost, not the right fit, too much travel, too intense, didn't make the team, just want to play for their school. There's any number of reasons why someone would go back to playing with their school. I know for our family personally we are reaching our breaking point due to cost and travel. That's why I'm can't wait until FCC gets their youth program up and running.

Got an offer. Verbally committed.

Anyone else think it was ironic that the interview was with the DA Director while training at West, then the AD of west interviews talking about the DA and how much they despise it..

Ironic..

What happens if all the Hs facilities ban the use of their fields to programs like the DA that are competitors to their programs.

I just thought it was funny and ironic, that’s all.
The DA interview was at Deer Park

At the end of the day, whereas HS really can't compete with DA for development and exposure, it's still a really big draw for the 99% of high level club girls who aren't looking at the national team.

I'm betting the DA is going to have to change it's format in the next few years to stay competitive. There's only like 3 or 4 games during HS season.

I don't particularly like the videos for this article because they don't do a very good job for the average person of really explaining what's going on. The reporter doesn't differentiate between high school vs club for the same sport, high school vs club in different sports (and vice versa), and there's never really a good explanation of the difference between DA and other club soccer. All of these things, which are different conversations to be had, are all mushed together in one hodge podge of "play for your school or play for your club," and it's way more nuanced than that.

that da guy pretty clearly says that there are options for those who want to play hs, i thought it was clear if you want to do da no hs. but there are other options to do both club and hs. while it might be more "nuanced" (mighty big word, had to look that one up), the da discussion is pretty simple, play for da, no hs. the story was about da so that makes sense.

that da guy pretty clearly says that there are options for those who want to play hs, i thought it was clear if you want to do da no hs. but there are other options to do both club and hs. while it might be more "nuanced" (mighty big word, had to look that one up), the da discussion is pretty simple, play for da, no hs. the story was about da so that makes sense.
My point of them confusing the discussion is because they brought in basketball and also volleyball, a completely different discussion of other club sports interfering with different sports. They also began talking about some sports not wanting their players playing other sports, an entirely different discussion. And then finally making it seem like this entire argument is about whether kids should play club sports or for their school. It was all over the place.

I had a great conversation with a patient last afternoon who's daughter declined DA and went to OE. He was on the fence with the DA and so was his kid. Their decision came down to playing with and against friends, in front of classmates, neighbors, friends and family in an environment that will not be duplicated most likely anywhere she plays in the future AND playing club soccer against many top players and against clubs that push her in an environment that is built around her desire to play in college.

Versus giving all that up and only playing games against an awful Minnesota team, an as bad or worse Cleveland team, and lower level teams from Michigan and Illinois. Seeing and playing the same outmatched teams over and over again. From club's that don't want to bring in the true top talent, they want to keep their own kids just to say they play in a league that has, on no merit decided it's a top league but with the initial declined offers to join and shortly there after exodus of so many of the truly top clubs is nothing more than a re-branded National league/MRL merger based on Club selection that added so few new kids and in many cases lost their top talent to local ECNL clubs to be anything but a re branded upper/mid level soccer league.

Nice to have a rational lucid conversation with a soccer parent.

I had a great conversation with a patient last afternoon who's daughter declined DA and went to OE. He was on the fence with the DA and so was his kid. Their decision came down to playing with and against friends, in front of classmates, neighbors, friends and family in an environment that will not be duplicated most likely anywhere she plays in the future AND playing club soccer against many top players and against clubs that push her in an environment that is built around her desire to play in college.

Versus giving all that up and only playing games against an awful Minnesota team, an as bad or worse Cleveland team, and lower level teams from Michigan and Illinois. Seeing and playing the same outmatched teams over and over again. From club's that don't want to bring in the true top talent, they want to keep their own kids just to say they play in a league that has, on no merit decided it's a top league but with the initial declined offers to join and shortly there after exodus of so many of the truly top clubs is nothing more than a re-branded National league/MRL merger based on Club selection that added so few new kids and in many cases lost their top talent to local ECNL clubs to be anything but a re branded upper/mid level soccer league.

Did someone kick your dog?

I think you raise very valid points that making the DA / ECNL decision entails for girls in this local market.

I think the one piece that is missing is that the talent level within CDA is EXTREMELY high, so the lion's share of the time, the girls are competing against some of the top talent (arguably) in the mid-west. They are getting better in spite of the stupid Minnesota / Cleveland competition thing you accurately describe.

In the end, the kids have to decide if what they get during the 4 days of training per week is worth the trade.

[emoji1317]

OH so the ECNL clubs are all so much stronger you think???? I see the ECNL just let in Eastside FC who are these guys? I guess they don't go after the best or maybe the best did not apply to the ECNL?. Also whats up with FC Alliance and the Riverhounds they seem to be struggling a bit. Every league has a top , bottom and middle and that's ok but why ignore the fact that the ECNL has a few clubs that also need to pick it up a bit.

OH so the ECNL clubs are all so much stronger you think???? I see the ECNL just let in Eastside FC who are these guys? I guess they don't go after the best or maybe the best did not apply to the ECNL?. Also whats up with FC Alliance and the Riverhounds they seem to be struggling a bit. Every league has a top , bottom and middle and that's ok but why ignore the fact that the ECNL has a few clubs that also need to pick it up a bit.

Eastside FC was the club that joined with reign academy so they could get DA status. Like Louden did with FC Virginia. But recognized that the DA is not an appropriate vessel. Much like Louden, and others.

Have you watched a tuck or CSA impact game? If you did you would understand. You should not lose U15-17 games by 8-16 goals. That’s the reality of the situation.

I think you raise very valid points that making the DA / ECNL decision entails for girls in this local market.

I think the one piece that is missing is that the talent level within CDA is EXTREMELY high .

Extremely High? I watched U19 CDA and FC Pride Red play to 0-0. They were very good but extremely high talent that was not. And I’ve watched plenty of games to know the difference. There were several plays missed by CDA that a really top flight team would have finished. And there’s nothing wrong with being very good, but extremely high is reserved for a top flight team. Let’s not get carried away here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extremely High? I watched U19 CDA and FC Pride Red play to 0-0. They were very good but extremely high talent that was not. And I’ve watched plenty of games to know the difference. There were several plays missed by CDA that a really top flight team would have finished. And there’s nothing wrong with being very good, but extremely high is reserved for a top flight team. Let’s not get carried away here.

You're wrong check and make sure you know what team you are talking about. FC Pride played against the second not the DA team. Do any of you DA / KHA / CUP haters know how to check facts? Because your false statements hurt your creditability and makes you look stupid. I would think if you have watched so many high level games you would know this.

You're wrong check and make sure you know what team you are talking about. FC Pride played against the second not the DA team. Do any of you DA / KHA / CUP haters know how to check facts? Because your false statements hurt your creditability and makes you look stupid. I would think if you have watched so many high level games you would know this.

Sat Feb 23rd CDA vs FCPride Red. Look , I watched the game dip .

Eastside FC was the club that joined with reign academy so they could get DA status. Like Louden did with FC Virginia. But recognized that the DA is not an appropriate vessel. Much like Louden, and others.

Have you watched a tuck or CSA impact game? If you did you would understand. You should not lose U15-17 games by 8-16 goals. That’s the reality of the situation.

EMPTYHEAD- You lost all credibility with your bull crap claim of no CUP teams being seeded in State Cup which was proven as a lie. We all know you despise Cincinnati United, the DA and a certain coach we get it but wow. Your obsession with them and you believing people wont checks facts make my think you need to be a patient and lay down on the couch and talk to someone about your unhealthy obession you have with saying anything including lies to try to make your point. I suggest you atleast make a pledge to avoid posting for one season while you get help. My thoughts and prayers for you as you work through your current mental state..

What facts do I have wrong in your quote?

None, deflection won’t change the reality.

The local DA region is junk and EVERYONE but you knows it. It was at least OK till all the good teams left minus CDA (Hawks, Eclipse, Fire) I do believe the older ages U15 and up CDA pre da teams are good. tucky was really, really bad before and they still are. CSA is awful. Nationals lost kids to Hawks. Eclipse is the best in Chicago by a landslide. The other 2 are not the next best that would be the Old CDA director, you know the poor guy that got run out by a parent with hurt feelings, old Club Team Chicago. Soccers is the Warren Co. of Chicago. slightly above average at best.

You think the DA didn’t go after better clubs? They. Don’t. Want. It.

Nobody the local DA team plays in region compares to what OE plays in conf like Pride, Internationals, OP, TSC or Flash. Or heck add Fire that like has been said multiple times is doing poorly in the ECNL right now but was a top 3 in the DA region last year. They will pull it together.

You’re such a homer Coach G, try and be a bit more objective.

Sat Feb 23rd CDA vs FCPride Red. Look , I watched the game dip .

Coach Jperona I think you are referring to the U18’s CDA Premier team (‘01) who tied both OP ECNL and FC Pride ECNL in the OE college showcase not the U19’s who did not participate in that event. Just a small correction. You all can return to ECNL, OE, DA, CDA bashing now. LOL!