WCAL 2020

Dalton should beat the falcons by 28. After that it will be two weeks of stay healthy, and nothing much to see here. Cats have Rittman this week followed by Waynedale and Chippewa, Dogs finish with Northwestern and Rittman before week 6. I thought Hillsdale would be a little better, just not deep enough to play with the top two, the rest of the league is horrid this year.
Unfortunately, this looks more true each week.

Well Dalton gets the W over Hillsdale.

Cats, Smithies, Huskies gets wins also.

I would say this week Hillsdale at Smithville would be the game, to see who is the 3rd best team in county.

Dalton gets Northwestern this week, should be 35-0, Cats get Bears should be 45-0. Smithville - Hillsdale, I'm going with the Falcons by 10, and the I don't care game, Chippewa - Rittman, flip a coin.

If I understand correctly, it looks like the coaches vote for playoff seeding takes place before the week 6 match up between Dalton and Norwayne. Will coaches reward Dalton and Norwayne for being undefeated, or punish them for having a weaker schedule up to that point? The D7 thread seems to suggest Lucas and Warren JFK should be the favorites in Region 25. I am sure Dalton feels like they can compete with those teams. Who are the biggest obstacles in Norwayne's playoff region? Mogadore?

I would say for Norwayne besides Mogadore... Colonel Crawford is a solid team that spread you out on offense. And of course Coldwater (not sure if they are in there region?) is always good.

As for this week in the WCAL

Norwayne and Dalton win big!
Chippewa over Rittman
I will go Smithville over Hillsdale for battle for 3rd place.

If I understand correctly, it looks like the coaches vote for playoff seeding takes place before the week 6 match up between Dalton and Norwayne. Will coaches reward Dalton and Norwayne for being undefeated, or punish them for having a weaker schedule up to that point? The D7 thread seems to suggest Lucas and Warren JFK should be the favorites in Region 25. I am sure Dalton feels like they can compete with those teams. Who are the biggest obstacles in Norwayne's playoff region? Mogadore?
Don’t forget the regions are not set yet. There could be some realignment based on who is going to participate in the playoffs. Wayne Co is always a border area so could see folks get moved around to balance out the #.

Anyone going to games this Friday or at least watching them (live stream)? I am going to try to watch the Hillsdale/Smithville game, being that I think this will be the best game (at least on paper) to watch.

Patiently waiting for the Smithville coaches to realize this offense they’re running isn’t going to work with the talent level the Smithies have

Patiently waiting for the Smithville coaches to realize this offense they’re running isn’t going to work with the talent level the Smithies have
Serious question - If the last name does start with a K does Smithville have any talent?

Anyone have a link to Dalton-Northwestern stream? Really want to see this game. Heard Thut ran similar D to what Norwayne ran in State title game against Kenton.

I think the link is only up live. Dalton actually moved the ball up and down the field but never finished - I think the yardage was like 350-150 Dalton advantage. Also had a couple key fumbles. Give NW credit for coming in ready and coming up big when they needed too. Was a game the dawgs had no business losing. Self reflection time.

Dogs should get back to it this week against Rittman, Cats should have another week of running clock vs. Chippewa. Falcon should have no problem against Waynedale, game of the week looks to be Smithville - Northwestern, I'll take the Huskies by 10.

Great upset win by the Huskies over Dalton.
Norwayne rolled and Chippewa held off Rittman.
Falcons rolled the Smithies, Williams kid is a nice player. Smithville offense was way to predictable. They did have a backup QB playing, but still ugly.

How big was Dalton's loss to Northwestern? If the Huskies beat Smithville tonight they'll likely lock in a bye or at least 2-3 home playoff games just based on their record & rest of their region. Holy cow.

Luckily for Dalton the coaches vote prior to their game against Norwayne. With only 1 loss they'll likely still get homefield until they run into Lucas or JFK.

Dalton' s loss just proves the old adage in WCAL, if you don't take care of the ball, you can lose in any given week. Proof of that is Norwayne's loss to Smithville in their state championship year. Not taking care of the ball, and coach Schrock letting the grass grow to epic proportions with a wet week, I'm pretty sure the band practiced on that field all week. ?

With a Northwestern win tonight over Smithville, Huskies will be rolling at the right time.

Norwayne and Dalton should roll this week before they meet up next week.

With a Northwestern win tonight over Smithville, Huskies will be rolling at the right time.

Norwayne and Dalton should roll this week before they meet up next week.
Northwestern will a favorite for highest seeded bad team in the playoffs. They’ll be a lot of them but Huskies might take the crown.

Dalton' s loss just proves the old adage in WCAL, if you don't take care of the ball, you can lose in any given week. Proof of that is Norwayne's loss to Smithville in their state championship year. Not taking care of the ball, and coach Schrock letting the grass grow to epic proportions with a wet week, I'm pretty sure the band practiced on that field all week. ?

Will never forget this game! Coach Schrock's last year - a 3-way WCAL split with Norwayne, Hillsdale and Smithville.

Media and all of the experts on here and on other sites figured Norwayne would name their score - rightfully so....Norwayne had beaten opponents by a score of 52-7 on average and the starters never played a 4th quarter.

Smithville DB's bailed and played a deep cover 4 all game - daring Norwayne to throw the ball underneath, but they wouldn't do it. This film-session definitely ended up helping Norwayne in the playoff run, as they began to take what the D gave them - whether it be running the ball, quick screens and then an occasional shot down field.

There were a number of people in Smithville that would have loved to trash the field before that game - but Schrock wanted none of that. The field (inside of the hashes) was absolutely trashed though by game night.

Smithville's O-Line that year was arguably the best in school history. Zach Douglass - who for my money is the best O-Lineman in school history was an All-American at Ashland U. Paul Kelbly was an All-Ohioan and stand out at the College of Wooster. Alex Kurtz had a great career at Baldwin Wallace. Donny Musser played at Heidelberg.

Smithville's backs had the mix of all-state speed (Bates, Shane, Buss) and impressive power (Hilty and Steiner).

A few plays/sequences from that game standout to me to this day.

Right before halftime - Smithville seemed content on running the clock out. Bates busted a QB counter dove into the end zone to take the lead.

Norwayne threw a hook-and-lateral back to Wallace - he trucked a Smithville DB and almost took it all the way to the house to end the 1st half.

Norwayne had a WR wide-open for a bomb and he dropped a perfect ball for a TD that would have made a huge difference in the game.

4th and 3 from mid-field at the end of the 4Q with Smithville up - all of the Smithville players and fans immediately start screaming at the coaches to go for it. They run a simple dive with Hilty - he initially gets stuffed and spins off of it and falls forward for the game-clinching 1st down.

Norwayne has pretty much dominated the series since that night!

Hope that Dalton's full squad comes back for next week's game. Even then, will be a tall task. Even with WCAL down, Bobcats look REALLY impressive. They should be playing at home until at least Regional semis. Will be interesting to see where they get voted. NM Springfield likely #1.

Dalton might still get a bye & a few home games, but with Lucas, Leetonia & Southern things will get a lot tougher real fast. The Boogeyman in that Region is Warren JFK.

Hidden in all that is Northwestern who will likely get a decent seed in D5R18. Would be crazy to see them get a bye & host a 2nd round game. They're playing well, but curious how they'll hang with D5 playoff teams after the first weekend. Guessing the grass won't get cut on that field again until the season is over.

Hope that Dalton's full squad comes back for next week's game. Even then, will be a tall task. Even with WCAL down, Bobcats look REALLY impressive. They should be playing at home until at least Regional semis. Will be interesting to see where they get voted. NM Springfield likely #1.

Dalton might still get a bye & a few home games, but with Lucas, Leetonia & Southern things will get a lot tougher real fast. The Boogeyman in that Region is Warren JFK.

Hidden in all that is Northwestern who will likely get a decent seed in D5R18. Would be crazy to see them get a bye & host a 2nd round game. They're playing well, but curious how they'll hang with D5 playoff teams after the first weekend. Guessing the grass won't get cut on that field again until the season is over.
Normally it would be a sell out in Creston for this game, it will be strange to see a game with that much at stake played in front of a small crowd. Cats are pretty healthy at this point, other than their big D1 lineman being banged up. Depth is really helping them this year, they come at you in waves. The Dalton game will really show where they are at, they need to play a full game before the playoffs. I thought NW was not a good team, had some decent athletes but we're thin in numbers. Maybe they are better than they showed in the Norwayne game.

I thought NW was not a good team, had some decent athletes but were thin in numbers. Maybe they are better than they showed in the Norwayne game.
There's only 2 undefeated teams in that region so 4-1 record is going to get them a good draw. Having watched them on film, they're a good WCAL team but would be favorites for "most likely home team to lose an early game"

Well here we go Cats vs Dawgs hoping for a good game on Friday!

Question when Dalton played Northwestern was Dalton at full strength? Or were there kids suspended like when they played Rittman?

Well here we go Cats vs Dawgs hoping for a good game on Friday!

Question when Dalton played Northwestern was Dalton at full strength? Or were there kids suspended like when they played Rittman?
From what I understand, they were full strength for the Huskies.

From what I understand, they were full strength for the Huskies.
Agreed. From the Northwestern-Dalton game store in Wooster Daily Record:

"The Bulldogs were powered by Tate Geiser, who rumbled for 165 yards on 27 carries and had their score to set the pace and quarterback Jaiden Malone threw for 123 yards on 14-of-20 passing. His primary target was Dillon Horst with six catches for 66 yards. Dalton is now 3-1 as well. "

Agreed. From the Northwestern-Dalton game store in Wooster Daily Record:

"The Bulldogs were powered by Tate Geiser, who rumbled for 165 yards on 27 carries and had their score to set the pace and quarterback Jaiden Malone threw for 123 yards on 14-of-20 passing. His primary target was Dillon Horst with six catches for 66 yards. Dalton is now 3-1 as well. "

They were not at full strength for the game against Northwestern. The initial wave of discipline had already been handed out. The hammer dropped on the others as more details emerged over the weekend. Without question, Dalton has not had the chance to grow as they otherwise would have because they had to deal with these issues. We will see how much it costs them on Friday.

They were not at full strength for the game against Northwestern. The initial wave of discipline had already been handed out. The hammer dropped on the others as more details emerged over the weekend. Without question, Dalton has not had the chance to grow as they otherwise would have because they had to deal with these issues. We will see how much it costs them on Friday.
Gotcha. Thanks for clearing up.

Hopefully they can pull together during the bye. D7R25 is very top heavy. Dalton will get a bye, but there's a lot of 4-1 teams meaning they could have a tough game in the 2nd round.

How big is 1 game in this covid season? Northwestern's win over Dalton gives them a 4-1 record going into playoff seeding vote. That gets them the #6 seed where they get a bye and will play the winner of a game between teams with a combined record of 1-9. They lose to Dalton and at 3-2 they end up in the middle playing the #1, 2, or 3 seed in the 2nd round. Crazy!