Was Bobby Valentine the worst hire in MLB history?

worst?

• Total voters

Probably the most hilarious hire in MLB history. I'd have to say the worst hire though would be someone so bad that a team that definitely should've made the playoffs didn't. Given how awful Lester and Beckett were this year along with a ton of other factors, Boston would've been pretty bad anyway although not as awful as they were

One of the worst. The Sox were coming off a historic collapse at the end of last season which was marked by players indifference, sitting in the clubhouse drinking during games instead of actually caring about the team. No control and it got Francona fired. So they bring in Valentine, the guy known for wearing Groucho Marx glasses after being thrown out of a game? Not a good way to right the ship and take control. He seemed to run the team like he was producing a reality TV show. Openly butted heads with his own players and it took to the media, players texts against management being brought to light, trades occurring seemingly due to personal differences and not play...the team was an absolute mess.

This season, he was easily the worst manager in the majors... BY FAR. I would like to see the Sox hire a former player (NOMAR!). Sandy Alomar Jr. was a rumored candidate last year but I'm hoping he stays in Cleveland.

This season, he was easily the worst manager in the majors... BY FAR. I would like to see the Sox hire a former player (NOMAR!). Sandy Alomar Jr. was a rumored candidate last year but I'm hoping he stays in Cleveland.

What about Varitek?

He interviews either today or tomorrow for Cleveland.

What about Varitek?

On another message board, he's the former Sox player I keep seeing... I haven't seen Nomar's name thrown out there but he is very intelligent (not that Varitek isn't intelligent) and has been out of the game for a few years now. I think since Varitek retired just last year that it may be too soon for him to hold such a high position. He could call a game behind the plate as good as anyone, which is why people are saying he would be a good fit.

The "big" name I see rumored for the position is John Farrell, current manager for the Blue Jays.

You guys already forget Ray Knight and Jerry Narron? Valentine was bad but he looks like Connie Mack next to Ray Knight.

its right up there cant think of many that were wrose ...he's always been a terrible mananger ...got his reputation of being good for having one great season

I agree, but if they did put him back on SNB it'd be funny to have the last two Boston manners calling a Sox/Yankees game together and try to sound objective :laugh: