Varsity Girls and Varsity Boys Same Night, Same Location

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
This Friday I will get to see my first time a Girls Varsity play before the Boys Varsity. What does everyone think of this setup?

This Friday I will get to see my first time a Girls Varsity play before the Boys Varsity. What does everyone think of this setup?
Northern Lakes League normally has this kind of setup as a Friday DH. I kinda like it IMO.

Toledo Central Catholic was set to have something like this last year before snowfall caused it to be cancelled. The Lady Irish would've played Fremont Ross in a clash of TRAC titans, while the Irish would square off against prep-school power Word of God Academy (alma mater of John Wall). Both CC teams won on separate nights, but it would have been an awesome experience to see both of those games play out back to back.

I'd like it better on a Saturday so it would give people more time to get to the beginning of the girls game, if they want.

No one would come out and say that girls should be "opening act" for boys, but I think the truth is more eyes see girls basketball in this setup. I think there's a greater case for certain colleges to do this. I watch my school's women's team on ESPN+ when I can, and if it just so happens that they schedule a women's and men's double header on the weekend, that becomes my preferred date to drive a couple hours and visit. I would make that trip for a stand-alone men's game, but I'm sorry, I'm not going to do the same for a stand-alone women's game.

Has the potential for greater attendance during the girls game, IMO. I could see some folks who normally just go to the boys games stop by early out of curiosity and start to make it a habit. Maybe not a lot, but who knows.

Women's-men's was always the format at Columbus State CC. Saturday women's game at 1 PM, men's at 3 PM. On weeknights they'd go 6 PM and 8 PM. Once in a great while they'd have the men go first, but as oxat622 alluded, it didn't feel right.

Mine has done this, not just on the road and at home but also as a home-and-home (girls on the road @ 2pm, boys at home @7pm.) It’s a fine set-up. You can bring in more attendance for a given night, and it’s one less game night you have to tie down ancillary logistical matters (like securing volunteers.) Its efficient scheduling.

MOCAL has done it in central Ohio and there’s been extremely negative feedback from what I can tell. The difference is they go Girls Varsity, Boys JV, and Boys Varsity. Supposed to start at 5:00/6:30/8:00, but usually starts around 8:30 or later, which has some late nights.

I have heard of several games ending after 10:00pm on school nights, often at locations 45+ minutes away. I imagine that 2OT game last night would have ended close to 10:30pm. Oof.

The CBC did this for a while. One week it was girl boy the next game it was reversed. A few parents at one of the schools had complained that the girls were not receiving equal treatment. After their daughters graduated the practice went away. It does still happen a lot in soccer especially in the smaller schools with no reserve games.

going to become the norm in a few years due to a lack of officials.
You can throw in a lack of Girls Teams too! There are many Schools in SW Ohio that only have JV and Varsity Girls. Some of the JV Teams May have 7 Girls on the Team. Freshman Girls Basketball almost extinct in numerous Leagues down this way. Gonna get real interesting that’s for sure.

MOCAL has done it in central Ohio and there’s been extremely negative feedback from what I can tell. The difference is they go Girls Varsity, Boys JV, and Boys Varsity. Supposed to start at 5:00/6:30/8:00, but usually starts around 8:30 or later, which has some late nights.

I have heard of several games ending after 10:00pm on school nights, often at locations 45+ minutes away. I imagine that 2OT game last night would have ended close to 10:30pm. Oof.
This is a nightmare setup! Our league is doing a trial run of it this year with both teams doing it at both sites, flip flopping boys and girls. It was great, there was a fantastic atmosphere for the girls game which started at 6pm. We’ll see in a few weeks how it goes when the boys go first.

Both matchups were on Friday nights, with both JV games being played in a DH on Saturday morning. Trying to do a triple header is brutal, and you’re basically insinuating that BJV is more important than GV…not a great look, and I can see why the feedback would be negative.

Little Miami and Kings did this recently. They are rival nearby schools and the girls played right before the boys. From what people told me in was a fun atmosphere for both games and both varsity teams enjoyed it. Couldn’t find a seat for either game. Seems like a good idea especially for rival schools to at least try out.

Little Miami and Kings did this recently. They are rival nearby schools and the girls played right before the boys. From what people told me in was a fun atmosphere for both games and both varsity teams enjoyed it. Couldn’t find a seat for either game. Seems like a good idea especially for rival schools to at least try out.
It didn't happen this year, but Princeton and Winton Woods have in the past done an all-day Saturday event for their teams. One ticket gets you the whole day starting in the late morning with 9th grade teams, both JVs, then girls varsity and ending with boys varsity. I think it's great!

This is a nightmare setup! Our league is doing a trial run of it this year with both teams doing it at both sites, flip flopping boys and girls. It was great, there was a fantastic atmosphere for the girls game which started at 6pm. We’ll see in a few weeks how it goes when the boys go first.

Both matchups were on Friday nights, with both JV games being played in a DH on Saturday morning. Trying to do a triple header is brutal, and you’re basically insinuating that BJV is more important than GV…not a great look, and I can see why the feedback would be negative.
I think sooner or later some places will just decouple the reserve games from the varsity contests entirely. Freshmen/JV on Saturday mornings, nights separate from varsity action. I also think we’ll see the end of JV overtime in places — tie or sudden death.

I think sooner or later some places will just decouple the reserve games from the varsity contests entirely. Freshmen/JV on Saturday mornings, nights separate from varsity action. I also think we’ll see the end of JV overtime in places — tie or sudden death.
To this would be a spot to implement the Elon ending. Unless both teams are just horrendous shooting, it should end it relatively quickly.

I like it especially if you're just keeping to varsity for both. Inserting a JV game of either boys or girls makes it a long night.

I like the idea; however, it might take away from some of the late attendance the boys and girls JV games bring in before the varsity games.

If you're varsity only for both genders, then this is smart scheduling.
It's something at least one of the local leagues in NE OH has gone to for soccer (they're varsity only in both genders though).

Our league has gone to freshman, JV, Varsity triple header for boys only. This saves in travel overall. Girls play on their own night. Works fine.

Common practice since day 1 down here in South Carolina. Went to my first game back in 2004 and was perplexed that the girls were playing prior to the boys.

Our Girls JV, Boys 9th and Boys JV played last night at home and tonight our Girls Varsity and Boys Varsity will play at home.

pre-covid, like maybe 2018 or 2019, a school in my district even did a night where they played a girls varsity bball game, followed by a varsity wrestling dual and then capped off by a boys varsity bball game. The same school was the opponent for all 3 contests. Was a LONG night I was told but successful in showcasing all of 3 sports.

pre-covid, like maybe 2018 or 2019, a school in my district even did a night where they played a girls varsity bball game, followed by a varsity wrestling dual and then capped off by a boys varsity bball game. The same school was the opponent for all 3 contests. Was a LONG night I was told but successful in showcasing all of 3 sports.
I would be very interested to see the logistics of this. Did they have multiple gyms setup?

IMO i like it.....

My sons school is talking about doing Varsity girls/boys and JV girls/boys regularly very soon.

I thought it was great that Pick Central and Reynoldsburg split the boys/girls games to Thursday and Friday. It gave us fans the ability to see both of these great rivalry games! Thx go out to both schools for thinking about us hard-core fans of both the girls and the boys teams.

It didn't happen this year, but Princeton and Winton Woods have in the past done an all-day Saturday event for their teams. One ticket gets you the whole day starting in the late morning with 9th grade teams, both JVs, then girls varsity and ending with boys varsity. I think it's great!
I'd like to see this happen for one Saturday only. Make it for the main rival. Then on a Friday or Saturday the following week having varsity only Girls/Boys double-header. Having a JV double-header on a day the Varsity doesn't play. Maybe have one school host on Friday and the other school host Saturday. Guess you could do Thursday/Friday as well in that setup. I think increasing that format would be nice. I'd say maybe 40% of said format and 60% JV/Varsity Girls Thursdays & boys JV/Varsity Fridays the rest.

The Northern Lakes League has done it the past several years with their January games. On Thursdays, the Girls Freshman, Boys Freshman, and Boys JV play. On Fridays, the Girls JV (4:45 start), Girls Varsity, and Boys Varsity play in that order.