Watkins Memorial HC

Colt1654

Where does Watkins look for their next head football coach? Anyone on current staff that would make sense?

The Dock

Look north to Knox County. There’s a WM alum coaching who, IMO, deserves an interview if he is interested.

Colt1654

Who’s that coach?
I believe he is referring to Cameron Smith who is coaching up at Danville. He was a first year head coach this past year and had some success with a winning record of 6-3 and a playoff victory. Might be something Watkins would be interested in if they want to get a young guy with ties to the program.

The Dock

I believe he is referring to Cameron Smith who is coaching up at Danville. He was a first year head coach this past year and had some success with a winning record of 6-3 and a playoff victory. Might be something Watkins would be interested in if they want to get a young guy with ties to the program.
That is who I’m referring to. Was going to wait until someone else said it.

I don’t know if he’s interested, or not. I don’t know if he’d be the most qualified candidate if he were to apply (Ryan Sayers from Northland, Tony Hurps from Berne Union... if either of them were interested???) but I think WM should at least give him an interview. He played for WM in both the OCC and LCL eras, connects really well with the kids and is a good student of the game. If he stays at Danville I think he could win a regional title before the age of 30.

Just something to think about. Also, Darren Waters was floated as a candidate for the Lancaster job earlier. Is he interested in getting back to HS head coaching? Would make the Battle of Broad Street more exciting.

Hartley1

Cameron Smith would be a home run hire.

Tony Hurps, Bloom Coach?, Amanda Coach?... not sure if any apply but would be a step up for all

I think Watkins is a really good job. Growing community. New school being built solid facilities. Similar to a Teays Valley... should win 6-8 games every year but will never do anything in D2 playoffs.

NASHVILLE

This should be an interesting topic. Watkins is getting bigger and I believe just built a new HS.

Tony Hurps could be a good option. Has had success at Berne Union
I don't see Bloom's coach leaving. They are a very good D4 program and always have a lot of talent there.
Amanda Clearcreek Steve Daulton seems to be doing well and that could be a good job for him.
Cameron Smith- I wouldn't call it a home run hire. I think he is going to be a good coach but after one year and being super young(nothing against that). Seems like it could lead to a lot of pressure coming home to lead a program.

Now do you look inside the LCL or even within the program. Are there coaches at other schools or assistants that might be a good fit.

Previous coaches like Sev and Jerry Cooke might be past their prime in starting over again. Kyle Oyster who coaches there and has been there for a long time I believe might be a good fit. Steve Haire who works in the district and was coach for a long time could be a solid hire

Do you look at one of the other LCL schools is an assistant from Licking Valley or Granville(schools who have had success the last few years) they might have someone looking to become a HC.

LCL

Valley's coaches would never leave. Granville keeps hiring a new coach every year now it seems. Cant see anybody at Lakewood or LH leaving. Maybe somebody on Catholic's staff. Johnstown's coachs are pretty loyal there I think. Would Bill Franks leave for Watkins? Probably a better chance winning in the LCL then in the OCC.

Hartley1

3 years. 11-17. 3-12 in the LCL

Watkins AD & Superintendent have Reynoldburg ties... have a relationship with Burchfield. No doubt they will make a run at him. Obviously, he is not going anywhere... but I guess you have to try if you are Watkins.

Watkins AD & Superintendent have Reynoldburg ties... have a relationship with Burchfield. No doubt they will make a run at him. Obviously, he is not going anywhere... but I guess you have to try if you are Watkins.
That would be a waste of time.

DCap113

LOL

The Dock

Watkins making a run at Burchfield? They got some competition... I heard Millersport was chasing him hard!!!

Hartley1

Calm down. We know he is not leaving. His kids are sophomores at Hartley. I am very involved with the staff...
But - Watkins AD came from Reynoldsburg. Him and Burch are tight. They talked all the time about him going back to the Burg, where he went to HS, once his kids graduated. Hartley does not pay well. Burch has many years at public schools. He will end up at a public school at some point and double his salary in the future.

I think Watkins gets some good candidates to apply. The AD and admin at Watkins want to do well.

RollingTrain

That is absolutely ridiculous for a school their size in that league.

NASHVILLE

Anyone hear any updates on the coaching search? Interested to see who the top candidates are.
I am hearing they had 40 applicants
They are only interviewing 5 or 6 folks. I would imagine they might have one candidate in house like their OC or DC from last year. I don't think kuhner called the Defense. They got candidates all over different places. I think Cam Smith who is HC coach at Danville might of applied. He is a former Watkins grad. If I recall they have a teacher who coaches at Granville.....Justin Smith I believe. He is the DC there...not sure if he applied. I could of seen the Berne Union/Amanda Clearcreek coaches applying. It would be a step up in Division and I don't know the talent level is there for either of their respected schools.

Cameron Smith would be a home run hire.

Tony Hurps, Bloom Coach?, Amanda Coach?... not sure if any apply but would be a step up for all

I think Watkins is a really good job. Growing community. New school being built solid facilities. Similar to a Teays Valley... should win 6-8 games every year but will never do anything in D2 playoffs.
Young coach. Had success early. Will stay for awhile and it would be a upgrade in pay. I am hearing smith is leading.

NASHVILLE

Young coach. Had success early. Will stay for awhile and it would be a upgrade in pay. I am hearing smith is leading.
I am interested where you heard that from....I have spoke to a few folks that live/work/coach in Watkins. They do not think that would be a good move for the school. It is great that he is from there and that could be helpful. They are in a strange spot. Big school and getting bigger but struggle with beating LCL teams as it is right now. The district/parents think very highly of their athletes and they just aren't in a spot right now to win.

The Dock

I have spoke to a few folks that live/work/coach in Watkins. They do not think that would be a good move for the school.
No disrespect to your acquaintances in the Kirkersville metropolitan area, but do they have any reasoning for that opinion other than age concerns?

If there is actually some widespread sentiment already brewing in the district, then that's not a good situation for him to walk into if he were offered.

RollingTrain

No disrespect to your acquaintances in the Kirkersville metropolitan area, but do they have any reasoning for that opinion other than age concerns?

If there is actually some widespread sentiment already brewing in the district, then that's not a good situation for him to walk into if he were offered.
When you’re the size of Watkins and getting shutout by Newark Catholic and going to OT with Lakewood I would be re-evaluating just about everything. Beating (or even playing) Utica isn’t going to get you far in Div.II.

The Dock

When you’re the size of Watkins and getting shutout by Newark Catholic and going to OT with Lakewood I would be re-evaluating just about everything. Beating (or even playing) Utica isn’t going to get you far in Div.II.
I definitely agree. I don’t know if he is the best candidate, or not, but I would hope more weight is given to the resume and references than what Pataskala Karen’s think. (And that goes for any coach in the running.) Like, you’re the biggest fish in the pond. And yet...

The Dock

Just for discussion purposes, S’s and G’s, whatnot, of the schools mentioned and whether WM would be a step-up...

Amanda = yes, step-up;
Berne Union = yes, step-up;
Bloom-Carroll = no;
Danville = probably a step-up;
Newark = ???

NASHVILLE

They scheduled Dublin Jerome, New Albany, and Westerville North this past year. That would of been bad news bears for them.

I think they are far from being a good team. I heard a earlier today that Kyle Oyster this season's OC was getting an interview. The other 4 or 5 I don't know. If Cam Smith gets one....I think he could be a good fit as he might stay for a long time but I think as good of a season he had at Danville....I would stay another year 2 get a better job in a year or 2

ER8868

Agree and whoever gets this job will have very small shoes to fill as they have underachieved massively the past few years as RollingTrain has pointed out. This coaching change will be a win for Watkins.