VOA or Cedarville?

EuclidandViren

As most people know there are a lot of other variables and factors besides time to consider.

A winner that is not pushed. A second-place runner that is gapped by 30 seconds usually shuts it down and is not pushed.

Teams not racing but just running at the district level seems like a common theme recently...

Do people/teams/parents/coaches really get excited for the district meets?

I personally believe the district meets should end. Big waste of time in my opinion.

In track, this is a reality if we went to a time qualification system for the regional meets.

Better for the athletes and the sport.

beeman

As most people know there are a lot of other variables and factors besides time to consider.

A winner that is not pushed. A second-place runner that is gapped by 30 seconds usually shuts it down and is not pushed.

Teams not racing but just running at the district level seems like a common theme recently...

I personally believe the district meets should end. Big waste of time in my opinion.

In track, this is a reality if we went to a time qualification system for the regional meets.

Are you nuts??

psycho_dad

I honestly cannot think of how that is better for the sport!

D1 in the NE has about 80 teams. I don't think a championship race of over 500 kids is good for anything.

I think track and field would be equally as big a disaster.

I think that it is advantageous for 30' shot put kids to see what 50' shot efforts look like.

I don't see how excluding kids is helpful. They need that experience to see what they need to do. It then becomes like football where schedule matters as much as anything. I was a 4:18 miler because someone else was a 4:18.5 miler. I only had to be a 4:36 miler to that point. We don't coach kids to chase times. I would hate to coach that way. We coach kids to compete.

The weather for pole vaulting is just starting to produce good heights. Our kids nearly always go a foot higher once Districts and Regionals hit.

There is a strategy of placing kids in events and getting them through the District to the Regional that would be lost. We often put kids in an event to get them the experience for next year and the year after.

mathking

D1 in the NE has about 80 teams. I don't think a championship race of over 500 kids is good for anything.

I think that it is advantageous for 30' shot put kids to see what 50' shot efforts look like.

I don't see how excluding kids is helpful. They need that experience to see what they need to do. It then becomes like football where schedule matters as much as anything. I was a 4:18 miler because someone else was a 4:18.5 miler. I only had to be a 4:36 miler to that point. We don't coach kids to chase times. I would hate to coach that way. We coach kids to compete.

The weather for pole vaulting is just starting to produce good heights. Our kids nearly always go a foot higher once Districts and Regionals hit.

There is a strategy of placing kids in events and getting them through the District to the Regional that would be lost. We often put kids in an event to get them the experience for next year and the year after.
Thank you psychodad!

beeman

T

Yes...this↑. I cannot think of one reason getting rid of the district meet would make the sport better. I can think of plenty ways it would make the sport worse.

Maybe we should just get rid of the first round or two of every high school sports tournament too while we're at it...."big waste of time".

SLS

Looking at the average times of the top 5 boys from Cedarville DII districts and DII VOA districts and comparing their times to this week at Troy , it appears that VOA is significantly faster. VOA teams averaged 32 seconds slower this week, and Cedarville DII boys averaged only 7 seconds slower. That’s 25 seconds difference. Only Waynesville had a faster top 5 average today- 11 seconds faster.

SLS

I did the same thing with DI boys and found that VOA district teams were 30 seconds slower and that Cedarville district teams were 28 seconds slower.

Mr. Slippery

I can't tell if you're criticizing teams for running rather than racing. A few lines later, you want to use a time qualification system. Isn't that somewhat contradictory?

It would seem that you want the HS system to mimic the collegiate system used for track and field. I don't like the collegiate system of qualifying to nationals by time which turns every meet into a series of glorified time trials. It makes the track season seem rather meaningless for 75% of the athletes competing. How does that improve the sport?