VASJ (8-10) at Lake Catholic (10-5) 2/14/20

brusharc1986

The eyes of plenty will be on this one as the Vikings travel down the shoreway to visit the school Tedd Kwasniak once called home, the Lake Catholic Cougars. VASJ comes into this one looking forward their first victory over a team with a winning record while Lake Catholic looks to sweep the once storied Vikings for the first time ever. I was unable to attend the first one but I’m clearing my schedule for this one the 2nd time around.

Vasj vs Vasj - you dont even proof read the junk you post.
What are you talking about? Are so much on tilt that you are seeing things and calling a quality post about a quality matchup junk? I didn’t think it was a junk game but maybe some of the diehards like you are jumping ship.

Stopped down to check on one of my tenants down on Lakeshore Blvd. today and all he could keep talking about was how excited he was to see a full strength Vikings team travel to Bellflower Rd. this weekend. Apparently, the surging Vikes are motivated by having a full compliment of players this time around and are enjoying the growth of a couple of their young players. Should be a totally different team on the court than the first matchup.

Question for those in the know here, do these teams exchange films or video? I know they played each other once already but I’m sure you can pickup some new things by studying video of your opponent. I’d be interested in finding out.

I was a little surprised at the score if this one. It seemed to me that VASJ was trending upwards with recent victories over Hawken and Eastlake North and that Lake Catholic may have been ripe for an upset. This game was really never close.

Maybe BBall216 can fill us in a little bit on the Waag injury? If he’s out for the playoffs it could really hurt the Vikings.

For a school with the pedigree that VASJ has it is very disturbing that the program has fallen this far this fast. Kids should be lining up here just like at St. V. What is going on? They may be better next year but it is a long way from Lutheren East and St. V , two teams they need to beat to ever get back to Columbus. East is somewhat in their back yard recruiting wise. No size or much ability inside. Too guard heavy with the roster. Other than a select few all schools suffer from down cycles in talent. This looks like more than that. Hail Red & Blue.

James -
The team was one game away from state last year. Everyone in Viking Village knew this year would be a challenge with only one Senior on the squad and a lot of JV kids - why sound so surprised. This was the class hit by all the sophomore transfers that are starring at Shaker, Richmond Heights, Euclid, etc. IF you were at the game last night you saw two emerging players in Ivey and Clarke that should give you hope. IF these kids work hard in the off season, play AAU and mature they can be pretty good next year. The JV team is pretty good and the 9th grade bigs are going to grow and get stronger.

The question I have is Lake Catholic. Once the two D1 Seniors leave after this year there is nothing. The JV team stinks and the roll players on varsity are marginal at best. Next year would be a great time for Moran to use the "I want to spend more time with my family" line like so many coaches with no talent returning do. Face it from what I saw last night nobody is beating East.

James -
The team was one game away from state last year. Everyone in Viking Village knew this year would be a challenge with only one Senior on the squad and a lot of JV kids - why sound so surprised. This was the class hit by all the sophomore transfers that are starring at Shaker, Richmond Heights, Euclid, etc. IF you were at the game last night you saw two emerging players in Ivey and Clarke that should give you hope. IF these kids work hard in the off season, play AAU and mature they can be pretty good next year. The JV team is pretty good and the 9th grade bigs are going to grow and get stronger.

The question I have is Lake Catholic. Once the two D1 Seniors leave after this year there is nothing. The JV team stinks and the roll players on varsity are marginal at best. Next year would be a great time for Moran to use the "I want to spend more time with my family" line like so many coaches with no talent returning do. Face it from what I saw last night nobody is beating East.

Bball216 you are precious. You refuse to answer any questions or provide any insight although you claim to know it all. Is the culture so cracked at VASJ that kids are getting suspended regularly?

From what I understand the athletic director at the VASJ was very impressed with the way Lake Catholic was coached last night. I’ll let you connect the dots. By the looks of things it seems Mugnmaul already has.

Jimmy, maybe you know? Why was the Waag kid suspended? For a program led by a military man it seems like there are an awful of suspensions. Is this his 2nd suspension of the year? Bball216 talks a lot about the defections and the youth. What is your take on why these kids are leaving? This Clarke seems like a good young player. If this season was going to be a rebuild why did it take so long for him to play a significant role? I look to you for a forthright answer.

For starters, Scott at Shaker, and Cunningham at Euclid are guards. The others have some size but more would be nice even if they and the others would have stayed. I don't know why those kids left but it is unacceptable. If grades and character are considered before acceptance to the school than why all the defection? I don't like watching my school get rolled when East is getting kids that should be lining up at VASJ. Don't get me started on the type of student athlete Ed's and Iggy pulls in. We could not beat them even when talent was better. After watching the entire night at VASJ against Bene I determined that the JV could beat the Varsity. And why are some players even dressing for the varsity when I know they would not impact a JV game? I talked it over with associates and determined that there were a few players( #3 in particular) on the JV that need some Varsity time NOW. Because even if they need some seasoning and I don't see practice habits or know their basketball I.Q. This team is going nowhere so why not play the future kids and speed up the re-loading process. Especially if the upperclassmen are not really worthy of the playing time. It does not take a coach of USA basketball to see there is a lack of talent and who should be playing and not playing. I don't really care about Luke Frazier or Luca who by the way was at plenty of VASJ games when he was in grade school. We should not fall from NEVER LOOSING TO LAKE to getting beat soundly. Oh yeah.. I came to find out from a parent who is very influential in fund raising activities and has a kid in the program......that the JV had beaten the Varsity on a few occasions in practice. He heard me and turned around smiled and agreed with me 100%.

James - I spoke to a JV parent as well and they have beaten the varsity on more then one occasion from what I'm told. I made that exact comment to some Viking alum at the Hawken game. I felt the JV team would have run Hawken out of the Fieldhouse - yet it was like 18 to 18 at halftime. Unlike East - VASJ has always been built on kids who decide to come there as 9th graders. They never have really went the transfer route. Sure a kid here and there moves in - but it's not the norm and they do not actively recruit kids from other schools. They just don't. This is a down year - its allowed to happen. Teams would kill to have one season like VASJ has had for the last 8 years. While talent may be down this year over seasons past - that is not the issue. The issue is the kids are not getting it. They are not following the great leaders who proceeded them. This team can be very good again starting next year - if this group matures and start playing and caring for each other. If not no amount of talent will matter. This year there are a lot of Senior laden squads in NE Ohio - next year Joe's could be back toward the top with the areas best. It's up to the kids - they need that strong leader to step up.