Volleyball Tourney

Auggie

Anyone feel like talking about the volleyball post season? Surprisingly it is kind of dead around here when you consider it has probably over taken hoops as the premier girls HS sport, especially in this part of the country.

Probably won’t really start following until the district final in Jefferson. Then the fun begins.

I might take in the game on Saturday as I believe the first round game will be at LC.

Probably won’t really start following until the district final in Jefferson. Then the fun begins.

I might take in the game on Saturday as I believe the first round game will be at LC.

Jefferson is going to be an interesting District this year and you will want to take in the semi against Hubbard. While they played a fairly easy schedule Hubbard is 21-1 and seeded higher than Lake, they may also have the best player on the court too in a Witte sized player in the middle; Lake is lacking at that position this year. The rest of Hubbard I'm not so sure about. Winner gets NDCL.

Also while on Div II... The Brush District is a great example of competitive balance in action. A couple of former Div III state contenders, Gilmour & VASJ, get pushed up and are seeded higher than NCL member Beaumont. Gilmour should come out of this District and could be the chalk to come out of the Stow Region. Expect to hear the OHSAA honks crow about how great CB is when this happens, especially when Independence wins the Barberton Div III Region. Problem is that Independence is better than any NEO Div II team outside of Padua this year as they have already beaten VASJ & Gilmour and played Div I title contender St. Joseph Academy tough.

Also Padua is kind of the Toledo Central Catholic of volleyball. They barely stayed in Div II and got a host of young very talented players into the program, especially at key positions, to replace NCAA Div I recruits that just graduated. Lose a 6' lefty setter, no problem as here comes a Soph transfer 5'10" lefty setter. They will be a force in Div II for years to come.

In NEO Div I I'm not so sure Brecksville skates through again this year. They have one of the best players in the state but they just don't seem to have that same level of hunger. I really think St. Joseph Academy will push through through with their depth and over all athleticism but at the end it will be one of the Cincy area catholic schools that take the title.

Jefferson is going to be an interesting District this year and you will want to take in the semi against Hubbard. While they played a fairly easy schedule Hubbard is 21-1 and seeded higher than Lake, they may also have the best player on the court too in a Witte sized player in the middle; Lake is lacking at that position this year. The rest of Hubbard I'm not so sure about. Winner gets NDCL.

I saw LC was the three seed, but figured it was just because of the regular season record. I didn’t look at the bracket and did not know Hubbard was that good.

Any idea on who beat the Eagles?

In NWO;

Millbury District - Should be Toledo Notre Dame (19-3) vs Anthony Wayne (19-3) in the district final.

Napoleon District - Couple very interesting and competitive district semi final games. Should be Toledo St. Ursula (16-6) vs Perrysburg (17-5) and Oregon Clay (17-5) vs Ashland (21-1).

Some regular season games of interest - Clay beat Perrysburg in 3 tight games (Pburg's top player, 6 rotation OH didn't play). SUA beat Clay in 4 tight games.

Games vs ranked teams;

Perrysburg-
Lost to Amhurst Steele #13 D1 3-0
Lost to Toledo Notre Dame #9 D1 3-0
Beat Cleveland St. Joe #6 D1 2-1.

SUA -
Lost to Mount Notre Dame #2 D1 2-0
Lost to Dublin Coffman #4 D1 3-0
Lost to Padua #1 D2 3-1
Lost to St Joe #6 D1 2-0
Lost to Toledo Notre Dame #9 D1 3-1
Beat Lake Catholic #12 D2 2-0
Beat Gilmour Academy #3 D2 3-0
Beat Ottawa Glandorf #7 D3 3-0

Clay-
Lost to Notre Dame Cathedral Latin#11 D2 2-0
Lost to Toledo Notre Dame #9 D1 3-0
Lost to SUA #15 D1 3-1
Beat Jackson Center #12 D4 3-1

Ashland-
Beat Triway #18 D2 3-1

Last edited:

It’s either drive to Lyndhurst for the boys soccer district semifinal against Brush or Jefferson for the volleyball semifinal against Hubbard.

I think I’m taking you advice Auggie and taking in the volleyball match. Weather made it an easier decision.

I'll be following Triway. They've been having a great year (22-2) with only losses coming to DI Ashland and a very good DIII Waynedale team. In our 22 wins, we have only lost 5 sets.

We play Tallmadge @ Tallmadge for the district final this Saturday.

I'll be following Triway. They've been having a great year (22-2) with only losses coming to DI Ashland and a very good DIII Waynedale team. In our 22 wins, we have only lost 5 sets.

We play Tallmadge @ Tallmadge for the district final this Saturday.

I congratulate The Titanettes :) on a solid season.

They should win their district easily but then will run into the NCL gauntlet at Stow and that will be that. Every team in the NCL Blue is still alive in the District finals plus 2018 additions Gilmour and St Joe's Academy are the favorites to win their Districts, this is big girl volleyball. I understand that Triway's league is what it is but with apologizes to Ashland & Wayndale knowing that this was going to be a good team why not schedule at least a couple top 20 level opponents OOC to get a feel for the speed that a NCL team will bring to the table in the Regionals? Ask 22-1 Hubbard what a 12-11 Lake Catholic team brought to the table in their District semi.

Just like in baseball (Newark Catholic comes to mind), great teams can have bad records. Hoping our girls can step up to the occasion this Saturday and give themselves a berth into regionals.

D1 Napoleon District Final
19-5 Oregon Clay vs 18-6 Toledo St. Ursula

Clay beat Ashland (3-1) to advance and St. Ursula beat Perrysburg (3-1).

Teams played a very competitive match a couple weeks ago. Should be a great game. Too close to call.

D1 Millbury District
21-3 Toledo Notre Dame vs 19-5 Sylvania Southview

Notre Dame beat Findlay 3-0 and Southview beat Anthony Wayne in 5 (AW had swept them 3-0, 3-0 in regular season).

NDA just has too much for Southview.

Any thoughts on D3 this year?

Independence out of the NE

Coldwater out of NW

Tusky Valley out of SE

Miami East out of SW

Upsets? Who wins it all?

Any thoughts on D3 this year?

Independence out of the NE

Coldwater out of NW

Tusky Valley out of SE

Miami East out of SW

Upsets? Who wins it all?

Independence out of Barberton, strong team with one of the best defenses in the state regardless of Division.

Coldwater should make a good run at finally getting past the Regional Final in D3. They had something like 40+ consecutive game victories until Ft Recovery finally broke that streak. Coldwater eventually won the match. Their only match loss came against #1 in D4 New Bremen. New Bremen's only loss, ironically, came against Ft Recovery.

Nice win for Lake Catholic last night, the 1st set is so crucial and needing more that 25 to win it really made it that much sweeter. Also heard Coach Severino earned his paycheck this game as he did a good job of making adjustments to counter the big hitter from Hubbard; looks like she may be joining Witte at tOSU in a couple years too.

Round 3 of Lake Catholic vs NDCL on Saturday, maybe Parkhaven will check out some volleyball action. :angel:

Auggie is correct--the Stow Regional will have three teams better than Triway. Their record is nice, but they have played a very low-level schedule. Triway is basically a slightly better than average team, while Lake Catholic and others in that regional may not have the most impressive records to the casual observer, they are much better teams. Ashland also found out that a glistening record against less than mediocre competition doesn't help you prepare for a long tournament run--they were 2 and through. And before we know it, the club season will be kicking off.

I congratulate The Titanettes :) on a solid season.

They should win their district easily but then will run into the NCL gauntlet at Stow and that will be that. Every team in the NCL Blue is still alive in the District finals plus 2018 additions Gilmour and St Joe's Academy are the favorites to win their Districts, this is big girl volleyball. I understand that Triway's league is what it is but with apologizes to Ashland & Wayndale knowing that this was going to be a good team why not schedule at least a couple top 20 level opponents OOC to get a feel for the speed that a NCL team will bring to the table in the Regionals? Ask 22-1 Hubbard what a 12-11 Lake Catholic team brought to the table in their District semi.
Auggie,
Ask Hubbard? Are you kidding me. Don't disrespect Hubbard. They played right with the Lake County All-Star team. I'll take homegrown talent any day of the week.

Auggie,
Ask Hubbard? Are you kidding me. Don't disrespect Hubbard. They played right with the Lake County All-Star team. I'll take homegrown talent any day of the week.

Cry me a river. You’ve no clue what you’re talking about. I heard the exact same thing from the Hubbard faithful in football back in the 2004 and 2006 state playoffs.

Last edited:
Nice win for Lake Catholic last night, the 1st set is so crucial and needing more that 25 to win it really made it that much sweeter. Also heard Coach Severino earned his paycheck this game as he did a good job of making adjustments to counter the big hitter from Hubbard; looks like she may be joining Witte at tOSU in a couple years too.

Round 3 of Lake Catholic vs NDCL on Saturday, maybe Parkhaven will check out some volleyball action. :angel:

Hopefully the rubber match is as good as the first 2 matches this year.

Would love to hear a parkhaven recap of a volleyball match.

Auggie,

Lake County All Star team? Mentor and Riverside are maybe more Lake County all star teams than a Lake Catholic team that is chock full of girls from traditional catholic grade school feeders with familiar Cougar names like Cvelbar in both girls and boys sports.