VASJ Vikings Football 2019

C'Town216

Well 3-7 in year 2 of Sowers era and now 7-13 in total. A lot of young underclassmen playing on top of playing Regional Finalist Cuyahoga Hts, playoff qualifier Elyria Catholic, and D-III University School. So far the 2019 schedule looks like this as of now:

Week 1 vs CVCA @ Sparky
Week 2 @ Collinwood @ Collinwood
Week 3 vs Waterloo @ Sparky
Week 6 @ Lutheran East

With the rest being CCC, Aquinas, Warren JFK, and Gilmour to fill out the NCL schedule next season.

Week 4 and Week 5 opponents are yet to be known. Possibly Warrensville or Shaw even both again this year. We shall see.

We shall see how they shape up next year, some promising play from the underclassmen could help shape the future for the Vikings next year as they displayed at the JV/Reserve level, hopefully it carries over to the varsity level and hopefully better results next year. Also one more thing,the differences between Euclid’s AD and Marbury at VASJ over the past needs to end and let VASJ use the new stadium next season considering Higley stiffed VASJ majorly over the petty BS that was going on.
Anywho, now time to focus on the basketball team this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2019 VASJ Varsity Schedule Home games at Euclid's Sparky DiBiasio Stadium

8/30 vs. CVCA @ Sparky DiBiasio Stadium 7pm
9/6 @ Collinwood @ Collinwood Athletic Complex Stadium 7pm
9/14 vs. Waterloo @ Sparky DiBiasio Stadium 7pm!
9/20 @ Warrensville Hts. @ Warrensville Stadium 7pm
9/27 @ Port Clinton @ True Lay Stadium 7pm
10/4 *@ Cleveland Central Catholic @ Stefanski Stadium 1pm
10/12 @ Lutheran East @ Lutheran East Field 4:30pm
10/19 vs. University School @ Sparky DiBiasio Stadium 7pm!
10/26 *@ Gilmour Academy @ Weber Stadium 1pm
11/02 *vs. Warren JFK @ Sparky DiBiasio Stadium 7pm!

*denotes NCL White Divisional Game
!denotes despite 7pm listed here, game is marked for 1pm on Arbiterlive

New lids for 2019. Sticking with overall with the same design despite the blue being more faded yet keeping the traditional look.
8a1890bdeaf1f76363dc8a15de8d0c81.jpg

Isn't Lutheran East the team that walks off the field if getting beat in the 1st quarter? Didn't they do this vs Kirtland or was that Richmond Heights??

In a shocking news, Bill Sowers was let go from his head coaching duties as was AD Vance Maurberry. They will be replaced by Viking legend and former Michigan and NFL QB Elvis Grbac. Grbac previously served as the QB coach under Chuck Kyle at Ignatius before being brought back to his alma mater.

Wow what a crazy move to get rid of the AD and HC just like that. Elvis will bring in more money tho

Wow what a crazy move to get rid of the AD and HC just like that. Elvis will bring in more money tho

Definitely was unexpected. We knew there was some hostility towards Vance (the previous AD) with several coaches due his lack of management skills. I believe he worked as a HS hoops promoter for 3rdcoast and had experience at Euclid under Higgley hence the beef between the two and getting shafted from playing at the new stadium. Honestly he needed to go. I was most surprised about Sowers being let go just like that. I guess the administration did not like the way the program was headed and wanted a big name like Grbac to help with the rebirth of a once football powerhouse. So we shall see how he does as he mentioned he will be in the building a lot as he’s working as the head of Marianist Urban Student Program and I believe teaching as well while pursuing his masters in theology.

Some familiar faces have been brought onto the staff for this season by Grbac via a reliable source:

Jim Webb returns after a 2 year Hiatus to coach the linemen and organize the special teams. The red shorts return to the sidelines.

Red Kenny who served as an assistant under Tom Schoen in the early 00’s, at St.Ed’s during the Finotti years and spent time during Storey’s final years coaching here at VASJ will also return to the staff under Grbac.

Tom Schoen who is a 2x All American at Norte Dame and former Cleveland Brown who served as the AD at VASJ up until 2005 and led VASJ to their first state title game in 2003 in a loss to Versailles will return to the Vikings sideline as the secondary positions coach.

I’m sure the staff will begin to further take shape here in the next few months as 2 a days approach in August

Also to add a couple of notes regarding the schedule found on Arbiter Live. The game at Port Clinton was removed from the schedule. A Friday night game listed for Sept.13 vs Waterloo was added instead of Sept.14 at 1pm.

Commander Scheon back in the fold!

Some familiar faces have been brought onto the staff for this season by Grbac via a reliable source:

Jim Webb returns after a 2 year Hiatus to coach the linemen and organize the special teams. The red shorts return to the sidelines.

Red Kenny who served as an assistant under Tom Schoen in the early 00’s, at St.Ed’s during the Finotti years and spent time during Storey’s final years coaching here at VASJ will also return to the staff under Grbac.

Tom Schoen who is a 2x All American at Norte Dame and former Cleveland Brown who served as the AD at VASJ up until 2005 and led VASJ to their first state title game in 2003 in a loss to Versailles will return to the Vikings sideline as the secondary positions coach.

I’m sure the staff will begin to further take shape here in the next few months as 2 a days approach in August

Very Impressed, great guy and coach!

A fantastic staff! Coach Storey will also be involved from what I hear.

A fantastic staff! Coach Storey will also be involved from what I hear.

So far the exact same staff from 2 seasons ago with Elvis at the helm instead of Coach Storey and minus Cramer, Kander who has one more year at South, Riff, and Hillsdale. I wonder if Elvis will be calling the plays this season or if he’s bringing in an offensive play caller.

Talkback Fans did a podcast that interviewed new VASJ AD and Head Football Coach Elvis Grbac - great listen for Viking Village and high school sports fans in general. Search Talkback Fans.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart

I heard a recent interview with him on 92.3 and it was great. It appears that the Vikings are in good hands.

So far the exact same staff from 2 seasons ago with Elvis at the helm instead of Coach Storey and minus Cramer, Kander who has one more year at South, Riff, and Hillsdale. I wonder if Elvis will be calling the plays this season or if he’s bringing in an offensive play caller.

I think Elvis will be calling the plays. The players were asking about the playbook at the introduction to the team and he said I have it right here. Let's get started.

I think Elvis will be calling the plays. The players were asking about the playbook at the introduction to the team and he said I have it right here. Let's get started.

Very exciting time for the Village. Hopefully his presence can help increase the numbers and bring in quality talent for success for years to come.

This is reposted from Elvis Grbac’s Facebook post and relaying it here for those that aren’t on Facebook can see it.

“Dear Alumni:

It is with great pleasure and enthusiasm that I am back at VASJ as the MUSP Director, Athletic Director and Head Football Coach. Many hats to be worn and much work to be done, but looking forward to accomplishing the task ahead. My vision of the athletic program and the other programs will consist of our motto of the school, Faith, Family and Future. I believe it is imperative that we always start with our catholic faith because it drives every aspect of the students life at our school. Our students development mentally, physically and spiritually will always be our top priority.

My other purpose of writing this letter is to encourage the alumni of Villa Angela and St. Joseph High School to participate in any capacity that you see fit. I think the time is right; there are many encouraging signs here at the school with not only the athletic side, but the student body itself. Our alumni base has many talents to give, be it your time or just your presence. Whatever it is that you feel can help to enrich the school, I sincerely want you to be apart of the future.

When we talk about the ‘Viking Village,’ it’s hard to point to one thing or aspect that can describe it. But I can honestly and without hesitation say, it is still here!! We all know what I’m talking about, there is something unique about our school that no other institution can say. You will always be a part of it, it never leaves you. It will not take one person to change a school it will take you, the ‘Viking Village.’

Go Vikings ’88
Elvis Grbac”

For the Week 10 game vs Warren JFK on November 2, 2019. VASJ will be celebrating the 30th anniversary of the first and only State Championship in school history in 1989 at halftime. The game also marks senior night for both football players and cheerleaders during pregame. The game is slated for 7pm kickoff at Euclid.

Also, any word if Euclid is having VASJ play at Sparky DiBiasio Stadium or will we finally get to play in the new stadium since Vance is no longer the AD and the beef between Vance and Higgley is a non factor now.

Unless there is a mistake on the posted schedule it looks like 4 home games and 6 on the road.

I am excited to play VASJ at either stadium. We have a great group of kids returning this year at CVCA. The tradition of VASJ and their great alumni and fans should make week 1 special.

Unless there is a mistake on the posted schedule it looks like 4 home games and 6 on the road.

I saw on arbiter live that Port Clinton was removed off the schedule

I saw on arbiter live that Port Clinton was removed off the schedule

That is kinda odd, this late. Would be a shame to have to look for a game at this point. :Ohno:
Was removed off both team's schedules. However 2020 shows a Port Clinton home game on 9-25 on both schedules.

There are options that are still open showing on the Open Dates thread. Only three that could possibly work without big-time travel are: Ashtabula St. John, Warren JFK and Youngstown East. Of those JFK would be the best option but that would mean playing the Eagles twice. Not unheard of, but definitely odd. Pa could possibly have something as well.

Something crazy going on for sure. :soapbox:

Youngstown East would be the better option for second level points than St. John. St. John still needs one more game to fill their schedule, even if VASJ agrees to fill one of the spots.

I can understand the Vikings frustration. JFK is having a hard time filling our open date. Teams just flat refuse to play us. The bane of private schools I guess, unless you are terrible that is.

I can understand the Vikings frustration. JFK is having a hard time filling our open date. Teams just flat refuse to play us. The bane of private schools I guess, unless you are terrible that is.

Yeah it’s just the ignorance of assuming that all private’s cheat which is simply not the case. Is there recruiting involved? Yes but in a legal way to showcase the entirety of what the schools offer and not the absurd accusation of getting talent from all over God’s green Earth. We shall see what happens regarding the schedule