VASJ Vikings Football 2019

These were league games...contracts get signed 2 years in advance...VASJ didn't go out and pick these opponents.

It can be difficult when scheduling games for smaller schools because a lot can change in 2 years. We had a class just graduate that went 1-19 as freshman and sophomores finish with 7-3, 7-4 records as JR and SR. It was a talented class but most of the kids had to play early and got taken to the wood shed. Had a school scheduled us after the 1-19 run they thought they had a cream puff coming in. It really is a crap shoot when you schedule a Waterloo, CVCA or Aquinas.

Weather will be an issue tonight with thunderstorms expected starting around 6 tonight. Any updates regarding weather delays and possible postponement will be posted her and check @VikingAD on twitter for updates

Weather is looking a bit more promising according to the forecast however there is still a risk of storms at any point during the game

After a lengthy weather delay and fighting Mother Nature, VASJ and Waterloo manages to finish the game with VASJ (referring to school name since both schools are called the Vikings) blanks Waterloo 17-0 to start the year 2-1 and are above .500 for the first time since the 2015 season. VASJ travels to Warrensville Hts to face the speedy and athletic Tigers in Warrensville next Friday night. Hopefully no weather delays.

Here is the unofficial Region 18 standings as of tonight. Vikings received no help so far and won’t be for a while which hurts any playoff chances. 9-1 could get you in but even 8-2 may not be enough.

Attachments

• 52CAE1F0-A77D-4D56-9BCB-5394A45573B4.jpeg
    52CAE1F0-A77D-4D56-9BCB-5394A45573B4.jpeg
    555.4 KB · Views: 15
FINAL

VASJ 21
Warrensville 12

VASJ beats Warrensville to win their 3rd straight win on the year after falling to CVCA in the opener. That 28-25 loss to CVCA is looking a heck of a lot better as they are routing 2-1 Wooster Triway. Vikings return home to take on Port Clinton for their first Saturday night game at Sparky D.

FINAL

VASJ 21
Warrensville 12

VASJ beats Warrensville to win their 3rd straight win on the year after falling to CVCA in the opener. That 28-25 loss to CVCA is looking a heck of a lot better as they are routing 2-1 Wooster Triway. Vikings return home to take on Port Clinton for their first Saturday night game at Sparky D.
Yes Yes Yes.Keep it going Vikes!!!! Booster dogs for all my friends!??

Also to note, VASJ is off to their best 4 game start since 2014 at 3-1 when the 2014 team started 4-0. That team qualified for the 2014 Playoffs as a 6 seed. However the Vikings are not getting any help at all. As all wins came against winless teams.

VASJ is getting some help from Waterloo as they lead Sebring McKinley 35-6 at the half
VASJ hasn’t played anybody yet. Does anyone really think this schedule will get them playoff ready? Gotta go play tougher teams, call Holy Name, E.C. Or Kirtland for non league games.

Schedules are made a few years in advance. It's hard to predict who will be good and who will be loaded at the smaller school level. I support CVCA and we played VASJ week 1 and they were very competitive with us. We are 3-1 and our only loss was 14-7 to undefeated Aurora. We have beaten 3-1 VASJ, 3-1 Revere and 2-2 Triway. We played Crestwood week 1 the past two years and they were pretty bad. This year they are 4-0 so far. I don't think you can really blame the schedule, VASJ has been down the last few years and probably scheduled accordingly. They may go 8-2 and not qualify for the playoffs but 8-2 is something to build off of in the new coaches first season.

VASJ hasn’t played anybody yet. Does anyone really think this schedule will get them playoff ready? Gotta go play tougher teams, call Holy Name, E.C. Or Kirtland for non league games.

Played EC Week 2 the past 3 seasons, played Kirtland from 2014 up until 2017, played Holy Name every year until they left and sticking with west side schools. The schedule was made I want to say in the winter before the changes and was set.
CVCA was a quality opponent, can’t help with Collinwood as left looking for a week 2 opponent, Waterloo and Port Clinton are down, CCC you have to play, JFK is always a tough opponent, Gilmour depends on the year, Lutheran East is having a solid year and is 6th in the region, University School is always a tough team to play. The front load is down yes, however they are playing and beating teams they are supposed to

So far next year VASJ plays CVCA Week 1, Waterloo Week 3, Port Clinton Week 5, and Padua towards the end of the year via Arbiter Live

Schedules are made a few years in advance. It's hard to predict who will be good and who will be loaded at the smaller school level. I support CVCA and we played VASJ week 1 and they were very competitive with us. We are 3-1 and our only loss was 14-7 to undefeated Aurora. We have beaten 3-1 VASJ, 3-1 Revere and 2-2 Triway. We played Crestwood week 1 the past two years and they were pretty bad. This year they are 4-0 so far. I don't think you can really blame the schedule, VASJ has been down the last few years and probably scheduled accordingly. They may go 8-2 and not qualify for the playoffs but 8-2 is something to build off of in the new coaches first season.

to add on, playing a tougher schedule puts at a disadvantage if you lose two or three games as it’s already tough to qualify even at an 8-2 record or 7-3. I agree, this season is more of a confidence/culture builder for the next season.

Played EC Week 2 the past 3 seasons, played Kirtland from 2014 up until 2017, played Holy Name every year until they left and sticking with west side schools. The schedule was made I want to say in the winter before the changes and was set.
CVCA was a quality opponent, can’t help with Collinwood as left looking for a week 2 opponent, Waterloo and Port Clinton are down, CCC you have to play, JFK is always a tough opponent, Gilmour depends on the year, Lutheran East is having a solid year and is 6th in the region, University School is always a tough team to play. The front load is down yes, however they are playing and beating teams they are supposed to
I had heard VASJ refuses to play Lake, NDCL and Kirtland. These are three very short trips and seemingly good gate games. Yet they refuse to do it. Doesn’t make sense...

The Vikes have no JV team and are trying to get numbers up within the football program.Lake,NDCL are on another level.Kirtland blew them out. Those games would end badly.Maybe in a few years.

I had heard VASJ refuses to play Lake, NDCL and Kirtland. These are three very short trips and seemingly good gate games. Yet they refuse to do it. Doesn’t make sense...
Regarding that issue, Lake and NDCL have more numbers then we do and everyone has to play both sides of the ball. We probably have mid 30’s to 40 kids in the program total all while we may have 15 kids tops playing reserve/JV football. While the Lakes and the Latins have 50 kids for varsity and 30 kids for JV/Reserve is a huge disadvantage. Storey never scheduled those games because he knew his teams would get killed. That’s why the Euclid game back in 2014 was one year deal because he knew that 2014 could compete with Euclid. If they played this year. Running clock by the end of the 1st quarter. It’s more of being realistic. And Kirtland every year we played them from 14-17 it was a curb stomping. With Elvis in the building, I have already seen some improvements and new form of energy from the kids and he was a big name that the school knew he could draw kids in to play football. (Legally obviously) I noticed with Sowers team (again no disrespect towards him) they played flat had no energy, Couldn’t even beat Warrensville or Shaw which are usually winnable games. Having 30 kids on the roster lasted and dropping like flies. It was an ugly trend that was gonna continue and I cut him some slack because of the youth and inexperience on those two teams.

Not to mention they had a one game deal last year to play Cuyahoga Hts to replace Kirtland on the schedule and that went about as expected for us.

Here is the unofficial week 4 standings in Region 18. VASJ sits at 12th in the region being .625 back of #8 Ostego.
According to Fantastic 50, VASJ has a 16% chance at the playoffs with a 1% chance of a 1st round home game if they go 8-2 on the year and a 25% chance with a win over Port Clinton and if they lose, the odds drop to 6%.
6420B778-C3B0-41FE-B686-0C4749E5F93D.jpeg

In the Vikings push for a postseason birth which would be the first since 2014, here is who you’d want to pull for with the teams ahead of VASJ who currently sits 12th in the Region and who to pull for regarding Level 2 points:

What VASJ has to do:
VASJ (3-1) over Port Clinton (1-3)

What has to happen to teams ahead
Independence (3-1) over Beachwood (3-1) (toss up)

Jonathan Adler (4-0) over North Union (2-2) (good chance)

Eastwood (4-0) over Otsego (3-1) *Eastwood is #1 in R18 (very likely)

Padua (1-3) over Elyria Catholic (2-2) (toss up)

Youngstown East (3-1) over Lutheran East (3-1) (toss up) LE 22-Y’Town East 20 3OT Final

Stryker (0-4) over Northwood (4-0) (unlikely)

Who to pull for L2 points:
Collinwood over East Tech (toss up)

Waterloo over Springfield (unlikely)

Warrensville Hts over Chaney (unlikely)

Last edited:
Quick update on the Y’Town East vs Lutheran East
They are all tied up at 14 going into 3OT however could end in a tie if game is called due to darkness. (No Lights at LE)

*Update Lutheran East defeats Y’Town East 22-20 in 3OT. The good news is that VASJ plays LE in a couple weeks and will get their shot against them. Other scores will be posted later tonight.

Last edited:
VASJ REGION 18 SCOREBOARD WATCH

Eastwood vs Ostego: Eastwood leads 28-0 (this helps VASJ in the rankings)

Lutheran East defeated Youngstown East 22-20 in 3OT (this doesn’t help VASJ in the rankings)

Stryker vs Northwood PPD until tomorrow

Padua defeats Elyria Catholic 31-27 Final (This helps VASJ in the standings)

Adler vs North Union 42-8 Final (This helps VASJ in the rankings)

Beachwood leads Independence 35-3 (This doesn’t help VASJ in the standings)

Last edited:
VASJ L2 POINTS SCOREBOARD WATCH:

Waterloo trails Springfield 37-0 at the half (was an hour ago, no updates as of late)

Warrensville and Chaney are tied at 8 at the half (was an hour ago, no updates as of late)

No updates regarding Collinwood vs East Tech

Halftime
Port Clinton 28
VASJ 14

PC’s size and running game making a difference. Vikes get the ball to start the 2nd half