Video of Chicago Police Fatally Shooting 13-Year-Old Adam Toledo to Be Released Thursday

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Video showing Chicago police fatally shooting 13-year-old Adam Toledo will be released Thursday afternoon, along with other materials related to the investigation.

Chicago's Civilian Office of Police Accountability announced on Wednesday that the video would be released Thursday, two days after Adam's family was shown the footage and 17 days after the shooting itself.

He didn't have one in his hands when he was shot.

It didn’t look like it from the video, though that’s not was being reported. It’s completely possible the reports were wrong. Did they find a gun by his body, I wonder. Meaning, if the officer saw a gun in his hand moments prior he would still have reasonable cause to shoot. Of course, none of that takes away from what led up to the interaction with police. That being a boy his age with adults shooting off guns at 2:30am and the boy possibly also shooting guns just prior to the police being called. Obviously, much more info has to be divulged; but nothing will change my mind about him being where he was, with whom, his poor choices, etc.

He threw the gun off and raised his hands when the officer told him to and still got shot. He complied with what the officer said and still got shot.

Yeah, screwing around with guns at 2:30 in the morning isn't the best idea, but he's a kid doing stupid things like any normal kids do, only his environment is probably one of the most unsuitable/unsafe in America and obviously makes said stupid activities only more dangerous. It still doesn't justify him getting shot by that cop when he (and I'll say it again) complied with the cop's orders and didn't have a gun in his hand.

I know the concept of "just comply" is something that a lot of posters will live and die by, but suffice to say the kid still got killed because an officer "feared for his life" when a 13 y/o put his hands up. You cannot tell me anyone but the officer is at fault here. Just a sad situation all around.

He threw the gun off and raised his hands when the officer told him to and still got shot. He complied with what the officer said and still got shot.

Yeah, screwing around with guns at 2:30 in the morning isn't the best idea, but he's a kid doing stupid things like any normal kids do, only his environment is probably one of the most unsuitable/unsafe in America and obviously makes said stupid activities only more dangerous. It still doesn't justify him getting shot by that cop when he (and I'll say it again) complied with the cop's orders and didn't have a gun in his hand.

I know the concept of "just comply" is something that a lot of posters will live and die by, but suffice to say the kid still got killed because an officer "feared for his life" when a 13 y/o put his hands up. You cannot tell me anyone but the officer is at fault here. Just a sad situation all around.
Going to disagree about the compliance. He ran first. Then stopped with gun in hand behind his back. His body was blocking what would have been the empty hand coming forward and up from the view of the officer. In a split second decision at 2:30 in the morning in a dark alley, cop did the right thing.

How was running away from police complying with them? I doubt very seriously the officers first order when arriving on the scene was " hey kid with the gun, run down this dark alley so I can chase you into who knows what, cause we just got a report of gunfire coming from this location."

Yep..screwing around like normal kids do. Me and my homies used to go out shooting up cars at 2:30 AM all the time.

Going to disagree about the compliance. He ran first. Then stopped with gun in hand behind his back. His body was blocking what would have been the empty hand coming forward and up from the view of the officer. In a split second decision at 2:30 in the morning in a dark alley, cop did the right thing.

How was running away from police complying with them? I doubt very seriously the officers first order when arriving on the scene was " hey kid with the gun, run down this dark alley so I can chase you into who knows what, cause we just got a report of gunfire coming from this location."
There really is never a situation where the cop shouldn’t have to shoot someone with you is there?

He’s a KID. A lot of kids would run from the cops if something had happened. He dropped the gun (clearly there is no gun in either hand in the video), had both hands up, and was still killed.

There really is never a situation where the cop shouldn’t have to shoot someone with you is there?

He’s a KID. A lot of kids would run from the cops if something had happened. He dropped the gun (clearly there is no gun in either hand in the video), had both hands up, and was still killed.
Are you f'ing kidding me? I know your not, which doesn't surprise me. No, a lot of kids don't run from cops. I don't know of any And apparently you watched the carefully edited video played by MSNBC last night which made him appear to just turn around and put his hands up.

Again..mr. armchair cop. Put yourself in the cops position. You wouldn't because you don't have the balls to be a cop.

There are times the military ROE is you cannot fire until you are fired upon or the weapon is pointed at you or another troop.

I can see this being something that police departments adopt. Do not fire until the gun is pointed at you.

PLus, most people are not going to be good enough shots to hit ya anyways.

True compliance would

Actually, yes. When people comply there is no need to shoot. Read my posts on the Virginia incident. I will readily admit I seem to lean well past center on the pro police side of things. I was taught to respect authority.

Ok, alot to unpack here. First of all, we need to separate the media account we read and then put yourself in that situation. When cops come onto the scene of a call...and let's look at his...Chicago, 2:30AM...shots fired....you're not just going to go whistling up to see what's going on with no premeditation, that's be HUMAN, not a cop. Secondly, you have no idea how old the people there are?? Why a 13 year old is out at 2:30am, with or without a gun is another story. At 2:30am, it's dark, there's alot going on.

I really don't know what many of the dissenters think the cops should do in these situations?? We are heading towards a place where it's like Portland and the police do nothing and let violence happen and the cities be torn down.

Personally, I will support the actions of Police. They have been in the field for a specific time, they have been trained and it works about 98% of the time. Please look into the statistics folks. The only reason many people think that only blacks are shot by the police is that's the only shootings that are reported by the national media. We have to understand that the national media is in the ENTERTAINMENT business. This means if they don't get people to turn on their channel, they don't have jobs. More whites are shot by police than blacks nationally. That seems preposterous but it's true.
We are living in times when very few people follow up on things. They just take what is on national TV and social media as gospel.

With nearly all these shootings of blacks the last few years, what has been a common thread? The person has had issues with the police in the past, or they are resisting arrest, trying to get away, not complying. These are not solid citizens who are getting shot. We hire police to keep order in our cities and towns. I think for some they only feel the police should shoot when they are directly being shot at. That's simply not reality.

There are times the military ROE is you cannot fire until you are fired upon or the weapon is pointed at you or another troop.

I can see this being something that police departments adopt. Do not fire until the gun is pointed at you.

Are you willing to be shot at and "hope" they are a bad shot??

True compliance would

Actually, yes. When people comply there is no need to shoot. Read my posts on the Virginia incident. I will readily admit I seem to lean well past center on the pro police side of things. I was taught to respect authority.
I'm with you Dfan, why can't people just comply with an officers simple request? In any of these recent cases, you have people who are resisting arrest and/ or trying to flee? I know it's not a laughing matter, but google the comedian Chris Rock (who is black) and short skit "How not to get your a** kicked by the police". It's hilarious, but 1000% true!!!

We've evolved - in a negative way - to simple common courtesy. Just do what the police says, you'll have your day in court.

Yeah but from the cop’s perspective, he didn’t see the kid throw the gun away. He thinks the kid is still armed when he turns around all of the sudden. This is the s**t cops have to deal with. And don’t tell me a 13 yr old with a gun isn’t a threat, you had 2 girls the same age kill that Uber eats driver in DC.

Ok, alot to unpack here. First of all, we need to separate the media account we read and then put yourself in that situation. When cops come onto the scene of a call...and let's look at his...Chicago, 2:30AM...shots fired....you're not just going to go whistling up to see what's going on with no premeditation, that's be HUMAN, not a cop. Secondly, you have no idea how old the people there are?? Why a 13 year old is out at 2:30am, with or without a gun is another story. At 2:30am, it's dark, there's alot going on.

I really don't know what many of the dissenters think the cops should do in these situations?? We are heading towards a place where it's like Portland and the police do nothing and let violence happen and the cities be torn down.

Personally, I will support the actions of Police. They have been in the field for a specific time, they have been trained and it works about 98% of the time. Please look into the statistics folks. The only reason many people think that only blacks are shot by the police is that's the only shootings that are reported by the national media. We have to understand that the national media is in the ENTERTAINMENT business. This means if they don't get people to turn on their channel, they don't have jobs. More whites are shot by police than blacks nationally. That seems preposterous but it's true.
We are living in times when very few people follow up on things. They just take what is on national TV and social media as gospel.

With nearly all these shootings of blacks the last few years, what has been a common thread? The person has had issues with the police in the past, or they are resisting arrest, trying to get away, not complying. These are not solid citizens who are getting shot. We hire police to keep order in our cities and towns. I think for some they only feel the police should shoot when they are directly being shot at. That's simply not reality.
Thank you.

Kids with guns kill people all the time, especially in Chicago. And it’s only clear he didn’t have a gun when you slow the video down. Imagine having to make that decision in a split second if you’re a cop. Sorry, this is bogus. It’s unfortunate it happened but this is not on the cop.

What a dumb take. Kid runs from the police with a gun in his hand, drops the gun in a dark alley with his back to the cop and whirls around bringing his arm up...any reasonable person percieves a threat. Again the fault lies with the kid running around at night with a gun.

And this was no kid doing what normal kids do, he was no innocent angel, he had a gang name.

Which is idiotic.

"Hey Joe Smith policeman just take the chance the suspect wont be able to hit you (or any bystanders)."

Good luck with recruiting.

I'm with you Dfan, why can't people just comply with an officers simple request? In any of these recent cases, you have people who are resisting arrest and/ or trying to flee? I know it's not a laughing matter, but google the comedian Chris Rock (who is black) and short skit "How not to get your a** kicked by the police". It's hilarious, but 1000% true!!!

We've evolved - in a negative way - to simple common courtesy. Just do what the police says, you'll have your day in court.
It is not that simple. It was easy for you because you were taught that police were your friend and you had zero personal experiences that conflicted with that. There is a class of citizens who do not trust police because regardless of what guys like you say about police. Their personal experience and interactions supersede anything you have to say. It's kind of like saying the vaccine is safe and everybody should take it. You should not be surprised when somebody says no way because their daughter dies of a blood clot from it.

• Haha
Reactions: y2h
Do police still train with those cardboard sigs that pop up with mugger holding gun, man holding phone, lady holding purse, where they have split second to decide? Or is that just the movies? We somehow have to improve training. In the old days it also seems proper training directed the officer to engage from a cover position, allowing him/her more than a split second to assess the threat and/or deescalate. Now they seem more eager to engage. Often emptying clip, or multiple, indiscriminately. I am remembering the one in Cleveland where 13 police fired 140 rounds at 2 unarmed motorists. Really?

Seems we've gone a tad militaristic, shoot first ask questions later. I think we should rethink that. Ditto the incredible notion that a society utterly saturated with guns is a safer society.

Do police still train with those cardboard sigs that pop up with mugger holding gun, man holding phone, lady holding purse, where they have split second to decide? Or is that just the movies? We somehow have to improve training. In the old days it also seems proper training directed the officer to engage from a cover position, allowing him/her more than a split second to assess the threat and/or deescalate. Now they seem more eager to engage. Often emptying clip, or multiple, indiscriminately. I am remembering the one in Cleveland where 13 police fired 140 rounds at 2 unarmed motorists. Really?

Seems we've gone a tad militaristic, shoot first ask questions later. I think we should rethink that. Ditto the incredible notion that a society utterly saturated with guns is a safer society.
No amount of training could prepare a person for that situation. I bet it is a 50/50 proposition that another officer does something different. That said, your last point is the core issue. Shooting people is core to our culture. We even have toddlers shooting other toddlers. Mass shootings, cop killings, unarmed kids getting shot, you name it....It is who we are.