WCAL 2022-23

Norwayne's league to lose right?
I would say Norwayne and Smithville are the favorites. They have split their games the last few years. I would expect the same thing this year. The champion will likely be determined by how much they dominate the rest of the league. Waynedale, Northwestern, Chippewa, and Dalton will be good enough to beat anyone in the league on any given night. Dalton will get a noticeable boost when Kyrie Gaut comes back mid season. He was All Ohio last year and is one of the best players in the league. Hillsdale and Rittman are also good enough to get some league wins this year, but I expect them to have the worst records in league play. The league should be more entertaining and equal than it has been the last few years. Should be plenty of close, exciting games.
With wenger out who is the top player in the league ? Would it be the rupp boy from Norwayne ?
I would think that Justin Rupp from Norwayne and Carter Piatt from Smithville would be the favorites for player of the year with Braylon Wenger out. It looked like Rupp was playing the 5 spot for Norwayne in their first game. This shows how versatile of a player he actually is. He was Norwayne's point guard two years ago, and he is now playing in the post. Not too many high school players who could pull that off.

I would say Norwayne and Smithville are the favorites. They have split their games the last few years. I would expect the same thing this year. The champion will likely be determined by how much they dominate the rest of the league. Waynedale, Northwestern, Chippewa, and Dalton will be good enough to beat anyone in the league on any given night. Dalton will get a noticeable boost when Kyrie Gaut comes back mid season. He was All Ohio last year and is one of the best players in the league. Hillsdale and Rittman are also good enough to get some league wins this year, but I expect them to have the worst records in league play. The league should be more entertaining and equal than it has been the last few years. Should be plenty of close, exciting games.

I would think that Justin Rupp from Norwayne and Carter Piatt from Smithville would be the favorites for player of the year with Braylon Wenger out. It looked like Rupp was playing the 5 spot for Norwayne in their first game. This shows how versatile of a player he actually is. He was Norwayne's point guard two years ago, and he is now playing in the post. Not too many high school players who could pull that off.
I would agree with this - Dalton was probably the SLIGHT favorite with Wenger/Gaut, Smithville Norwayne are the picks now. Taking the two Dalton guys out of the conversation, I would say Rupp, Piatt, Alberts, Gasser from Chippewa as top 4. After not seeing Jack Steiner from Dalton play since his sophomore year, I was very impressed with him last night - not really elite at anything, but good at everything

I agree ! Does chipp still have that gasser kid? I think rupp was phenomenal lash year but sometimes got over shadowed last year by Portis I think he’s one of the best overall players I’ve seen in this league .

I would agree with this - Dalton was probably the SLIGHT favorite with Wenger/Gaut, Smithville Norwayne are the picks now. Taking the two Dalton guys out of the conversation, I would say Rupp, Piatt, Alberts, Gasser from Chippewa as top 4. After not seeing Jack Steiner from Dalton play since his sophomore year, I was very impressed with him last night - not really elite at anything, but good at everything
Great assessment on Jack Steiner. Dalton will have to be very creative to get him looks at the basket as the defense will be keying on him most nights.
I agree ! Does chipp still have that gasser kid? I think rupp was phenomenal lash year but sometimes got over shadowed last year by Portis I think he’s one of the best overall players I’ve seen in this league .
Caleb Gasser is still at Chippewa and could have a monster year and challenge for league MVP. Chippewa is my sleeper team. They will give Norwayne and Smithville all they can handle. I am just hesitant to lump them in with the favorites of the league because of how up and down they are. The next Chippewa team to play consistently will be the first one I have ever seen.

Great assessment on Jack Steiner. Dalton will have to be very creative to get him looks at the basket as the defense will be keying on him most nights.

Caleb Gasser is still at Chippewa and could have a monster year and challenge for league MVP. Chippewa is my sleeper team. They will give Norwayne and Smithville all they can handle. I am just hesitant to lump them in with the favorites of the league because of how up and down they are. The next Chippewa team to play consistently will be the first one I have ever seen.
Great post - this is all so spot on. Chippewa does look improved this year for sure and this kid can flat out play. However, Chippewa is always the enigma to me......I don't see huge talent disparity on a year to year basis versus the rest of the league and yet, they always get beat up by the best teams in the league. Can they finally show some consistency and get over the hump? Looking at the schedule - they have the talent to be UNDEFEATED when they take on Norwayne at home on 12/16. Time will tell though....

Watched Dalton Smithville Friday night have to admit Smithville looked real good even when Piatt didn't have a huge night. They got great play out of their supporting cast Butzer & Riggenbach. I'd say they are league favorites due to overall experience. Norwayne isn't gonna be a push over. I also think Norwayne gonna be problem for league foes for long time.

Dalton supporting cast hasn't figured it out yet & just aren't very good (yet). Jack Steiner doing all he can plus some. Brady Hignight gonna be a star for Dalton in basketball unfortunately I don't see it being this year. It'll probably be next year. One positive I did see outta a Dalton is they do seem scrappy & play hard.

Watched Dalton Smithville Friday night have to admit Smithville looked real good even when Piatt didn't have a huge night. They got great play out of their supporting cast Butzer & Riggenbach. I'd say they are league favorites due to overall experience. Norwayne isn't gonna be a push over. I also think Norwayne gonna be problem for league foes for long time.

Dalton supporting cast hasn't figured it out yet & just aren't very good (yet). Jack Steiner doing all he can plus some. Brady Hignight gonna be a star for Dalton in basketball unfortunately I don't see it being this year. It'll probably be next year. One positive I did see outta a Dalton is they do seem scrappy & play hard.
Smithville is going to make it tough on all of the league teams with the way they defend. Them and Norwayne will be a contrast in style as much as anything. Smithville prefers to play in the half court, while Norwayne wants to press, run, and score. If Smithville can keep the game in the low to mid 50s, you have to like their chances. I still think other league teams will knock each of them off a game or two.

Dalton does look to be very well coached and scrappy. They were down 2 in the 4th quarter with about 5 minutes left before the game got away from them. Dalton is scoring just above 40 points per game so far. You have to play almost perfect in other areas to win with that level of offensive production. As they have for the last few years, Dalton has a monster non league schedule ahead of them as well. They have a stretch coming up where they play Hoban, Rittman, and Lake in a four day span. That stretch was going to be incredibly challenging when they were at full strength. Now it is going to be an almost insurmountable challenge. It does look like they cancelled their game against Lutheran East. A win at Waynedale this Friday would go a long ways towards giving these kids some confidence. I expect another hard fought game. I don't think Dalton has lost a league game to anyone other than Norwayne for almost the last three years. Teams like Smithville, Waynedale, Northwestern, etc will be chomping at the bit to knock them off. Dalton should get a huge boost when Kyrie Gaut comes back midseason. The experience the other players are gaining right now should pay off later in the season when they get their top players back.

9ACE6F04-A0E6-4BB3-A89D-4E717DF2B1CA.png

December 9th

Northwestern @ Norwayne
Chippewa @ Hillsdale
Dalton @ Waynedale
Smithville @ Rittman
The Dalton vs Waynedale matchup is very intriguing. It will be interesting to see who wins that one tonight. I would think they match up well. Dalton should have a post advantage. Waynedale probably has an advantage on the wings. Northwestern is missing their 2nd best player tonight so I would expect Norwayne to roll although you never know.

The Dalton vs Waynedale matchup is very intriguing. It will be interesting to see who wins that one tonight. I would think they match up well. Dalton should have a post advantage. Waynedale probably has an advantage on the wings. Northwestern is missing their 2nd best player tonight so I would expect Norwayne to roll although you never know.
Dalton and Waynedale were tied at 43 heading into the 4th quarter. Dalton outscored Waynedale 18 - 8 in the final quarter to put the game away. Jack Steiner led the way for Dalton with 15 points. Trey Barkman led Waynedale with 16.

Northwestern hung tough with Norwayne for three quarters. They only trailed by 4 points heading into the 4th, but were outscored 25-11 in the final period. I don't know any stats yet from this game.

Smithville's defense held Rittman to 21 points for the game in a 40 point victory over Rittman. Carter Piatt had 24 points and cousin Reese Riggenbach had 16 for Smithville. Outstanding big man Noah Wyle had 8 for Rittman.

Chippewa faced a good test from Hillsdale on the road and won by 76-60. Caleb Gasser led Chippewa with 29 points. Nick Kandel led Hillsdale but I don't know an official points total.

Dalton and Waynedale were tied at 43 heading into the 4th quarter. Dalton outscored Waynedale 18 - 8 in the final quarter to put the game away. Jack Steiner led the way for Dalton with 15 points. Trey Barkman led Waynedale with 16.

Northwestern hung tough with Norwayne for three quarters. They only trailed by 4 points heading into the 4th, but were outscored 25-11 in the final period. I don't know any stats yet from this game.

Smithville's defense held Rittman to 21 points for the game in a 40 point victory over Rittman. Carter Piatt had 24 points and cousin Reese Riggenbach had 16 for Smithville. Outstanding big man Noah Wyle had 8 for Rittman.

Chippewa faced a good test from Hillsdale on the road and won by 76-60. Caleb Gasser led Chippewa with 29 points. Nick Kandel led Hillsdale but I don't know an official points total.
Northwestern ran themselves out of gas in the 4th quarter - I believe there were 5 straight possessions that resulted in turnover-fastbreak layups for Norwayne in the 4th.

Northwestern ran themselves out of gas in the 4th quarter - I believe there were 5 straight possessions that resulted in turnover-fastbreak layups for Norwayne in the 4th.
Good to know what happened. I know Northwestern plays hard and has some good players but Norwayne has more depth that can wear you out.

We’ll find out a lot about Chippewa this week when they face Norwayne at home. The Chipps play Manchester tomorrow for a chance to be 7-0 leading up the Norwayne game. Although their schedule hasn’t included the likes of Medina like Norwayne, you can only play who is on your schedule and so far they have won the games they should. It will be a very good early season test on Friday night.

Good to know what happened. I know Northwestern plays hard and has some good players but Norwayne has more depth that can wear you out.

We’ll find out a lot about Chippewa this week when they face Norwayne at home. The Chipps play Manchester tomorrow for a chance to be 7-0 leading up the Norwayne game. Although their schedule hasn’t included the likes of Medina like Norwayne, you can only play who is on your schedule and so far they have won the games they should. It will be a very good early season test on Friday night.
Huge early season game in Chippewa on Friday. Outside of Medina, Norwayne has had a very favorable schedule thus far as well. This will be their first real test outside of their home gym. Chippewa has not faced a team like Norwayne yet. It will be interesting to see how both teams react.

Smithville 2022-2023 WCAL champs
They are one of the favorites for sure. Beating a below average Triway team at the buzzer does not exactly give me confidence that Smithville is playing at a high level right now. Triway just lost by double digits to a St Thomas Aquinas team who has been losing to pretty much everyone they play. Getting Kaufman back in a few games should give Smithville a spark.
Any score on the Dalton vs Hoban game, that was to be played Wednesday December 14
Hoban beat Dalton 57-50. Dalton hung in there really well against a true D1 contender (elite 8 last year and have everybody back except for one role player). Coach Greenfelder has Dalton playing really well despite being down their two best players. Dalton could be extremely tough if/when they get those guys back. The team seems to be rallying around their role as an underdog since they are shorthanded. Dalton is a veteran group who rarely has fewer than three seniors on the court at a time. They have great physical strength as a team. All of those traits should be even bigger strengths when Kyrie Gaut and Braylon Wenger return. The big difference when those guys come back is that they will be favored in pretty much every game. Not many people expect them to win right now. It is easier when you are playing with small expectations surrounding you.

Big game on Friday. Smithville at Norwayne. I predict Smithville will win in a close game. What are some other predictions?

Norwayne was down to Chippawa 42-23 midway through the 3rd quarter. Ended up winning 61-50 in overtime.
That was a fantastic small school high school basketball game. Chippewa had everything going their way before the 60 foot bomb from Norwayne went in to end the 3rd quarter. That gave Norwayne the momentum going into the 4th. Chippewa just had a complete meltdown. Even with all of the momentum and Norwayne's surge, Chippewa missed free throws and breakaway layups that would have salted the game away. The top player on each team was held in check, if not completely outplayed. Tillman Brown dominated Norwayne's best player for much of that game, and Parker Metsker shut down Chippewa's top player while scoring in double digits himself. Ethan Hann was the steady offensive force throughout the game for Norwayne.
Big game on Friday. Smithville at Norwayne. I predict Smithville will win in a close game. What are some other predictions?
After two tough wins away from their home gym last weekend, I have Norwayne by a touchdown at home against Smithville. Which team can impose their will on the other? Norwayne wins going away if its a track meet, Smithville is favored if its a half court game. These high profile games often come down to individual matchups. Can Parker Metsker hold down Carter Piatt? Can Smithville slow down Justin Rupp? Mac Butzer and Ethan Hann should butt heads often in this game. I believe these teams have split their two games in each of the last three seasons. Should be a fun game.

Early on in the season I felt like Smithville was the team to beat because overall better supporting cast. Man Norwayne is getting a lot out of the West kid, Beau Pollen, Trey Ballis & obviously Parker Mesker. I think Norwayne is the team to beat the rest of the way. Norwayne supporting cast is far better than Riggenbach & Mac Butzer. I do think Smithville second best team in the league then Chippewa.

also want to give credit to Coach Greenfelder at Dalton. He is getting so much out of kids like Hignight Fiesler & McFarren. We always knew Jack Steiner was a very good player but to see Hignight shine like he has been is great. He even led the team in scoring against a great Lake team this weekend. Same can be said for McFarren, Fiesler & even Stutz; all are playing at a high level. Greenfelder is a great coach getting most out of young players (or players with limited varsity experience).

i have a question for yall. lets say the WCAL and the IVC did 1seed vs 1 , 2seedvs2 showdown at the end of every year. So the top IVC school and the top WCAL school would play each other at the end of every year and all the other schools would be matched with the other conferences school that was the same seed as them. What conference would win more most years not specifically this year.

i have a question for yall. lets say the WCAL and the IVC did 1seed vs 1 , 2seedvs2 showdown at the end of every year. So the top IVC school and the top WCAL school would play each other at the end of every year and all the other schools would be matched with the other conferences school that was the same seed as them. What conference would win more most years not specifically this year.
Honestly hard to say I think norwaynes 2 seed would beat the 2 seed from Ivc since Norwayne has won 3 district titles in a row without winning the WCAL but I’m Not sure hard to say