Way Too Early Summit County Top 10 - 2019

brian

In the spirit of it never really being "too early" to begin prognostications, what are some thoughts on how the Summit County squads will stack-up coming into the 2019 campaign?

I've listed all Summit County teams below (not ranked for 2019), including their 2018 record as well as the region in which they participated last season.

Disclaimer: I did not separate Manchester, Mogadore and CVCA as "smaller" schools. Feel free to rank them as you see fit and debate their placement (as always).

In Order of 2018 Record (playoff qualifiers first):
*playoff team

Archbishop Hoban (15-0)* (D2/R5): Won D2 State Championship
Mogadore (11-2)* (D6/R21): Lost to Kirtland in State Playoffs
Barberton (10-1)* (D2/R7): Lost to Tri-Valley in State Playoffs
Manchester (9-4)* (D5/R17): Lost to Orrville in State Playoffs
East (9-3)* (D3/R9): Lost to Canfield in State Playoffs
Nordonia (9-2)* (D2/R5): Lost to Riverside in State Playoffs
CVCA (7-4)* (D4/R13): Lost to Perry in State Playoffs
Buchtel (6-5)* (D4/R13: Lost to Steubenville in State Playoffs
Norton (8-2) (D3/R9)
St. Vincent-St. Mary (7-3) (D3/R9)
Revere (6-4) (D3/R9)
Woodridge (6-4) (D4/R13)
Stow-Munroe Falls (5-5) (D1/R1)
Tallmadge (5-5) (D3/R9)
Twinsburg (5-5) (D2/R5)
Ellet (5-5) (D2/R5)
Copley (3-7) (D2/R5)
Coventry (3-7) (D3/R9)
Hudson (3-7) (D2/R5)
Firestone (3-7) (D2/R5)
Springfield (2-8) (D3/R9)
Green (1-9) (D2/R7)
Cuyahoga Falls (1-9) (D2/R5)
Kenmore-Garfield (1-9) (D2/R5)
Walsh Jesuit (0-10) (D2/R5)
North (0-10) (D3/R9)

Rank 'Em......

SVSM doing themselves no favors with scheduling again for next year, so it's hard to rank them IMO. Having Hoban and Massilon on the schedule again, along with East, Mooney, Harding, and Hoover does them no favors. A few cupcakes in Walsh, Glenoak and Ursuline, but I can see the same thing happening where they win 7 or more games, yet miss the playoffs again. R9 was a brutally competitive region last year. St V probably beats most teams on this list (outside of Hoban) or takes it to the wire, but if they cant get into the playoffs, then how high can they be ranked?

1 Hoban
2. East
3. Barberton
4. Stow
5. Buchtel
6. Nordonia
7. Hudson
8. STVSTM
9. Twinsburg
10. Revere

1. Hoban (5th Consecutuve State Title) 2. STVM return 4 year Starter in QB RB and a lethal front 7 on defense. Once again it comes down to OL. 3. Barberton 4. Buchtel 5. East 6. Nordonia 7. Hudson 8. Stow 9. Manchester 10. Moggy 11. Norton

Hoban has a lot of work to do on the oline before week 1. There will be a drop off there, it's unavoidable, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them tweak the offensive scheme a little bit. They are going to have a lot of talented options in the passing game.

1. Hoban (5th Consecutuve State Title) 2. STVM return 4 year Starter in QB RB and a lethal front 7 on defense. Once again it comes down to OL. 3. Barberton 4. Buchtel 5. East 6. Nordonia 7. Hudson 8. Stow 9. Manchester 10. Moggy 11. Norton

I wouldn't call Hoban's 5th title a done deal. I have Hoban down as my d2 tentative favorite, but, like redwing said, they will have o line work to do. And I think Massillon and Winton Woods will come back even stronger next season.

Hoban has a lot of work to do on the oline before week 1. There will be a drop off there, it's unavoidable, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them tweak the offensive scheme a little bit. They are going to have a lot of talented options in the passing game.

With Rumler graduating and moving on to MSU there would HAVE to be a drop off, no matter who is in the pipeline to replace him! Still, you're RB is a huge talent; probably better than Sibley. Not in the Sutton category yet, but in time, maybe!

With Rumler graduating and moving on to MSU there would HAVE to be a drop off, no matter who is in the pipeline to replace him! Still, you're RB is a huge talent; probably better than Sibley. Not in the Sutton category yet, but in time, maybe!

Rumler headed to Michigan (not State), but you are right: he will mighty tough to replace, as will Baxter, Robinson and Petit. This might be the greenest the OL has been in quite awhile with only one starter slated to return.

1. Hoban
2. Barberton
3. StVM
4. East
5. Buchtel
6. Nordonia
7. Stow
8. Hudson
9. Mogadore
10.Manchester

Rumler headed to Michigan (not State), but you are right: he will mighty tough to replace, as will Baxter, Robinson and Petit. This might be the greenest the OL has been in quite awhile with only one starter slated to return.

Thanks for the correction. I knew that! Just having a senior moment.

The Hoban O Line will be fine as their off season weight program develops their players and has them ready to play. The Frosh OL will be another talent and help replace what graduated. Add in a D1 6-4 245lb D1 commit at TE. The knights have a stable of 215lb RB’s That willt wear down their opponents. STVM will have size on their O Line (6-8 325 6-5 260 6-3 270 6-2 295) but can they commit themselves in the weight room and develop their game. The Irish front 7 on defense will be lethal however the secondary could be vulnerable. Massillon returns their QB and Ballard at WR. I am not convinced anyone in D2 can beat Hoban. Barberton will be very talenred at RB TE. Magic’s step it up in 19 adding Massillon and Stow to their schedule.

No one could replace Rumler, that's a once in generation type kid that shows up at your school, starts for 4 years and becomes the best o-lineman in school history. But if he was the only lineman graduating, they'd be just fine. It's the collective of 4 starters needing to be replaced, and those other 3 were very high level players, all of whom are playing college football. The kids stepping in will be very young and green, and while the strength program has proven to develop kids physically and mentally, this position group is going to be a big coaching challenge in 2019.

Redwing, it s the same thing that they have done before on replacing kids like Kepler, Kelly, Redle, Thomas, McNeil, Yankovich and many more. I agree on Rumler, you can't replace him but the others like Baxter/Robinson/Petit were once young and green too. High School O-lines are built in the weight room.

Redwing, it s the same thing that they have done before on replacing kids like Kepler, Kelly, Redle, Thomas, McNeil, Yankovich and many more. I agree on Rumler, you can't replace him but the others like Baxter/Robinson/Petit were once young and green too. High School O-lines are built in the weight room.
Yes, they have done it before, but this is the biggest transition yet. They haven't had to replace 4 starters during this run, and none of the kids that will be moving into those positions were good enough to play any meaningful snaps last year. When Petit missed the Wayne game last season, they had to have Easterling (FB/TE) move into that RT spot, where he had never played one single snap in his career, because they had no one up to that task. Those previous lines had depth and guys that were ready to step in and play, last year's did not. I'm not saying that they can't do it, just that it will be the biggest positional challenge of this run.

You don’t think the graduation of Danny Clark and Todd Sibley was bigger? Really?
As it turned out, did they have any trouble replacing those guys? Sibley was a great player, but there was no shortage of RB talent in the pipeline. Danny was a great leader, and could hit the big ball at times, but Hamm is a better HS QB than he ever was. The physicality of the oline has been the identity of that offense for 4 straight years, so yes, replacing 4 college olineman at once is a bigger challenge.

1. Hoban
2. East
3. Barberton
4. East
5. Hudson
6. Twinsburg
7. Nordonia
8. Stow
9. Revere
10. CVCA

Small school division:
1. Mogadore
2. Manchester
3. Norton

1. Hoban
2. East
3. Barberton
4. East
5. Hudson
6. Twinsburg
7. Nordonia
8. Stow
9. Revere
10. CVCA

Small school division:
1. Mogadore
2. Manchester
3. Norton

Clark...no StVM...c'mon!!? Either you are heavily sandbagging in February or one of the two slots in which you placed East (they are good, but not that good) was meant for your Irish.

1. Hoban
2. East
3. Barberton
4. East
5. Hudson
6. Twinsburg
7. Nordonia
8. Stow
9. Revere
10. CVCA

Small school division:
1. Mogadore
2. Manchester
3. Norton

Hi Clark. Are you thinking East is going to be really really good to have them both in the 2nd and 4th best teams in Summit County? I’m hoping that’s a typo and you have Irish in either the 2nd or 4th spot. If they are going to be that good....look out!!

Brian, I think that is too high for Manchester.

Younguy, you know the Panthers better than I do. Where would you put them at this early stage of the off-season?

With Wright and their history of success I feel like they as good as or better than any team on their schedule.

I am slipping. Long weekend. I meant to throw SVSM in at 4. I can't buy in fully though with the decreasing roster and the new crew still settling in over there.

I think Manchester will be very good in D5. Unfortunately, they will have to go through Orrvile again.

Younguy, you know the Panthers better than I do. Where would you put them at this early stage of the off-season?

With Wright and their history of success I feel like they as good as or better than any team on their schedule.

brian, early on is going to be tough. The O line has to be rebuilt. Their D, just a shade above average last year, lost a lot of key guys. They lost top receiver, top return man, leading tacklers, 2/3 of secondary and punter. While Wright and Foster return and are top notch, obviously, they need a 3rd option. QB play should be better. The scrimmages will be so very important in finding the answers. There may be a lot of younger players getting time. The coaches are going to have to concentrate on development quickly and quit showcasing Wright. He is the MAN and everyone knows it.

Yes, with the offensive line transition at Hoban it will now take until the second quarter in 90% of their games for fans to realize the game is over.

1. Hoban
2. East
3. Barberton
4. St.VM
5. Hudson
6. Twinsburg
7. Nordonia
8. Stow
9. Revere
10. CVCA

Small school division:
1. Mogadore
2. Manchester
3. Norton

#4 for StVM might be too high. Hear they are losing QB, RB, and a couple WR’s.

What is going on at East that has all these players flocking there, and don’t tell me it’s the coach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk