Way Too Early Look at 2023 Buckeyes

This isn't about bashing Ryan. This has been going on for 5 years not developing the talent.

2022 - 13th
2021 - 9th
2020 - no tournament, OSU ranked 6th in final poll
2019 - 2nd
2018 - 2nd
2017 - 2nd

IDK, it seems like the last two covid years have been weird. It was mentioned we lost out on some of our guys who did not get the extra years (K.Moore and Luke Pletcher). Both would have been big scorers had they been around 2021.

Guys move around a lot now. Its a diff world.

The 2020 NCAA tournament that we didn't get really affects OSU "fans" recency bias as well. We had eight qualified with a possibility of two champs in Pletch and Moore. The 9th and 13th may not feel as bad if we had a 4th or 5th to think back on...
Going into the 2020 seeds, tOSU looked to end up in 3rd, w/ a chance to grab 2nd from PSU or drop to 4th behind NEB.

Clearly he is the face of OSU wrestling. This isn't about bashing Ryan. This has been going on for 5 years not developing the talent.
5 years ago we won the B10s & we were fighting for the NCAA championship and ended up 2nd. 4 years ago we finish 2nd in B10s & 2nd in NCAAs. 3 years ago we were 3rd in B10s and per seeds were ranked 3rd (and close to 2nd) at NCAAs (cancelled). Granted, the last 2 seasons weren't what we were use to, but the "5 year" statement is ludicrous.

Actually no not at all. The second post was in regards to a coach. Not a wrestler.
My guess he isn't getting any better under the OSU coaching staff. Might be time for a change to get better. Sorry OSU fans just the truth and. the facts don't lie over the last 4 years.

I don't think it's a matter of you can you get that is better. I think maybe a new voice? Someone with a different outlook? Ryan is a CEO not a coach. He is maybe the 2nd best recruiter at the D1 level. If it isn't Ryan, is it the coaching staff?

Gotcha. It didn't read that way.

Last edited:
To those who lament the loss of Rosselli and how tOSU tanked when he left, what has he done at OK? He's been there for 6 years and has crowned 2 AA's, Demas 4th in 2019 & Woodley 6th in 2021. Should we fire him as well? BTW, I really like Rosselli and don't want to fire him. ?

tOSU had a special group from 2015 (NCAA champs) to 2018 w/ 4x AAs Nato, BoJo, and Snyder as the foundation. Logan helped this group in 2015 and others came after 2015 to keep things rolling - guys like 4x'er MyMar 2016-19, 3x'er Moore 2017-19, 3x'er (2 @tOSU) McKenna 2018-19, 3x'er Micah Jordan 2017-19, & 2x'er Pletcher 2018-19. If you have 3 guys like Nato, Bo and Snyder start as FR in the same year, your gonna be good for a stretch.

5 years ago we won the B10s & we were fighting for the NCAA championship and ended up 2nd. 4 years ago we finish 2nd in B10s & 2nd in NCAAs. 3 years ago we were 3rd in B10s and per seeds were ranked 3rd (and close to 2nd) at NCAAs (cancelled). Granted, the last 2 seasons weren't what we were use to, but the "5 year" statement is ludicrous.
BDHOF we all knew you see everything thru your scarlet colored glasses. Which is fine. That's what true fans do. However, outsiders see a different version of your Buckeyes. The facts remain Ryan has not lived up to the talent he brings into the room. You can spout Big 10 this and placers that. All of that is nice. Bottom line is to win an NCAA championship. Period. Do you think Penn State cares if they won the Big 10's this year? Answer is hell no because that is not the goal. I'm not here to argue with you because you will NEVER see it because you are a fan. I have said it for 5 years. It may be time to look at WHY can't the Buckeye wrestlers improve? Endurance, can't score and can't escape. All issues over the last 5 years with several wrestlers over the last half decade. Those are the facts. As I stated with last years class and now this years, I would put Ryan on the clock to bring home at least 1 NCAA championship in the next 3 years. 4 years if he decides to red shirt this class. Just how I see it.

Somewhere along the way, Coach Ryan went from RS'ing most guys to burning the RS's. Maybe it started w/ Captain America. That RS was significant b/c Snyder scored 18 pts in that NCAAs and tOSU beat Iowa by 16 pts. Then, for a while tOSU was in the thick of things for either a team title or a high finish so it made sense not to RS. That has not been the case for the last 2 years where tOSU finished 9th & 13th. One could argue that this year if the stars align the Buckeyes could have finished top 5 ("Wait till Hunter gets back!"). But the stars didn't align. tOSU had a decent performance for some, getting AA's out of Hoffman and Romero, but Sasso, Kharch, & Smith disappointed. I could have included former AA Orndorff in the disappointments, but his AA last year was unexpected and this year his chances were a farther reach. And Heinselman continues to be a guy who has some good matches during the season, but doesn't deliver at NCAAs.

tOSU's best lineup & performance gets them no where close to PSU next year. And while MICH & Iowa will need to rebuild, ASU seems to be the best of the rest. If tOSU RS's most of the FR next year, they'll struggle to stay in the top 10. An "all in" gets them in a fight for the trophy (top 4) but maybe much lower. A "pick & choose" puts them somewhere in between those two options. I like going all in on 2024. However, the 2024 option isn't diminished by wrestling guys like Bouzakis & others. As far as 285, you have an AA in Orndorff and the weight class is loaded. Let Feldman sit. Same w/ Schumate and Mendez. I like MP's lineup above, w/ the possible switch of Decatur at 141 instead of D'Emillio.

And in 2024 PSU is still the team to beat. They'll be w/o RBY, Hildebrandt, Lee, Berge & Dean. That's 70 pts (60.5 pts if you add in Beard's pts from 2021 at 197). The question is who will they bring in. Will Bartlett drop to 141 and be a threat to AA? Will Facundo, a highly regarded recruit who was so-so this year while RS'ing, find his way? Who will they pluck off the portal? And who will be in their next round of star-studded recruits?

OK, go Bucks in 2023!
With the transfer portal, NIL, Olympic and medical RS's, it makes ZERO sense to redshirt wrestlers who are ready to wrestle and are the best you have. It's mind boggling to me that people still think that old school mentality still makes sense.

BDHOF we all knew you see everything thru your scarlet colored glasses. Which is fine. That's what true fans do. However, outsiders see a different version of your Buckeyes. The facts remain Ryan has not lived up to the talent he brings into the room. You can spout Big 10 this and placers that. All of that is nice. Bottom line is to win an NCAA championship. Period. Do you think Penn State cares if they won the Big 10's this year? Answer is hell no because that is not the goal. I'm not here to argue with you because you will NEVER see it because you are a fan. I have said it for 5 years. It may be time to look at WHY can't the Buckeye wrestlers improve? Endurance, can't score and can't escape. All issues over the last 5 years with several wrestlers over the last half decade. Those are the facts. As I stated with last years class and now this years, I would put Ryan on the clock to bring home at least 1 NCAA championship in the next 3 years. 4 years if he decides to red shirt this class. Just how I see it.
I guess if the only goal is to win NCAAs then 70+ coaches need to be fired.

Given the resources Ohio State puts toward the sport of wrestling, and the roster talent that exists at Ohio State (or can exist at Ohio State), it is MORE THAN REASONABLE for the goal at Ohio State to be about the NCAA title. It is not reasonable for most schools in D1 to operate in that fashion.

I do wonder if the OK State people scream for John Smith's head since it has been forever it seems since OK STATE won a title. They haven't won a title since 2006.
JS has his critics for sure. OKST hasn't been close to as good as OSU for a decade or so.
If you remove Sanderson from PSU. Ryan and OSU are the team of the decade not PSU.
Short memories in CBUS for sure.

Good post'.

Given the resources Ohio State puts toward the sport of wrestling, and the roster talent that exists at Ohio State (or can exist at Ohio State), it is MORE THAN REASONABLE for the goal at Ohio State to be about the NCAA title. It is not reasonable for most schools in D1 to operate in that fashion.
What I find truly funny in all this. If you remove Sanderson from PSU. Ryan and OSU are the team of the decade not PSU. All these "fans" would be screaming that Ryan isn't being paid enough, strike now before someone hires him away. Just like PSU is doing right now with Sanderson.
I agree that a NCAA title is a "more than reasonable goal." I just don't think you fire Ryan b/c they don't accomplish that goal. Unless we're hiring Cael, we would be moving in the wrong direction. What we're seeing @ PSU is what we saw at Iowa during the Gable era where he won 15 NCAA titles, including 9 in a row to begin his tenure. I expect Cael to pass Gable at some time (currently at 9 titles) and go down in history as the GOAT NCAA coach once he reaches his 16 championship. That distinction will go well w/ his status as GOAT NCAA wrestler.

bdhof and others are missing the point. The point still remains the wrestlers are NOT getting better as a group. Those are the facts. Like any company, it starts and ends with the person in charge. Which is Ryan. What don't you understand. I will repeat what I said. A new voice or a new set of asst coaches may be what is needed.

Bucksman gets my point. The goal has to be a title. You are one of elite programs in the country. Produce like one. Period. Anything else is a failed year. My God you are OSU.

I hear ya @mailman112 and I think most do. Many of our discussions revolve around semantics it seems.

Results aren't the only measure of growth, but I understand it's the measure we use and I agree with your assessment that, "the wrestlers are NOT getting better as a group."
I do think these guys either improved or are improving. Myles, Pletch , Malik, Moore, Smith, Sasso, Romero, D'Emilio, Hoffman, Kharch.
But that's just what I believe and perhaps none of them have gotten better. If a failed year is measured by not winning a title. It's a failed year.

bdhof and others are missing the point. The point still remains the wrestlers are NOT getting better as a group. Those are the facts. Like any company, it starts and ends with the person in charge. Which is Ryan. What don't you understand. I will repeat what I said. A new voice or a new set of asst coaches may be what is needed.

Bucksman gets my point. The goal has to be a title. You are one of elite programs in the country. Produce like one. Period. Anything else is a failed year. My God you are OSU.
I agree that tOSU hires too much from w/in - all or mostly all former tOSU wrestlers and changing that could benefit the program. If you're saying anything other than a NCAA title is a failed year, I disagree. If you're saying a 9th or 13th place finish is a failed year, I would agree given our recent success. I remember the days when tOSU wrestling wasn't worth following - and I didn't follow it. I wrestled in the MAC (early 70s) when tOSU wouldn't have been one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the MAC. That didn't change until the earl 90s when they strung together 3 top 5 finishes (4th, 5th, & 5th). A couple more top 10 performances preceded the Ryan era in the early 2000s (6th & 3rd). Since Ryan took over we've had 3 B10 titles (the first since 1951), an NCAA title (first ever), 5 NCAA 2nds, a 3rd and 6 other top 10 finishes. Anything other than a title run or top 2 or 3 is a disappointment.

I do think we are missing out on leveraging the RTC. Losing Terbel and Snyder cost us any shot at the elite heavy 197's. If I were an elite wrestler I am looking to who can get me on top of the podium at ncaa's and prepare me to compete internationally. Not even sure who we have now and who the others have. What do you all think?

LOL!!!!!!!!!! THE #1 OSU sport IS and ALWAYS will be football. By saying anything less than an NCAA title is a failed year is ludicrous. If it's a failed year in wrestling it would obviously be a failed year in football. Come down from the clouds. IF we were BIG champs every 2-3 years I think that would be success. IF that happened the NCAA crown would take care of its self.

LOL!!!!!!!!!! THE #1 OSU sport IS and ALWAYS will be football. By saying anything less than an NCAA title is a failed year is ludicrous. If it's a failed year in wrestling it would obviously be a failed year in football. Come down from the clouds. IF we were BIG champs every 2-3 years I think that would be success. IF that happened the NCAA crown would take care of its self.

Excuse me, we are a synchronized (artistic) swimming team. 33 national titles.

I do think we are missing out on leveraging the RTC. Losing Terbel and Snyder cost us any shot at the elite heavy 197's. If I were an elite wrestler I am looking to who can get me on top of the podium at ncaa's and prepare me to compete internationally. Not even sure who we have now and who the others have. What do you all think?
Feldman disagrees that we have no shot at any 197 or heavys

If you pay attention to the football fan boards, the CFP is pretty much the baseline expectation for what is acceptable anymore for an Ohio State season. And quite frankly that is a more than reasonable baseline given Ohio State's football infrastructure and position within the college football ecosystem. There is a group of apologists who try to taper down from that baseline, but I think the CFP is a prevailing baseline within the Ohio State fanbase for football.

If you pay attention to the football fan boards, the CFP is pretty much the baseline expectation for what is acceptable anymore for an Ohio State season. And quite frankly that is a more than reasonable baseline given Ohio State's football infrastructure and position within the college football ecosystem. There is a group of apologists who try to taper down from that baseline, but I think the CFP is a prevailing baseline within the Ohio State fanbase for football.
But it's really not. How many teams have an "expectation" of making the F4 every year in football? Alabama, Oklahoma, LSU, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio St, Michigan, and I'm probably missing one or two. Teams like Notre Dame, USC, Texas A&M, and Auburn probably expect to be right around there as well. That's like 10 teams expecting to be in the top four every year, which is totally ridiculous and obviously not possible.

It's the same thing in wrestling. There are four trophies given out every year; Penn State and Iowa are the only two teams that should expect to win one every single year. Iowa has the richest history and is the best program of the last 50 years and Penn State has the best coach in the country. Okie St, Ohio St, Michigan, Arizona St, NC State, Virginia Tech, Cornell, Nebraska, Mizzou are all fighting for two of those other spots, and not winning a trophy is not a bad thing for seven of those nine teams! It's not a bad year if your team finishes outside the top four and expecting trophies every year is wild for all but two fan bases.

Just some more numbers to share.

NCAA National Champions by School (2012-22)
Penn State = 31
Cornell = 10
Ohio State = 9
Oklahoma State = 9
Iowa = 7
Missouri = 5
Illinois = 4
Minnesota = 4
NC State = 3
Arizona State = 2

NCAA National Champions by Home State (2012-22)
Pennsylvania = 21
Ohio = 10
New Jersey = 9
California = 7
New York = 7
Minnesota = 6
Iowa = 5
Maryland = 5
Missouri = 5
Michigan = 4

NCAA Runner’s Up by School (2012-22)
Penn State = 11
Iowa = 10
Ohio State = 8
Oklahoma State = 7
Michigan = 5
Minnesota = 5
Cornell = 4
Edinboro = 4
Lehigh = 4
NC State = 3

NCAA All-Americans by School (2012-22)
Penn State = 62
Iowa = 56
Oklahoma State = 50
Minnesota = 44
Ohio State = 44
Virginia Tech = 36
Cornell = 34
Missouri = 34
Michigan = 33
Nebraska =30

NCAA All-Americans by Home State (2012-22)
Pennsylvania = 137
Ohio = 86
New Jersey = 57
Illinois = 52
California = 46
Minnesota = 40
Michigan = 39
Iowa = 37
New York = 35
Missouri = 33

Of the 10 football teams you listed how many have changed coaching staffs within the last 8 years or so. Some legit canning, some moving on to higher salary, some pushed out to avoid possible personal issues. The list of good football coaches available is deep because multiple assistants at these schools make more than most head wrestling coaches. They have more experience and have been to multiple schools and programs. When you need to replace a football coach the pool of talent is deep to choose from. There's only a couple coaches that could even handle what Coach Ryan does at OSU.