VASJ Vikings Football 2019

Old coach got screwed over plain and simple. A Christian school should not have acted in the way that they did. Elvis May turn out to be a great coach but fact is Bowers got screwed over. Wonder if they’ll pay him for the five months he worked on strength and conditioning workouts. I doubt it!!!!!

Old coach got screwed over plain and simple. A Christian school should not have acted in the way that they did. Elvis May turn out to be a great coach but fact is Bowers got screwed over. Wonder if they’ll pay him for the five months he worked on strength and conditioning workouts. I doubt it!!!!!

He did not get screwed over. If you were JOES then who would you rather have coaching your team?

Didn’t let him know before April. Never gave him a chance to pursue new job. Also made him do conditioning and recruitment for a team he will not coach. Never paid him for his work in last four months. Told him he had five years to rebuilt a run down program, gave him two instead. Is that how a Christian school operates. Bad look VASJ!!!!

You are correct, it’s Sowers.

I don’t think VASJ should refer to its catholic identity anymore. Clearly these actions were not consistent with catholic values. Seriously need to look at approach.

You are correct, it’s Sowers.

I don’t think VASJ should refer to its catholic identity anymore. Clearly these actions were not consistent with catholic values. Seriously need to look at approach.

You are outside of your mind. You either win or you go home. It is that simple. You do not get a 5 year, you can do no wrong clause in your agreement. Does it sting the former head coach? I am certain that it does. He is a man. He will pull himself up by his jockstrap and move on to another job if he so desires.

Catholic values have taken a much greater hit than some football job. Sowers will be fine. JOES (smile when you say that) is on the rise in many areas of the school, but we are not there yet. L(F)ake Catholic is in decline. It could be time for the moving trucks.

You are outside of your mind. You either win or you go home. It is that simple. You do not get a 5 year, you can do no wrong clause in your agreement. Does it sting the former head coach? I am certain that it does. He is a man. He will pull himself up by his jockstrap and move on to another job if he so desires.

Catholic values have taken a much greater hit than some football job. Sowers will be fine. JOES (smile when you say that) is on the rise in many areas of the school, but we are not there yet. L(F)ake Catholic is in decline. It could be time for the moving trucks.

To clarify regarding Sowers, Gibbons brought him back to Lake as an assistant coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is an updated football schedule for 2019 with correct times via VASJ.com

8/9 S1 Scrimmage @ Twinsburg @ Twinsburg Tiger Stadium 7pm

8/23 S2 Jamboree vs Tusky Valley @ Don Shula Stadium (JCU, University Hts.) 7pm

8/30 Week 1 vs CVCA @ Sparky DiBiasio/Euclid Community Stadium Complex 7pm

9/6 Week 2 @ Collinwood @ Collinwood Railroader Stadium 7pm

9/13 Week 3 vs Waterloo @ Sparky DiBisio/Euclid Community Stadium Complex 7pm

9/20 Week 4 @ Warrensville Hts @ Warrensville Hts Tiger Stadium 7pm

9/28 Week 5 vs Port Clinton @ Sparky DiBiasio/Euclid Community Stadium Complex 7pm

10/5 Week 6 @ Cleveland Central Catholic @ Stefanski Field 1pm/2pm (NCL Game)

10/11 Week 7 @ Lutheran East @ LE Falcon Stadium 4pm

10/19 Week 8 vs University School @ Sparky DiBiasio/Euclid Community Stadium Complex 7pm

10/26 Week 9 @ Gilmour Academy @ Weber Stadium 2pm (NCL Game)

11/2 Week 10 vs Warren JFK @ Sparky DiBiasio/Euclid Community Stadium Complex 7pm (NCL Game) (Senior Day) (1989 St.Joseph Football State Champs 30th anniversary reunion)

11/8-11/9 Week 11 OHSAA State Playoffs TBA

Last edited:
Many alums may remember the auto shop and wood shop located in the Tech Building behind the school. They are converting the two spaces into a new weight room and training area. It’s a shame the school got rid of the autos and woods class when longtime shop teacher Chuck Martinko “Tinks” retired but a great step to improving the athletic facilities at the school as the existing weight room was in such a small space.
c0f040b8b2d388c1f47d5141be500c8b.jpg

This is the first time in a while I will make it to a game. I hoping that there will be some new excitement with the team. Hopefully going in the right direction!

Good Luck all

Numbers are in for Divisional alignment. VASJ remains in D-V Region 17 with their CB number being only 32 bringing their adjusted #’s to 202 from the actual being 170.

However onto the bad news if the Vikes were to make the playoffs, expected to be in the same region as VASJ, D-6 state champion and local powerhouse Kirtland has been bumped to D5 and is slated as a heavy favorite to win Region 17.

The schedule has been updated once again now with the correct times instead of every Home game being slated at 1 or 2pm via vasjvikings.com

Week 1 vs CVCA 8/30 7pm
Week 2 @ Collinwood 9/6 7pm
Week 3 vs Waterloo 9/13 7pm
Week 4 @ Warrensville Hts 9/20 7pm
Week 5 vs Port Clinton 9/28 7pm
Week 6 @ CCC 10/5 1pm
Week 7 @ Lutheran East 10/11 4pm
Week 8 vs University School 10/19 7pm
Week 9 @ Gilmour Academy 10/26 2pm
Week 10 vs Warren JFK 11/2 7pm

Week 10 at home vs Warren JFK will also be Senior Night and the 30th anniversary of the 1989 State Championship team. And from the sounds of it, there is an attempt by one of the former band members who is asking alumni to play in the alumni band for all home football and basketball games this upcoming season as well.

2 a days are well underway, anyone who has seen the team practice, how are the numbers this year and how are they looking based on what little that we know currently?

Via VASJ Football on Twitter, the jamboree vs Tusky Valley has been moved to Euclid High from JCU. The date is still this Friday at 8pm. The cheerleaders twitter page chimed in saying the game will be played at Euclid Community Stadium.

For the first time that I can recall, VASJ is offering Alumni passes that get you into every home game for all paid admission sports such as football, basketball, volleyball for the 2019-20. The price is $60 and is only for St.Joes, VA, and VASJ alums. There is a $120 Alumni pass to get your entire family into home games as well. I included the link to the page below.

A huge dilemma will be occurring for the 2020 football season. It was announced that the NCL will disban for football only after Padua announced they were leaving the NCL. The remaining schools will be staying intact for the rest of the sports and will be going to a single division format. That will mean VASJ and the remaining schools will become independents. It won’t be surprising if VASJ will continue to schedule CCC and Gilmour Academy for seasons to come as well as possibly Warren JFK. Possible fillers in the future could be several CVC schools like Cardinal, Berkshire, Wickliffe, Independence, Brooklyn, and if they want to toughen the schedule up a bit more Kirtland or Cuyahoga Hts could return onto the schedule in the future. Also ideal opponents will likely still be Lutheran East, University School, Warrensville Hts, and CVCA as well. It will be an interesting sight to see so who knows how Elvis will schedule in the future.

An independent schedule is a nightmare to put together, especially as a private school. I haven't talked to anyone in the know since the news broke but this has been anticipated at JFK for a while now. We have been working on a couple of contingencies as far as forming a new league. I personally liked the NCL. It provided us much better competition than we would face than if we were in a league down here. I wouldn't mind seeing a new league form with us, VASJ, possibly Gilmour and bring back Aquinas. I know Valley Christian and Liberty down here may be interested possibly a couple more schools as well.

An independent schedule is a nightmare to put together, especially as a private school. I haven't talked to anyone in the know since the news broke but this has been anticipated at JFK for a while now. We have been working on a couple of contingencies as far as forming a new league. I personally liked the NCL. It provided us much better competition than we would face than if we were in a league down here. I wouldn't mind seeing a new league form with us, VASJ, possibly Gilmour and bring back Aquinas. I know Valley Christian and Liberty down here may be interested possibly a couple more schools as well.

It’s probably gonna be tough to find a new league for all the schools just for football, but I have seen crazier scenarios happen before. It will be interesting for sure but I wouldn’t be shocked if for the time being the 4 remaining NCL teams all have a deal to schedule each other until everyone finds a new football league. So we shall see. Unfortunately the league decided to disband as I understand why with the turnover every year with Padua being the final straw.

Tonight is the final scrimmage going up against Tusky Valley as the Vikings will take the field at Euclid Stadium for the very first time instead of the long time home Sparky DiBiasio Stadium. Only a one time deal to play in the new stadium.

The Vikings had a similar scrimmage set up with Harvey a couple years ago except they played a half of football with no kick returns and modified rules then JV’s playing a 10 play series format to fill the rest of the scrimmage up.

This will be a good point to see how the Vikings could fare for the upcoming season.

Last edited:
Next week the game vs CVCA will be over at Sparky DiBiasio Stadium next Friday night at 7pm and will honor the 65 and 69 football teams if I’ve heard correctly.

Last edited:
So far the Vikings are looking solid, the line needs some work but a big difference in the QB play so far compared to last season.

A couple of takeaways from tonight’s jamboree win 20-0 over Tusky Valley.

1. The QB out there #12 looked pretty good and has decent size and ran the offense very well.

2. I was expecting a million penalties on the Vikings, I was surprised only four of them were called on the Vikes.

3. The defense in still suspect but could improve over the season.

4. The running backs looked solid themselves and had a couple of good scampers.

5. The line does need some work still but again can get better as the season goes on.

Lots of work left to do but the team looks solid. Definitely can have a solid season if they continue to be disciplined on avoiding dumb costly penalties and mistakes. For the first time in awhile, I’m excited to see what they can do. Go Vikings!

To give everyone an update on the Region alignment. VASJ was moved to Region 18 in D-V from Region 17. So the good news is they would avoid Kirtland in the region should they qualify for the playoffs

Still not allowing the Vikes to play at the new field?
From what I was told, it would cost the school $3000 to play at the new field while it would be $1500 to play at Sparky. So logistically, they took the cheaper deal. And to add on, still won’t keep any $$ from concessions as well.