VASJ names c/o 2008 alum Ashen Ward as new Head Coach

C'Town216

VASJ made it official today and announced that they hired Pepper Pike Orange Head Coach Ashen Ward as the Vikings new head coach, Ash is a graduate of VASJ in 2008 and played under former HC Dave Wojciechowski now at Harvey, from 2005-2008 and was apart of 3 straight final four births including a State Title appearance in 06 in a loss against North College Hill. Ash played at Youngstown State before returning to VASJ as an assistant under former HC Babe Kwasniak ‘94 and served as Orange’s HC for the past couple of seasons. Congrats Ashen and welcome back home to the Village!

here is the official statement
FDAA0A04-C4A2-481F-AAE5-7D4A725C3A35.jpeg

My thoughts on the Ashen Ward hire: He is someone that I know kids both current and future basketball players would love playing for, he’s well respected, cares about the school, and can relate to the players. This has me excited for what is to come during the Ashen Ward era. Elvis and the rest of the interviewers that we’re involved in the hiring process knocked it out of the park with this one.

I'm hoping they got this right. Sounds like they did. Whoever was to blame for the way last season played out (my guess is there is plenty of blame to go around!), VASJ will benefit from some lack of drama around the program. NEO basketball is better when VASJ is relevant.

congratulations to Coach Ward...
& I'm glad VASJ has a coach that the rest of us can pronounce and spell
his name.

;)

:>---

SALT

Last edited:
I'm sure ARC is surprised his underachieving boy from Lake Catholic is not the new coach. We had a good coach and they hired a good coach. Having two D1 players and not being able to get out of the district 3 years in a row should scream volumes.

Now wait just a minute here, as we vetted the candidates for the position we ended up with our candidate that was the best fit. Coach Ward is a fine young man that has agreed to do things in a dignified manner. After the embarrassment caused over the last 10 years there is much rebuilding to do.

Bball216, you seem to like to bash the coach at Lake Catholic that beat Coach Babe twice last year. Question for you, didn't Coach Babe lose to Richmond Heights in a DIV playoff game with 4 Division 1 players on his roster? Did that not happen?

Here is a link to an interview Ashen Ward did with Big Time Sports. The interview starts at the 30:10 mark.

Word is the best returning player for VASJ is transferring to Warrensville Heights. Coach Ward will need to find his own players in his attempt to return the Vikings to glory. Hameed could have became the schools all time leading scorer had he stayed. The first year may be rough on Coach Ward as the cupboard is a bit bare. The talent is thin and the schedule is tough - not a good combination. We saw what that looked like last season. Joe's is still Joe's and kids will want to play there - Ash will just have to build it back up from the ground up. He will have a staff that knows what it takes to win. This pandemic isn't helping either. I dont care how well you think you can coach you still need talent. Ash will need to acquire talent.