VASJ Vikings Football 2019

I agree about the seating being right on top of the field.But Euclid needs to fix the Restroom/concession issues with the new field.How is the new H.S. coming along? Have not been by there in a while.Nice to see the Tech building transformed into a workout facility.Used to have auto shop and electronics class out there.Any info on the uniform? The helmets are sweet.Not much for the two tone look in general,but those are real nice.Always loved the white with red horns/mask.Tradition.

Last edited:
I agree about the seating being right on top of the field.But Euclid needs to fix the Restroom/concession issues with the new field.How is the new H.S. coming along? Have not been by there in a while.Nice to see the Tech building transformed into a workout facility.Used to have auto shop and electronics class out there.Any info on the uniform? The helmets are sweet.Not much for the two tone look in general,but those are real nice.Always loved the white with red horns/mask.Tradition.

No doubt about it, my guess is once the old HS is demolished except for where the Doc is at and the pools, I believe they are putting concessions and restrooms underneath the press box. Uniforms will be the same and may be going more mix and matching instead of monochrome. Helmets look real sharp and although I’m more of a traditionalist I love the blue fading to white on the back with the chrome decals. The school is coming along and is huge. Kind of odd seeing the current HS hidden behind the skeleton of the new school. But coming along nicely so far. Are you coming to a few Joes football games this year?

Today marks the first walk through of the season and the tradition of handing out the Viking horns for the players that have earned them for their helmets. Kickoff slated at 7pm for the Big Blue Wrecking Crew at Sparky DiBiasio Stadium tomorrow night #BeatRoyals

Here is the 2019 graphic of the helmet via Ohio HS Helmets

Attachments

• 538B9176-A662-4ED8-ABD0-2AAA3BECB089.png
    538B9176-A662-4ED8-ABD0-2AAA3BECB089.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 24
It is game day for the Vikings to open up the 2019 season as they take on the CVCA Royals tonight at Sparky DiBiasio Stadium. VASJ has lost every opener dating back to 2015 when VASJ knocked off Genoa Area in Genoa. Joes looks to end that streak and start the Elvis Grbac era 1-0. Also for CVCA fans coming to Euclid tonight, be sure to grab a booster dog at the concession stand. Worth the $3.50 for the hot dog.

For updates, I’ll be posting in this thread. Go Vikes!

VASJ starts the Grbac era 0-1 after a hard fought defeat 28-25. Despite the loss, there were a lot of plus’s, sophomore Joey Webb had a great running game today as well as a huge pick 6 to get the Vikings on the board and QB Eisman looked good despite the one red zone interception with a couple of TD passes and a big run. The Vikes held their own despite the much bigger CVCA line in a game that could of easily been a running clock game and never gave up after the slow 14-0 start. defense still has a lot of work but they do lack size that will cause issues. Another plus was there were only 4 flags the entire game, huge difference in years past where we would see 100’s of flags usually on the Vikings. Next week they are at Collinwood with 7pm Friday night kick off at The Collinwood Athletic Complex off of St.Clair.

VASJ starts the Grbac era 0-1 after a hard fought defeat 28-25. Despite the loss, there were a lot of plus’s, sophomore Joey Webb had a great running game today as well as a huge pick 6 to get the Vikings on the board and QB Eisman looked good despite the one red zone interception with a couple of TD passes and a big run. The Vikes held their own despite the much bigger CVCA line in a game that could of easily been a running clock game and never gave up after the slow 14-0 start. defense still has a lot of work but they do lack size that will cause issues. Another plus was there were only 4 flags the entire game, huge difference in years past where we would see 100’s of flags usually on the Vikings. Next week they are at Collinwood with 7pm Friday night kick off at The Collinwood Athletic Complex off of St.Clair.

Both teams left everything they had on the field. It was a clean game with very few penalties. Those picks cost CVCA big. If CVCA just keep running the ball it may have been over in the first half. Give the Vikes credit, they played with pride and fought hard until the end. I think you have a playoff team there.

Week 2 brings the battle of North and South Collinwood upon us, hosted at the Collinwood Athletic Complex off of 152nd as the Vikings take on the Railroaders. A few things to note, Collinwood would qualify as D-Iv points despite having their OHSAA membership suspended. With Collinwood not being an OHSAA member won’t hurt for playoff points. VASJ looks to win their first game under the Grbac era and should, keyword “should” beat Collinwood. I’ll post updates as updates come in as I won’t be at the game Friday night.

UPDATE:
VASJ 41
Collinwood 0
Final

VASJ responds in a dominant performance over the Railroaders. Not many points will come out of it with Collinwood not expected to win many games this year. Next Friday night, the Vikes are back at Sparky as they take on the Waterloo Vikings in Week 3. Kickoff at 7pm

Here is a peak at Region 18 Playoff standings as of last night. VASJ sits T-16 with the top teams sitting at 2-0. I don’t expect playoffs this year in a tough region but I will post twice on the weekends, once Friday night and again Saturday. Most played last night.
12EA00C0-B31C-48CE-9C09-5B4EE61136C8.jpeg

Here is a blast from the past. This video is the entire broadcast of the 2003 Division IV State Semi’s between VASJ going up against the Bellaire Big Reds at Fawcett Stadium in Canton. Here is the footage from that game: (
)
VASJ, lead by then Head Coach and former Norte Dame DB Tom Schoen, went on to win 21-14 to advance to their first state title since 1989 but ultimately fell to MAC powerhouse Versailles 26-0 in the Finals at a very cold Paul Brown Tiger Stadium. A notable player for VASJ was WR and a future Ohio State hoops standout David Lighty, as he played a key roll in the deep playoff run and was once considered a top WR prospect in the state at the time. Lighty went on to focus only on basketball from his JR year on which saw him lead VASJ to a state runner up finish in hoops in 2006.
After seeing the video, I put together the results from that year to reflect on that memorable season. On that note, here is the playoff road the Vikes took during that memorable season as VASJ finished 6-4 during the season and needed a win against Madison in Week 10 to make it into the postseason and doing so by qualifying as the 6th seed in the D-IV Region 13 playoffs and made a huge run including upsetting state title favorite Cardinal Mooney in Youngstown during the 1st round but falling to Versailles in the State Title game to finish as Runner Ups and 10-5 on the year. That was the last deep run in the state playoffs made as recent appearances resulted in 1 and dones:

2003 VASJ Football retrospective (10-5)
————————————————————-
Week 1 vs. *Bellevue L 20-40 @ Euclid
Week 2 vs. *NDCL L 14-22 OT @ Euclid
Week 3 vs. Warrensville Hts. W 35-8 @ Euclid
Week 4 vs. Euclid W 28-23 @ Euclid “Battle for the Ax”
Week 5 @ Willoughby South W 17-7 @ South
Week 6 vs. *University School L 0-6 @ Euclid
Week 7 vs. St.Thomas Aquinas W 45-7 @ Euclid
Week 8 vs. STVM W 47-13 @ Euclid
Week 9 vs. **Benedictine L 10-30 @ Euclid
Week 10 @ Madison W 28-14 @ Madison
—————————————————————-
*=Playoff Qualifier **=OHSAA D-III State Champ
--OHSAA D-IV Playoffs—
@ Mooney W 26-21 @ Youngstown State
vs. Waynedale W 22-17 @ Barberton
vs. Black River W 24-14 @ Brunswick
vs. Bellaire W 21-14 @ Canton McKinley
vs. Versailles L 0-26 @ Massillon

Last edited:
It appears that former head coach Bill Sowers or someone from his staff during his tenure pulled this stunt on the football team’s Facebook page. Classless!
805EEE6E-72FB-4C03-A208-2B6E5F7F71BD.jpeg

Quarter by Quarter updates will be posted here in this thread:

Quarter by Quarter updates will be posted here in this thread:
Wow the Vikings are really playing a power house schedule this year. What a joke.

It appears that former head coach Bill Sowers or someone from his staff during his tenure pulled this stunt on the football team’s Facebook page. Classless!View attachment 3587
What’s classless is telling a guy he has 3-5 years to rebuild a depleted program and then pulling the rug out from under him in 2 years. What is even more classless is getting rid of a guy in April after he’s already put five months of conditioning and weight training into his athletes. What is even more classless is blind siding him that he’s fired and doing it late in the spring so that he can’t pursue another head coaching job. That’s classless!!!!

It appears that former head coach Bill Sowers or someone from his staff during his tenure pulled this stunt on the football team’s Facebook page. Classless!View attachment 3587

How do you know it was Bill Sowers? Pretty bold statement. Sowers was crapped on in April. So you’re saying 5 months later he decided to log into Joe’s Facebook account and post an open house for Lake Catholic? Why would he do that? Sowers coaches at Harvey.

What I do find funny is the stupidity in the communications department at VASJ that they didn’t change the password after he was fired.

You got bball saying some ridiculous BS that Eller or Frazier is transferring on the basketball forum. Now you here blaming Sowers for some BS on their Facebook page. What’s up with you guys?

Good luck with Elvis. See you week 8 next year.

How do you know it was Bill Sowers? Pretty bold statement. Sowers was crapped on in April. So you’re saying 5 months later he decided to log into Joe’s Facebook account and post an open house for Lake Catholic? Why would he do that? Sowers coaches at Harvey.

What I do find funny is the stupidity in the communications department at VASJ that they didn’t change the password after he was fired.

You got bball saying some ridiculous BS that Eller or Frazier is transferring on the basketball forum. Now you here blaming Sowers for some BS on their Facebook page. What’s up with you guys?

Good luck with Elvis. See you week 8 next year.

How I know that is because I used to run the social media pages before Sowers took over and gave the AD at the time Nate Zavorek the passwords. The new Facebook page made was created by Sowers as the old one was deleted. I didn’t exactly accuse Sowers directly, I said “It appears former HC Bill Sowers or someone from his staff” Either way it was petty, and yes I do feel it was wrong how things were handled and should of been done sooner if they wanted to part ways and go a different direction.

Wow the Vikings are really playing a power house schedule this year. What a joke.

Hate to burst your bubble, but that schedule was made months in advanced way before Grbac came in. Aquinas and Trinity leaves you’re left scrambling for another two opponents with mutual openings.

What’s classless is telling a guy he has 3-5 years to rebuild a depleted program and then pulling the rug out from under him in 2 years. What is even more classless is getting rid of a guy in April after he’s already put five months of conditioning and weight training into his athletes. What is even more classless is blind siding him that he’s fired and doing it late in the spring so that he can’t pursue another head coaching job. That’s classless!!!!

I’ve always said from when that all went down is that it was wrong how Sowers was let go and should of been handled differently. Usually school contracts are year to year and are subject to non renewals. I saw it first hand when a relative of mine worked at the school. It sucks but it is the truth, usually people don’t find out until the spring if they’re being renewed or not. It sucks yes but it’s the reality of it.

Hate to burst your bubble, but that schedule was made months in advanced way before Grbac came in. Aquinas and Trinity leaves you’re left scrambling for another two opponents with mutual openings.
These were league games...contracts get signed 2 years in advance...VASJ didn't go out and pick these opponents.