VASJ vs St. Thomas - 1/24/17

Bball216

The Knights traveled to VASJ for the two teams first meeting since the Vikings beat STA in the Canton D3 regional final. This was a good measuring stick for the two squads to see what each other lost or gained in the offseason. I know Viking Village was wondering how good STA would be after losing their head coach, Jacob Paul and a slew of supporting players. VASJ had to replace All Ohio 1st teamer Sherman Dean and a bunch of leadership.

It did not take long for the Knight faithful to start shaking their heads thinking Joe's is loaded again. VASJ played a bit sloppy in the first half and STA (like always) kept it close with their 3pt shooting. The Vikings were up 7 at the half. The second half saw VASJ make several adjustments on both sides of the floor. The Knights struggled with the full court press VASJ has used all season and had absolutely nobody on the team that could stop Alonzo Gaffney. The sophomore scored 26, dominated the boards and put on a dunking exhibit. The Vikings cruised to a solid win 77-57. I'm sure STA cannot wait to get the Vikings on the court at their place but after what I saw tonight it should not matter. VASJ is as solid a D3 squad as you will find. The Vikes can score inside, shoot the 3 and as always play tough pressing D.

Like always both teams played hard and played the game the right way. I know Viking Village has incredible respect for STA - even without Coach Hack. The Knights always get the Vikes best effort. STA was better than I thought they would be but as of right now VASJ appears to be on a different level.

It was good to see Gaffney playing loose and free. That was the Alonzo many have been waiting for. He is starting to show the ability to dominate on both ends of the floor. I only expect him to get better.

Best game i've seen from Gaffney yet

Loved the ball fake where he showed it and pulled it back driving to the hole.Reminded me of and old time Pistol Pete Maravich NBA move.Somebody is teaching him well:)

STA played well almost the entire first half, but that run before half and then right after half by VASJ killed them. STA would have to play almost perfect to beat them, although not letting their best shooter (5) get wide open looks would go a long way. Having said all that, when Gaffney is engaged and active it doesn't matter cause STA has no one to guard him. It was a competitive game and a little closer than final margin indicates.

I agree the game was pretty close until Gaffney took over. I think VASJ will do a better job at closing out on the perimeter to take away the STA 3pt shooting. With that being said I'm not sure STA could do anything to slow down McGarry and Gaffney.