Walsh Ironman - discussion, etc

bucksman

Preliminary seeds for this weekend's tournament have been posted.

Three national #1 and five national #2 ranked wrestlers are among the top seeds in the tournament.

Team wise, the field is obviously anchored by Blair Academy NJ and Wyoming Seminary PA. Among the more commoner schools, that group is led by St. Edward, Lake Highland Prep FL, Montini Catholic IL, and Cincinnati LaSalle. Elyria, Chicago Mt. Carmel IL, Brecksville, Malvern Prep PA, and Mount St. Joseph MD are also teams ranked nationally within the top 30 in the field.

Preliminary seeds for this weekend's tournament have been posted.

Three national #1 and five national #2 ranked wrestlers are among the top seeds in the tournament.

Team wise, the field is obviously anchored by Blair Academy NJ and Wyoming Seminary PA. Among the more commoner schools, that group is led by St. Edward, Lake Highland Prep FL, Montini Catholic IL, and Cincinnati LaSalle. Elyria, Chicago Mt. Carmel IL, Brecksville, Malvern Prep PA, and Mount St. Joseph MD are also teams ranked nationally within the top 30 in the field.

“Commoner”? How about non evil empire teams? Lol

Some discussion would be good.

One of the best tourneys of the season, anywhere.
Hoping that LaSalle sends from 138 on down. Anyone know what kids played football? :unsure:

Some discussion would be good.

One of the best tourneys of the season, anywhere.
Hoping that LaSalle sends from 138 on down. Anyone know what kids played football? :unsure:
Haywood, HWT and Blevins, 220 come to mind probably have some Lbs to loose and get into wrestling shape, maybe early January they'll be ready

Alek Martin is out, he also did not wrestle this past weekend at the Marysville Duals.

152 seems to be the deepest weight of the tournament.~

I would say 106 and 170 are surprisingly lacking in terms of top heavy talent and overall depth (then again 106 national is just a total mess beyond that top tier of ~10).

The schedule on the Ironman website says the quarters are on Friday night. Is this the 1st year for that? I thought the quarters were always Saturday.

The schedule on the Ironman website says the quarters are on Friday night. Is this the 1st year for that? I thought the quarters were always Saturday.

Can someone confirm this, please!! I don't recall the schedule from previous years and would like to know what I'm walking into.

TIA.

Per FLO

FRIDAY – DECEMBER 13, 2019
10 AM - First Whistle – Championship and consolation brackets wrestled simultaneously each day.

7:30 PM (Approximately) - Championship quarterfinals

SATURDAY – DECEMBER 14, 2019
10 AM - All consolations
Noon - Championship Ssemifinals and consolations
1:30 P.M. – Consolations & 7th place matches
4:30 PM – ‘Parade of Champions’ ALL FINALISTS enter ‘THE DOME’
4:45-6:45 – Championship Finals and 3rd/5th place bouts on 3 mats
7:00 P.M. – Awards Ceremony

Can someone confirm this, please!! I don't recall the schedule from previous years and would like to know what I'm walking into.

TIA.
I believe they started doing quarters on Friday either last year or the year before. Tournament use to start at 1p. Now it starts at 10a

Wish they would change the venue! There’s never a place to sit and watch all the matches. The finals are a mad house. Not even sure how the FD lets it happen. If the event was held at the field house in Akron we could watch all the matches without loosing your seat when you go to another gym to watch a match. Sorry for the rant. But , for the toughest in season tournament , there should be a bigger venue. All just my opinion.

“Commoner”? How about non evil empire teams? Lol
maxresdefault.jpg

This is a great tourney, but it was more interesting in the days when SPG or Eds had a chance to win the title. Blair, aka The Evil Empire, has upped their game of recruiting the best from around the country - 106 McGowan #1 seed FL, 120 Miller #3 seed PA, 138 Chittum #10 seed TN, 160 Stewart #5 seed MD, 170 Mata #2 seed CA, 182 Rogers WA #2 seed WA, 195 Craft #1 seed OH, 220 Pettigrew #4 GA

They do have 4 from NJ - 126 Mastrogiovanni #1 seed, 132 Wask #16 seed, 145 Norman #13 seed, 152 #1 Mastrogiovanni #1 seed.

Now, I certainly don't begrudge any of these young men and/or their parents from doing what they feel is best for them. And it does come with a price at $64,000 per year (tuition & boarding). Tho it is becoming almost impossible to compete with these types of programs for the typical HS.

Wyoming Seminary is about the same, in spite of the fact that they are located in wrestling rich PA.
106 Sheen #3 seed IL, 113 Cernus #8 seed OH, 120 McNeil #11 seed ON (Ontario), 126 Bouzakis #3 seed FL, 138 Bartlett #1 seed AZ, 145 McNeil #2 seed ON, 160 Arnold #15 seed GA, 170 Donahue #4 seed OH,

132 Munch #3 seed PA, 152 Kievman #6 PA, 182 Rees #11 PA, 195 Costello #11 PA, 220 Franklin #3 PA, 285 Miller #11 PA

And have a price (tuition & boarding) of $58, 000