Wal$h - Who knew?

I guess they wanted to win? What's their record in those sports, anyways? If they aren't seriously winning, they sure aren't getting their money's worth! :)

I guess they wanted to win? What's their record in those sports, anyways? If they aren't seriously winning, they sure aren't getting their money's worth! :)
Something like 10 state championships in girls soccer.

Wonder if they will get alumi to pay the tuition / fines. Need a meeting to get it all straight so they know to put the money in the parents bank accounts so it looks they they are paying it.

Self reported... what a joke. How noble.

Last edited:
WJ wrestling won 8 team titles from '91-'00. Only St. Edward, Graham, and Maple Hts. (powerhouse from the mid-'50s to mid-'70s) have more.
Oh yeah, they've also had 47 individual state champions spanning from 1980-2017. That's 4th all-time behind the 3 aforementioned schools. Depending on how long the boosters have been putting their hands in the cookie jar, I would say they're getting what they're paying for.

Hmmmm...seems like they have some serious booster issues to deal with. People with egos & money make for bad boosters, frequently.

Unknowingly received scholarships? :unsure:
Booster works out deal w/ kid's parents and sends them money that they redirect to the school as a tuition payment. The kid never sees the money and may not suspect a thing unless he or she knows the parents can't afford Walsh. Even then, they can just tell the kid they applied for need-based financial aid.

I'll give you an example:
Cam Newton began his collegiate career at Florida. He got in trouble there and left after 1.5 years to attend a JuCo in Texas. On the recruitment trail back to a major DI program, Cam Newton was unknowingly being shopped to Mississippi State by his father to the tune of between $100k and $180k according to Mississippi State boosters. As we know, Cam chose Auburn instead...

In no way do I condone the actions, but I understand how fierce the competition can be among the private schools in the Cleveland-Akron area for run-of-the-mill students, let alone students with special talents that a school could capitalize on. From what I've read from supporters of the large single-gender Catholic schools in the Cincinnati area, I gather that it's pretty similar in that part of the state. There are private schools to fit every niche in both of those markets.

Last edited:
Booster works out deal w/ kid's parents and sends them money that they redirect to the school as a tuition payment. The kid never sees the money and may not suspect a thing unless he or she knows the parents can't afford Walsh. Even then, they can just tell the kid they applied for need-based financial aid.

Cam Newton began his collegiate career at Florida. He got in trouble there and left after 1.5 years to attend a JuCo in Texas. On the recruitment trail back to a major DI program, Cam Newton was unknowingly being shopped to Mississippi State by his father to the tune of between $100k and $180k according to Mississippi State boosters. As we know, Cam chose Auburn instead...
For some reason I’m pretty sure this is also what happened with Brian Bowen and Louisville. I may have the scandal mixed up with someone else, but it’s happened in hoops before.

For some reason I’m pretty sure this is also what happened with Brian Bowen and Louisville. I may have the scandal mixed up with someone else, but it’s happened in hoops before.
I don't doubt that it happens in college hoops regularly or in other sports in which a college program is serious about competing at the highest level. I picked the Cam Newton example because I recall part of Auburn's defense to get him reinstated was on the grounds that Cam didn't know his father was shopping him to any schools.

Last edited:
It's high school sports!!! 3/4 of the excitement I have the first 2 days back at track and field practice is the thought of developing the kids. Seeing kids I've never seen before and exploring with them what they might be able to do. I think that 80% or more of the conversations Howard and I have is about the bottom (I don't know a better word to use) half of our roster and their potential and how they can help the team and how we can help them. We work with the kids we have. I'm sure enough kids will enroll naturally at Wal$h to field teams.

I read a few of the articles about this Wal$h scandal and in a couple, they had no problem naming the coaches involved, but would only say "an administrator" when it came to that part of the story. I defend the OHSAA on a lot of things, but this isn't a slap on the wrist offense. This is a you don't get to go to the tournament for the next 4 years offense. This is a we will let all your kids transfer back to their home public schools without penalty offense. They can stay at Wal$h if they choose, but all their sports are on probation for X number of years. The administration knew this was going on. It is almost the highest form of cheating in HS sports. How hard is it to follow the rules? If you don't, you should be disqualified. Seems the kids are the only ones being punished if they are really even being punished.

In no way do I condone the actions, but I understand how fierce the competition can be among the private schools in the Cleveland-Akron area for run-of-the-mill students, let alone students with special talents that a school could capitalize on. From what I've read from supporters of the large single-gender Catholic schools in the Cincinnati area, I gather that it's pretty similar in that part of the state. There are private schools to fit every niche in both of those markets.
Oh it is happening in Toledo also and no reason to exclude Columbus.

Oh it is happening in Toledo also and no reason to exclude Columbus.

It also goes on with some public schools especially within the same district if they have more than one high school. I have seen great middle school XC teams split kids between their high schools. Maybe in some districts you can choose your high school? Maybe they don't have set feeder middle schools? I think that is what happened to the Tiger guy who used to post on here. Wasn't one of the Pickerington schools poaching kids heading to the other for football & track? I am aware that it is most prevelent in the parochials who do not have set feeders, but I think others do it to an extent.

I read a few of the articles about this Wal$h scandal and in a couple, they had no problem naming the coaches involved, but would only say "an administrator" when it came to that part of the story. I defend the OHSAA on a lot of things, but this isn't a slap on the wrist offense. This is a you don't get to go to the tournament for the next 4 years offense. This is a we will let all your kids transfer back to their home public schools without penalty offense. They can stay at Wal$h if they choose, but all their sports are on probation for X number of years. The administration knew this was going on. It is almost the highest form of cheating in HS sports. How hard is it to follow the rules? If you don't, you should be disqualified. Seems the kids are the only ones being punished if they are really even being punished.
For what its worth, perhaps the most notorious case of "school breaking the rules for athletics purposes" (and arguably infractions and actions way worse than the Walsh situation) in the past decade only amounted to 2 years of postseason ban and fines in the thousands.

It also goes on with some public schools especially within the same district if they have more than one high school. I have seen great middle school XC teams split kids between their high schools. Maybe in some districts you can choose your high school? Maybe they don't have set feeder middle schools? I think that is what happened to the Tiger guy who used to post on here. Wasn't one of the Pickerington schools poaching kids heading to the other for football & track? I am aware that it is most prevelent in the parochials who do not have set feeders, but I think others do it to an extent.
I am sure there is recruiting going on at public school but I don't think "boosters" are paying their parents to go to those schools.

For what its worth, perhaps the most notorious case of "school breaking the rules for athletics purposes" (and arguably infractions and actions way worse than the Walsh situation) in the past decade only amounted to 2 years of postseason ban and fines in the thousands.
My, how times have changed! I assume you're referring to Harvest Prep's athletic department in your reference to the "most notorious case of 'school breaking the rules for athletics purposes' in the past decade." I can also recall S. Euclid Regina's girls hoops program getting booted from the tournament about 10 years ago. The school closed not long afterward. Regina's coach then went to Lake Ridge Academy and got them excluded from postseason play, maybe even in his 1st year at the school.

However, all of that pales in comparison to the 1962 Canton McKinley football team:
1962 (0-0-0) Pete Ankey
Year of suspension by OHSAA, No games played
Canton McKinley 1962, Undefeated, Untied and Undressed (by Michael T. George)

During the off season between 1960 and 1961 a couple of McKinley boosters were in the Portsmouth, Ohio area and had overheard a grumbling parent complain about the playing time that his sons were getting. After some discussion these boosters found the father a job in the Canton area. The players enrolled in McKinley for the 1961 season. The Superintendent of Portsmouth reported to the OHSAA that McKinley had "stolen" two of his "star players". During the ensuing investigation the OHSAA determined that McKinley was in violation of the bylaw regarding "undue influence" and banned McKinley from inter-scholastic football for the 1962 season - "THE DEATH PENALTY"
McKinley's position was similar to that of many schools today...That the school has no control over what boosters do. McKinley exhausted all attempts to get the ruling reversed; including OHSAA appeal, Gubernatorial intervention, and an injunction that was taken all the way to the State Supreme Court. The Ohio State Supreme Court's final ruling was that the OHSAA was private, independent organization and as a member McKinley was bound to follow the rules and decisions of said organization.
Side notes...
Massillon had toyed with the idea of playing McKinley in the final game of the season regardless of the ruling by the OHSAA and was informed that any school doing so would face a similar penalty.
The two "recruited" players were not that good and didn't play much in the '61 season. (In the end what do boosters know about talent). The father turned on McKinley also for not playing his gifted sons.
McKinley played an intramural program that year and the Massillon band even came over and performed during the half time of one of the games.
The OHSAA also saw what effect that this had on the general population of the student body and really has gone out of its way to not hand out the 'Death Penalty' since.
:>---
#1 AP Poll-State Champion, Toledo Central Catholic

1962 All-Ohio Team

I do believe the above write-up was done by fellow yappi poster "Ohiopup." He is the guy who can get things with regard to the history of Canton McKinley Bulldog athletics. I bolded the final sentence for effect.

I was driving and listening to sports talk when they interviewed the Regina BB coach going into the tournament. I remember actually talking/yelling to the radio saying, "you are admitting to like 5 OHSAA rules violations!!! How do you not know this?! How are you this stupid?! You are on the Radio!!! I think it was another year or two before they got "booted". Then, I remember a guy I worked with telling me who the new basketball coach was at Lake Ridge Academy. He always greets me with "How is that possible." instead of Hello.

I honestly think that the OHSAA cleared Regina of any violations. At least the year I'm thinking about. Because I was baffled by that too.

I am sure there is recruiting going on at public school but I don't think "boosters" are paying their parents to go to those schools.
Maybe not tuition but a lot of OE schools charge to go there, that gets waived or paid outright. Also apartments and housing is often provided to skirt transfer rules. There is a certain public school in my area that played for a state title a few years ago that had kids from 6-7 different schools. None of them sat, some had OEd early, some "moved". The Walsh situation is bad but it happens at publics too.