Warren JFK

The VINDICATOR has an article in today's paper saying Coach John Richards was asked to resign, declined to do so and was then told by Kennedy School President Kenneally he wouldn't be rehired. No real further information was given.

Interesting to say the least. Wasn't he on the staff of a past regime? You would have thought that if they (administration) wanted to go in a different direction after coach Pompelia, they would have brought in an entirely new staff?

That being said, Richard's is a good guy.

Not exactly a talent rich program. They always played hard for what they got. I cannot see them getting a better coach then what they had. The NCL just got a bit weaker.

The bottom line is that they need better players to compete with the big boys. So are they
looking for a coach who knows the game and teaches values or a recruiter? What is important to them?

The problem JFK has is being in the league there in.Its hard to match up with talent of the Cleveland area schools.

St. Thomas Aquinas hasn't had a problem competing (although they don't beat CCC and VASJ very often, they compete with them with hoops).

And JFK dominated in football this past year, so they certainly get the athletes to compete with everyone else in the NCL. I don't buy that as an excuse.

Frankly, I thought Richards got them to overachieve (especially last year). Not sure how much better they think they can do with a different coach.

The bottom line is that they need better players to compete with the big boys. So are they
looking for a coach who knows the game and teaches values or a recruiter? What is important to them?

JFK doesn't know what they want. They'll fire a guy with a losing record, but not as quick as they'll fire a guy who brings in talent to try to make them more competitive. Over the years, kids like Desmar Jackson and (recently) Antonio McQueen have taken major away minutes from kids who have been in JFK's system for years. That has never sat well with JFK's alum/parents.

At the end of that day, that's what it boils down to.

St. Thomas Aquinas hasn't had a problem competing (although they don't beat CCC and VASJ very often, they compete with them with hoops).

And JFK dominated in football this past year, so they certainly get the athletes to compete with everyone else in the NCL. I don't buy that as an excuse.

Frankly, I thought Richards got them to overachieve (especially last year). Not sure how much better they think they can do with a different coach.

1. St. Thomas Aquinas has a decent track record in football. Meanwhile...

2. JFK "dominated in football?" Dominated who? While they get talent from throughout the area, they traditionally "schedule down" in football, which has held them back in recent years. As far as basketball goes, schools like Cleveland Central Catholic & VASJ could compete with Harding. As tough as JFK plays, their talent across the board doesn't compare to those schools.

3. I explained this point in my previous post. JFK doesn't know what they want.

1. St. Thomas Aquinas has a decent track record in football. Meanwhile...

2. JFK "dominated in football?" Dominated who? While they get talent from throughout the area, they traditionally "schedule down" in football, which has held them back in recent years. As far as basketball goes, schools like Cleveland Central Catholic & VASJ could compete with Harding. As tough as JFK plays, their talent across the board doesn't compare to those schools.

3. I explained this point in my previous post. JFK doesn't know what they want.

Maybe I didn't explain my post clearly, but JFK dominated the NCL White Division this past season...that was my point. JFK went 5-0, won the league title, and won by an average of 21 points in the NCL portion of the schedule. They also won 2 playoff games.

I was responding to the statement that JFK can't get the athletes the Cleveland area NCL schools do. I pointed out that STA competes just fine with the Cleveland area schools and also that JFK does seem to get very good athletes themselves (as proven by their football success this past year).

Back to basketball. Coach Richards is a classic over achiever. He knows basketball, he knows coaching, he knows kids. He would do anything for his team, he would be there for any player NO MATER WHAT. What is sad is kids are becoming softer and softer. Think back to when you played sports. The coaches you had that taught values and how to be a man, would be run out of town as being too tough, or too unfair, or too "my kid did not play".

High school sports used to be fun to watch, not so much any more. If there is a school that wants a coach that will take 12-20 boys and make them men, you should hire Coach Richards.

Father Mardi Gras........out!

Back to basketball. Coach Richards is a classic over achiever. He knows basketball, he knows coaching, he knows kids. He would do anything for his team, he would be there for any player NO MATER WHAT. What is sad is kids are becoming softer and softer. Think back to when you played sports. The coaches you had that taught values and how to be a man, would be run out of town as being too tough, or too unfair, or too "my kid did not play".

High school sports used to be fun to watch, not so much any more. If there is a school that wants a coach that will take 12-20 boys and make them men, you should hire Coach Richards.

Father Mardi Gras........out!

Unfortunately, the days of kids "running through a wall" simply because that's what their coach asked them to do are long over. Its a new age everyone.

Now it's "I want to do what I want - when I want and what my parents or AAU coach tell me I should do". All at the same time while trying to look cool to their friends in doing so...

Parents are ruling the roost at JFK, unhappy with style of play and playing time. Kids want to play run and gun, if they play this style with their schedule average defeat would be over 50 a game. Coach Richards did a great job, District Champs in 1st season. Lost all 5 starters this past season and had them in the district semi finals. Have all 5 starters returning for next year, but this job will be tough to fill. Area coaches know what's going on, will more than likely have to grab a youngster that wants a opportunity. Same parents that ran the football staff off after winning a NCL Championship and playoff birth are behind Richards dismissal. Only difference is there was stability in the football program, but still the powers to be had to pony up 3x coaching staff salary to bring in Bayuk to guide the football program. Can't see this happening in hoops, can compete in the NCL and getting by Cornerstone Christian in the district is very unlikely.

Talented teams get beat in the playoffs every year and have sub par seasons. The AAU, street ball / run and gun does not work in high school basketball. The great programs that you see year in and year out (LCC, VASJ, STA, ED's, etc) not only have talent, they have structure. The kids are all coached very hard and parents keep their noses out of the program. I cannot speak for all programs but VASJ wants the kids to handle issues on their own with the staff. It's not a democracy and it shouldn't be. The above poster is correct, JFK will be getting blown out playing without discipline and structure. They were competitive the past few seasons because of their coaching, not in spite of it. They will find out. They will get pummeled in the NCL. Everybody thinks VASJ just has incredible talent and they throw them out on the floor and they win, nothing could be further from the truth. Go watch a practice, watch them condition, watch how many times they do the same things over and over again until it's right, watch how even the star players get called out for not working hard or making mistakes, watch D1 kids throwing up in trash cans on condition days, etc. That is what it takes to be great. You cannot coddle kids and shame on the school for letting parents dictate policy. They have open Pandora's Box, good luck with that. Once parents have that much power it's hard to take it away and even harder to find a coach - ask Massilion football.

I saw JFK play in regionals the year before last... I couldn't believe how much size & athleticism they had for a D4 school. So I'm not buying this sisters of the poor story line as JFK being some dried up talent pool. Having Cornerstone, the eventual state champion, in your district is a bad break and does make it awfully hard to make a significant run. I don't know their coach enough to say whether he is good or bad but I don't buy that they haven't had the horses the last few years

I have seen JFK the last 4 years (twice a year) and they have not had much size or athleticism. They have kept games close based on coaching and schemes. The comparison I make is STA. That to me was a good D4 team. They are now D3 but JFK was not on that level in the 4 years I have seen them on the talent side.

Richards - JFK

Richards is a great guy, cares about kids and a good coach.

They have a lot of athleticism for D4. 6'6" center who is a jumper. 6'4" at the 4. Boffenkamf(?) is an excellent guard. That doesn't win games but that group was young and maturing. Bristol's knocked JFK out in the district semis with their biggest player 6'3" and Jones completely neutralized JFK's big.

STA - elite program in terms of how they do things. That is a class program that few D4 can compare to. Berlin Hiland (now also D3) reminds me of that level of commitment from parents to a GREAT program. I know they blew out CCA's best boys team two years ago by 20 in the regional semis and since then CCA has aspired to further push their program to that level of commitment.

State semis - Wellington started 6'8", 6'7", 6'5" against CCA with CCA's tallest starter at 6'3". Look at 27-2 Lincolnview, their biggest starter was 6'3". It takes a lot more than a big guy to get to regionals. In fact, in D4, very doable with 6'2" big who can shoot it. JFK has Boffenkamf who is excellent but needed more guard play. Ditto Malvern in D4.

Once word spreads that parents have a say so in matters finding a quality coach is tough. You usually end up with a assistant from somewhere or a young coach looking to get his break.

Richards is a great guy, cares about kids and a good coach.

They have a lot of athleticism for D4. 6'6" center who is a jumper. 6'4" at the 4. Boffenkamf(?) is an excellent guard. That doesn't win games but that group was young and maturing. Bristol's knocked JFK out in the district semis with their biggest player 6'3" and Jones completely neutralized JFK's big.

STA - elite program in terms of how they do things. That is a class program that few D4 can compare to. Berlin Hiland (now also D3) reminds me of that level of commitment from parents to a GREAT program. I know they blew out CCA's best boys team two years ago by 20 in the regional semis and since then CCA has aspired to further push their program to that level of commitment.

State semis - Wellington started 6'8", 6'7", 6'5" against CCA with CCA's tallest starter at 6'3". Look at 27-2 Lincolnview, their biggest starter was 6'3". It takes a lot more than a big guy to get to regionals. In fact, in D4, very doable with 6'2" big who can shoot it. JFK has Boffenkamf who is excellent but needed more guard play. Ditto Malvern in D4.

There is a reason McQueen transferred. Wasn't going to see the floor where he was. While having decent size, he tries to block everything and puts his team at a disadvantage for not being disciplined. He also breaks down and is easily frustrated.

Bofenkamp is pretty decent but becomes a one man dribbling show often trying to do too much. He has a nice shot and is generally a fun player to watch.

By far, their best player is Woods who has the best basketball IQ on the team.

I disagree on McQueen.He was going to be the first big off the bench plus one of Hardings big kids Johnson was a senior.I couldve only seen McQueen transferring if he was a senior.

Word is McQueen will transfer out of JFK, upset with coaching change and isn't a fan of many of the selfish players.

There is a reason McQueen transferred. Wasn't going to see the floor where he was. While having decent size, he tries to block everything and puts his team at a disadvantage for not being disciplined. He also breaks down and is easily frustrated.

Bofenkamp is pretty decent but becomes a one man dribbling show often trying to do too much. He has a nice shot and is generally a fun player to watch.

By far, their best player is Woods who has the best basketball IQ on the team.

Not sure where you're getting your info from, but McQueen would've seen nice PT at WGH. Start? Possibly in a game here or there, but practicing against Derek Culver & Shakem Johnson every day would've did wonders for his progression. McQueen, who hasn't been playing basketball for very long, started to take off late in his sophomore year. The lack of discipline that you spoke of should've been expected for a kid that's still figuring it out.

I haven't spoken with McQueen's family in a while, but word is that he's already impressing this AAU season. Hopefully, he'll come back to WGH to finish his career where it started. Whatever the case may be, I wish him well.

Not sure where you're getting your info from, but McQueen would've seen nice PT at WGH. Start? Possibly in a game here or there, but practicing against Derek Culver & Shakem Johnson every day would've did wonders for his progression. McQueen, who hasn't been playing basketball for very long, started to take off late in his sophomore year. The lack of discipline that you spoke of should've been expected for a kid that's still figuring it out.

I haven't spoken with McQueen's family in a while, but word is that he's already impressing this AAU season. Hopefully, he'll come back to WGH to finish his career where it started. Whatever the case may be, I wish him well.

Well, I've seen him play a half dozen or so times and saw Harding twice. That's enough of a sample for me to make that statement. That notwithstanding, why else transfer KNOWING you will lose half of your very important junior season? But maybe I'm missing something??

At the end of the day, I wish the young man well. I would hate for him to transfer back because that would just mean a wasted 11 games. I hope he sticks with JFK, starts fresh with a new staff and gets better playing in a conference loaded with talented players and helps them make a nice run which hopefull has them playing against CCA in a district finals.

Well, I've seen him play a half dozen or so times and saw Harding twice. That's enough of a sample for me to make that statement. That notwithstanding, why else transfer KNOWING you will lose half of your very important junior season? But maybe I'm missing something??

At the end of the day, I wish the young man well. I would hate for him to transfer back because that would just mean a wasted 11 games. I hope he sticks with JFK, starts fresh with a new staff and gets better playing in a conference loaded with talented players and helps them make a nice run which hopefull has them playing against CCA in a district finals.

I believe you can transfer back to your public school district and not sit out? Maybe wrong on that.

No offense meant - looking good at AAU is a lot different than team play in the OHSAA tournament. McQueen looks good walking into the gym. He has an extremely difficult home situation and I wish the best for him.

I believe you can transfer back to your public school district and not sit out? Maybe wrong on that.

No offense meant - looking good at AAU is a lot different than team play in the OHSAA tournament. McQueen looks good walking into the gym. He has an extremely difficult home situation and I wish the best for him.

No, you are correct about going back to public. I meant the 11 games he lost going to JFK.

I've missed 2 WGH basketball games since 2006. Nobody knows their talent more than I do and McQueen would've saw significant PT this past season. It's not unusual for kids to make the move from WGH to JFK/Howland if they are convinced that they can shine more if they left. It's been happening for years.

Like yourself, I'll be in McQueen's corner regardless. He's a nice kid from a nice family and I'll continue to wish him nothing but the best.