VASJ Vikings Basketball 2019-20

51-36 win by VASJ over Mitchell, TN yesterday. According to the tournament website, they play Lafayette HS from Missouri this morning at 9:00 am.

Vikes fall to St.Joes Lafayette 63-59 to finish their Neosho tournament 1-2 and 5-5 overall. Next up on the schedule is the Vikes taking on Lake Catholic on January 10th at the Palace after a needed week off. Happy New Year, see everyone in 2020

Vikes fall to St.Joes Lafayette 63-59 to finish their Neosho tournament 1-2 and 5-5 overall. Next up on the schedule is the Vikes taking on Lake Catholic on January 10th at the Palace after a needed week off. Happy New Year, see everyone in 2020
Lost in double OT and by 4 pts.I'll take that as a growing experience.Look forward to seeing you soon. Go Bucks go Vikes

The 2010’s are about be done in less than an hour. To reflect these were my top 5 moments from the 2010’s

5. 2012: Gartner’s game tying 3 vs Richmond Hts to send game into OT. Eventually lost in OT.

4. Beating Ignatius the first time in years in 2014

3. The dunk fest that occurred during the CCC game in 2013.

2. Defeating Richmond Hts in District Final in 2013 to return to Canton for 1st time since 2008.

1. Winning schools first state title in 18 years against Lepsic in 2013. Triggering the 5 consecutive state final appearances and breaking that record.

I'm very surprised the Higgins shot at the buzzer to beat Beachwood was not on that list. The best game I ever witnessed live.

One of the best HS games I've ever seen live. Ton's of talent on both rosters and an amazing finish. When Higgings was taking the ball out of bounds I knew it was coming right back to him. Apparently Beachwood did not, ha.

They practiced that play all week and it did not work once against the backups. It worked when it counted which is just amazing.

You only get so many chances and if appears Carl has wasted his - it's a shame. The older you get the bigger the consequences are for your poor decisions.

You only get so many chances and if appears Carl has wasted his - it's a shame. The older you get the bigger the consequences are for your poor decisions.

It really is. And he got way into his head and lost his last chance at a basketball career. What a shame. I hope he straightens his life out and stay out of trouble.

VASJ gets ran right out of the gym at Bene in a drubbing of 68-94 dropping the teams record to 5-8. The Vikes are back in action tomorrow at Hawken.

Last edited:
Not surprised they lost on the road - surprised by the amount. This is a year of firsts it seems. First time losing to Euclid or Lake in forever, possible losing record for the first time in forever and possibly the first time not winning the District in forever. All good things come to an end at some point - I'm confident the Vikings will be back sooner then later.

Not surprised they lost on the road - surprised by the amount. This is a year of firsts it seems. First time losing to Euclid or Lake in forever, possible losing record for the first time in forever and possibly the first time not winning the District in forever. All good things come to an end at some point - I'm confident the Vikings will be back sooner then later.

To give a rundown of the firsts, the loss to Euclid was the first since 2010, Babe’s first year at the helm, to mind you he was without Demonte Flannigan, the Lake loss was the first in over 40 years. I believe the last losing season was the year after Clark graduated. And this is the worst team since the 2008-09 season when we lost Nate Barns and Ashen Ward and the twin towers of Dom Haynes and Klein Harper due to graduation. And possibly first time not winning districts since 2012 and not making it past the District Semi’s since 2003-04.

Joes bounces back with a win over Hawken last night with a final of 62-44 and improve to 6-8 and will host Hoban next Friday.

Final from last night

Hoban 80
VASJ 72

Vikings fall to 6-9 and will face St.Ignatius tonight at Sullivan Gym across from Wendy’s tip is slated for 7pm.

Final from Sullivan

Iggy 70
St.Joes 55

Vikes fall to 6-10 on the season
startling fact is although game was played on the road, VASJ has lost all but 1 home game this season. When was the last time St.Joes/VASJ struggled that much in the Palace?

Final yesterday from the Palace

VASJ 87
Eastlake North 68

Vikings end losing skid at home with the win to improve to 7-10. The Vikings travel down 422 on Saturday as they travel to Warren JFK in a NCL matchup.

VASJ draws the #4 seed in the Ashtabula district will take on Edgewood on 2/25 at 7pm. The winner would play the winner of West G and St.Martin de Porres on 2/28 (at the Palace if the Vikings beat Edgewood). If they advance past Sectionals, they’re more than likely to face off against Lutheran East at Lakeside as they take the #1 seed. Lake Catholic is #2 in the district

Final from Mentor High last night:

Mentor 86
VASJ 70

PS someone please burn the black jerseys and get them out of the rotation! They are not our school colors!

Final 2 regular seasons games this weekend with CCC and St.Ed’s visiting the Palace. CCC tonight and Senior Night tomorrow against St.Ed’s. VASJ will suffer their first losing season since god knows when as they currently sit at 8-12. If they somehow win both this weekend (highly unlikely) they would finish at 10-12, if they lose both they will finish at 8-14 going into the sectional semis.

Final from last night,

CCC 89
Joes 67

today VASJ hosts St.Ed’s in which will probably consist of a brutal hard to watch game and the losing streak to Ed’s going into its 20th season. #ouch

Just announced today via the News Herald, the NCL will officially disband for all sports at the end of the school year. VASJ will compete as an independent for the first time since the 03-04 season.

What we could possibly see in 2020-21? One I know would be possibly playing Euclid twice a season like they used to prior to joining the NCL. Will see.