Wally Vickers

gostate03

I guess he retired today and Clint Adkins is taking over, long time assistant. Per Mike Dyer on Twitter.

I know a lot of people disliked him as a person and didn't always agree with him, but he did win a lot of games and was very successful.

Wonder if Clint keeps things the same or if he experiments a little with his own philosophies and ways. Either way, East has to be the favorites coming into this year.

Congratulations, Wally. You did a lot of positive things for your school and community and it's been a pleasure watching you coach.

Wow- retires after all these years in June? No fan fare or retirement party in June. Lakotas will have 3 out of 4 basketball head coaches replaced- whoever had Fishman as the last guy standing, wins. I think East is going to turn some heads this year- good luck!

Hey V Cut. Was it a pleasure watching him coach when he quit on his team and stopped coaching against Princeton a couple years ago? It wasn't even the second half yet. He is nothing but a big cry baby. If things don't go his way he gets mad and takes it out on his players. And the only time he's had success is when he had teams that were loaded. You never saw him take an average team deep in the playoffs.

Mayor of Coolville, you sound like a disgruntled parent and Lil Johnny wasn' t good enough to either make the team or if he did make the team , didn't get many minutes! LOL

Hey V Cut. Was it a pleasure watching him coach when he quit on his team and stopped coaching against Princeton a couple years ago? It wasn't even the second half yet. He is nothing but a big cry baby. If things don't go his way he gets mad and takes it out on his players. And the only time he's had success is when he had teams that were loaded. You never saw him take an average team deep in the playoffs.

I'm not saying he was the greatest coach or a bad coach - he was merely a coach I enjoyed watching.

I'm not a Lakota person nor am I a coach, so I'm not aware of all the things that happen behind the scenes but I do know he has taken some mediocre teams and made them work extremely hard. His teams have always competed. Every year I have seen East, they're energetic, they hustle, and they are great teammates. Sometimes that's the hardest thing to coach kids. I'm sure West would have loved a team who was energetic as East and who worked as a team like they did. That kind of team work is what has made us at Fairfield so successful lately.

All I'm saying is that he did a great job with what he had. Also, with his wife and his recent heart attack, I think he's handled everything extremely well. A lot of GMC schools would proudly take 151 wins in 12 seasons

Mayor of Coolville, you sound like a disgruntled parent and Lil Johnny wasn' t good enough to either make the team or if he did make the team , didn't get many minutes! LOL

My son did play for Vickers. And probably got the playing time he deserved. But I can't respect any coach that quits coaching in the middle of a game and just sits on the bench pouting. Every person who says this man is a good coach needs to just sit down for five minutes with any of the players or parents so they can get a clear picture on what kind of coach he really is. Also there are other coaches in the GMC that have not been coaching as long that have better win percentages and more conference titles.

My son did play for Vickers. And probably got the playing time he deserved. But I can't respect any coach that quits coaching in the middle of a game and just sits on the bench pouting. Every person who says this man is a good coach needs to just sit down for five minutes with any of the players or parents so they can get a clear picture on what kind of coach he really is. Also there are other coaches in the GMC that have not been coaching as long that have better win percentages and more conference titles.

You might be able to say that Wally isn't the nicest guy and doesn't kiss parents or players butts to make them feel good about themselves. But you can't say he doesn't win. Name a coach with more titles? He won 2 at Sycamore and 2 or 3 at East. You could argue that he is the most successful coach in the league over the last 20 years. I have followed his career ever since he coached jv ball for the blue and I knew he would be a great coach. Congrats sir on an outstanding career. Haters gonna hate.

I guess he retired today and Clint Adkins is taking over, long time assistant. Per Mike Dyer on Twitter.

Good luck Coach Adkins. It is hard to follow a legend. I know the last Lakota coach to resign late so his assistant could take over didn't work out so well. This year could be special with this team though. Every one seems to be picking East to win the league.

Really looking forward to see Atkins take over the program and really glad to see Vickers gone.

Yes, Haters gonna Hate and I have never met a Coach hated more by his players and the parents. I have talked to hundreds of players/parents and not been able to find a single person who enjoyed their experience playing for East under Vickers. NOT ONE! Now that's pretty telling isn't it.

I think Vickers was a good Coach (of the game) but players couldn't stand playing for him. If they had the option of jumping ship they did - or just merely pursued other interest rather than play for him. It wasn't a matter of Lil Johnny not getting playing time. The more you played the more you hated him. The more your son played the more you hated him as a patent.

Good luck to Atkins and hope to see renewed interest in Basketball by East future bballers.

East is bringing back a helk of team. They have to be the GMC favorites, so why quit now?

I should have been a teacher, retiring at 52?

East is bringing back a helk of team. They have to be the GMC favorites, so why quit now?

I should have been a teacher, retiring at 52?

Close sources tell me that there was a build up of events that the administration could no longer ignore and options were put on the table. Why quit now? - It may have been his best option.

The Mayor and Hawks14 should be thrilled, obviously not fans with your posts over the years.
Guy gave his career to public education, teaching, coaching, and gave to state coaches association. Obviously a bad person. Know former players/parents from each school he served. He has their respect.
Be happy you two and move on.

He is indeed a big whiny cray baby. What was the incident a few years back that went down w/ Vickers and an official? I can't remember, but it made the press. :shrug:

Really looking forward to see Atkins take over the program and really glad to see Vickers gone.

Yes, Haters gonna Hate and I have never met a Coach hated more by his players and the parents. I have talked to hundreds of players/parents and not been able to find a single person who enjoyed their experience playing for East under Vickers. NOT ONE! Now that's pretty telling isn't it.

I think Vickers was a good Coach (of the game) but players couldn't stand playing for him. If they had the option of jumping ship they did - or just merely pursued other interest rather than play for him. It wasn't a matter of Lil Johnny not getting playing time. The more you played the more you hated him. The more your son played the more you hated him as a patent.

Good luck to Atkins and hope to see renewed interest in Basketball by East future bballers.

James Dews, Cordale Boyd, Mike Boyd..These guys still remain very close with Wally and that's just off the top of my head. You must not get out and talk much.

People don't like Wally because he was a demanding coach and expected hard work. That's a combination that doesn't mesh well with Lakota kids at all. He's a coach thats not going to give you warm fuzzies constantly because he wants to continually push you to be your best and not let you settle for less than that. Some stayed and persevered because of it, and others chose to run. Just a matter of different kids handling situations differently. I know several that hated playing for Wally at the time, but now see that value in what he did and the way he coached and have nothing but respect for him.

Only knock I really have on Wally is that he didn't like kids playing other sports because it interfered with the basketball schedule.

I sat beside Wally at the tournament draw meeting at West a couple of years ago. I was surprised at his level of arrogance, based on his accomplishments,
you would have thought he had won a couple of championships ,ie Dan Fleming. Now that he is gone i wonder if Myo Baxter will transfer back into East. He would make a loaded squad all that much better.

I sat beside Wally at the tournament draw meeting at West a couple of years ago. I was surprised at his level of arrogance, based on his accomplishments,
you would have thought he had won a couple of championships ,ie Dan Fleming. Now that he is gone i wonder if Myo Baxter will transfer back into East. He would make a loaded squad all that much better.

Nope. As of last year, his move had NOTHING to do with anything/anyone at East.

His family moved to a Dayton suburb, I think it was Northmont. He chose to go to CJ rather than Northmont high school.