WCAL 2022-23

This year's Garaway team and Norwayne, would have been a great matchup to have seen, the only WCAL team Garaway plays is Waynedale at Waynedale on January 3

i have a question for yall. lets say the WCAL and the IVC did 1seed vs 1 , 2seedvs2 showdown at the end of every year. So the top IVC school and the top WCAL school would play each other at the end of every year and all the other schools would be matched with the other conferences school that was the same seed as them. What conference would win more most years not specifically this year.
That would be very interesting to do that at the end of every season. Dalton and Hiland played at the end of the season the last two years so I guess you could say it happened for the top teams in the league in those years. I would say the top of the league match ups would vary based on the year. The WCAL would have won most of the match ups at the top the past few years, but I think the IVC would be favored most years. For instance, two years ago Waynedale got third place in the WCAL and either beat Hiland or lost a really close game at Hiland and Hiland was the best team in the IVC that year. I like Norwayne against the second place IVC team the last few years. I like Smithville by 10+ points against the third place team last year. These last few years have been really strong in the WCAL. I see this senior class as the last wave of that level of talent in the league. Take a kid like Isaiah Portis from Norwayne. He was a really good player who never was really considered for major awards until his senior year because of the talent in the WCAL at that time. The WCAL might go several years before another player as good as him goes through the league after this year. A kid like that would win multiple WCAL MVP awards in other eras of WCAL basketball. Kids like Justin Rupp, Ethan Hann, Carter Piatt, Braylon Wenger, Kyrie Gaut, and Caleb Gasser are graduating this year. I do not see that level of player in line to replace them in most cases. The matchups at the bottom of the two leagues are harder to predict. I honestly think that the bottom tier WCAL teams are a tad better than their IVC counterparts most years. This year's Rittman team is an exception to that line of thinking.

The current sophomore class at Norwayne, I believe, has not lost a game from 7th grade, 8th grade, 9th grade, and now to date as JV’s. And this is with two of those sophomores playing varsity this year, not JV. This sophomore class has quite a record to date. The Norwayne JV’s even beat a division 1 Medina team earlier this month.

That would be very interesting to do that at the end of every season. Dalton and Hiland played at the end of the season the last two years so I guess you could say it happened for the top teams in the league in those years. I would say the top of the league match ups would vary based on the year. The WCAL would have won most of the match ups at the top the past few years, but I think the IVC would be favored most years. For instance, two years ago Waynedale got third place in the WCAL and either beat Hiland or lost a really close game at Hiland and Hiland was the best team in the IVC that year. I like Norwayne against the second place IVC team the last few years. I like Smithville by 10+ points against the third place team last year. These last few years have been really strong in the WCAL. I see this senior class as the last wave of that level of talent in the league. Take a kid like Isaiah Portis from Norwayne. He was a really good player who never was really considered for major awards until his senior year because of the talent in the WCAL at that time. The WCAL might go several years before another player as good as him goes through the league after this year. A kid like that would win multiple WCAL MVP awards in other eras of WCAL basketball. Kids like Justin Rupp, Ethan Hann, Carter Piatt, Braylon Wenger, Kyrie Gaut, and Caleb Gasser are graduating this year. I do not see that level of player in line to replace them in most cases. The matchups at the bottom of the two leagues are harder to predict. I honestly think that the bottom tier WCAL teams are a tad better than their IVC counterparts most years. This year's Rittman team is an exception to that line of thinking.
I will say, Hiland the last two years and this year has not been nearly as talented as they were before. They definetly overachieved. With the IVC having 14 teams to the WCAL 8 teams i think the IVC would be favored because if you match them up 1-8 the IVC would not have their bottom tier teams playing. I wish Garaway, Hiland, Malvern, and Indian Valley would all play more WCAL teams. There would be some really fun matchups.

Hello friends! I’m from Lake Catholic and I’m excited to make the road trip to Hiland next Wednesday and take on Smithville. Sounds like they have a very solid team so hoping for a great game!

I have a question, I couldn’t find any information about this tournament or even see a schedule for that matter. What time is the Lake - Smithville game? Also, how many games are on Wednesday and what time do they start?

Sorry to post in your league thread.

Hello friends! I’m from Lake Catholic and I’m excited to make the road trip to Hiland next Wednesday and take on Smithville. Sounds like they have a very solid team so hoping for a great game!

I have a question, I couldn’t find any information about this tournament or even see a schedule for that matter. What time is the Lake - Smithville game? Also, how many games are on Wednesday and what time do they start?

Sorry to post in your league thread.
Arbiter has the start time of the Smithville - Lake Catholic game listed as 6pm on Wed. with Hiland and Pickerington North to follow at 7:45pm.

Wed:

Thurs:

Smithville lost a close one to Lake Catholic. Smithies had many chances to take the lead in the second half but could not get shots to fall when they needed to.

Smithville lost a close one to Lake Catholic. Smithies had many chances to take the lead in the second half but could not get shots to fall when they needed to.
Was a great game. Smithville couldn‘t miss in the first quarter. Give LC credit as their defense was fantastic last night, especially in the second half.

Was definitely worth the drive, and enjoyed the ride very much. I wish Lake would have stayed the night and played again today. I saw a Comfort Inn in the town of Berlin.

E6384051-D6D4-4592-9193-9E7DE55B530E.jpeg
Braylon Wenger went for 36 👀👀 great to see him on the court again.

View attachment 37663Braylon Wenger went for 36 👀👀 great to see him on the court again.
This certainly makes things more interesting for the league going forward. Could be a wild and entertaining ride till the end of the season. The last night of the season has Norwayne at Dalton and Smithville at Chippewa. I am guessing that plenty will be at stake on that night. Dalton gets All Ohioan Kyrie Gaut back soon as well.

you do know Malvern is in the IVC and pretty sure 3-0 against Smithville the last 3 years

you do know Malvern is in the IVC and pretty sure 3-0 against Smithville the last 3 years
Pretty sure Smithville finished 5th or 6th in the WCAL 3 years ago, 4th 2 years ago and 3rd last year. They are tied for first so far this year. Beating them the last 3 years is not that big of a deal. Time will tell how good of a win this year’s Smithville game is for Malvern.

Dalton played extremely well last night rolling Chippewa. The chipps are a long athletic team. Wenger is starting to settle back in, made some incredible shots, and gave the ball up for some nice assists, really impressive. Steiner looked very smooth last night as well, and I what a job harassing Gasser with some great D. Made him work for everything

Dalton played extremely well last night rolling Chippewa. The chipps are a long athletic team. Wenger is starting to settle back in, made some incredible shots, and gave the ball up for some nice assists, really impressive. Steiner looked very smooth last night as well, and I what a job harassing Gasser with some great D. Made him work for everything
That was an extremely impressive showing for Dalton. I was not expecting a 20 point margin for most of the second half. Chippewa played suffocating defense to begin that game. Dalton only had one basket in the first four minutes of the game. The incredible shooting from Dalton wore them down as the game moved along. Chippewa could be a really tough team to beat if/when they put it all together.

Huge week coming up for the league.

Tuesday-Smithville at Norwayne
Friday-Chippewa at Smithville and Dalton at Norwayne
Tuesday-Smithville at Dalton

Will the title picture become clearer in the next 8 days, or will we have more clutter at the top?

Does Dalton have all their players back, now? I wasn't sure if Steiner was that "other" player who was hurt, in addition to Wenger.

That was an extremely impressive showing for Dalton. I was not expecting a 20 point margin for most of the second half. Chippewa played suffocating defense to begin that game. Dalton only had one basket in the first four minutes of the game. The incredible shooting from Dalton wore them down as the game moved along. Chippewa could be a really tough team to beat if/when they put it all together.

Huge week coming up for the league.

Tuesday-Smithville at Norwayne
Friday-Chippewa at Smithville and Dalton at Norwayne
Tuesday-Smithville at Dalton

Will the title picture become clearer in the next 8 days, or will we have more clutter at the top?
I smell an 0-3 stretch for Smithville here.....I could absolutely be wrong, they would likely be favored against Chippewa in a home game....but I could easily see them dropping all 3 games. Tough tough stretch!

Does Dalton have all their players back, now? I wasn't sure if Steiner was that "other" player who was hurt, in addition to Wenger.
Jack Steiner has been playing the entire year. Kyrie Gaut was their other returning All Ohioan who was suspended for the first 11 games. My understanding is that he will not be back with the team for the remainder of the season. It is a big blow to the Bulldogs overall talent level, but at least they should have clarity on who they available going forward.
I smell an 0-3 stretch for Smithville here.....I could absolutely be wrong, they would likely be favored against Chippewa in a home game....but I could easily see them dropping all 3 games. Tough tough stretch!
That would be brutal for Smithville if they lost all three!

Norwayne smoked Smithville by 30. Was anyone at the game to see what happened?
Wow! Nobody was expecting a beat down like that. That is an impressive win for Norwayne. They will have a stranglehold on the league if they beat Dalton on Friday. Things get interesting if Dalton wins.

Wow! Nobody was expecting a beat down like that. That is an impressive win for Norwayne. They will have a stranglehold on the league if they beat Dalton on Friday. Things get interesting if Dalton wins.
..........admittedly I did not think it would be 30, but I did think it would be more than 10. Best win they have on the season was against a Dalton team missing its best 2 players. 2 point prayer win over a mediocre Triway. 2 point win over 1-8 Northwestern. This is not last years Smithville team - they're just OK. They MUST win against Chippewa on Friday to keep the train on the tracks!