Vandalia Looking For New Head Coach

I just doubt any of these guys leave a current situation to go be a punching bag for the mighty MVL.
I've heard grumbles of Carter being done with NW, Derry applies for every job there is but is he a teacher? Cates is having too much success IMO, who knows why Skidmore would leave that community for Butler, which brings us to Minton, does he have enough energy to try and take a program like Butler?

Every thought about Jason Sutherland?
VB alum, coaches with Cates at Cov. Good dude who knows what he's talking about.
Skidmore resigned at Valley View so he can be a candidate

Minton, it’s a possibility. if he has the itch then it’s a good place for him

Carter- if he is in fact done with NW then this would be a good job for him

Sutherland- interesting candidate being an alum. is he going?

Skidmore resigned at Valley View so he can be a candidate

Minton, it’s a possibility. if he has the itch then it’s a good place for him

Carter- if he is in fact done with NW then this would be a good job for him

Sutherland- interesting candidate being an alum. is he going?
I did not know Skidmore resigned...I need to open up my paper more apparently!
I think Carter would be a good for them, not from there but very familiar with the program and the area.
No idea about Sutherland, I just don't know many VB alum that coach, if they want an alumni, I'd go after him at least to feel him out.

Skidmore is interesting.
Childers and Smitherman are also successful guys who recently lost positions.
Not sure I see VB as a Minton kind of place, but I could be wrong.
Carter could also be a good hire.
Pearce could work, but I think the timing is wrong for him. MU is going to be good the next 2 years.
Sutherland- I find this very interesting. Not as proven as others listed, but might be more invested.
Derge- I don't like taking a Tipp guy, because you don't want to try and "out-Tipp" Burgbacher. No need to be the 2nd best in the MVL at what they do. Either do what everyone is doing but better, or be different. (that's why Smitherman may not be a popular pick, but could be a smart one)

Skidmore is interesting.
Childers and Smitherman are also successful guys who recently lost positions.
Not sure I see VB as a Minton kind of place, but I could be wrong.
Carter could also be a good hire.
Pearce could work, but I think the timing is wrong for him. MU is going to be good the next 2 years.
Sutherland- I find this very interesting. Not as proven as others listed, but might be more invested.
Derge- I don't like taking a Tipp guy, because you don't want to try and "out-Tipp" Burgbacher. No need to be the 2nd best in the MVL at what they do. Either do what everyone is doing but better, or be different. (that's why Smitherman may not be a popular pick, but could be a smart one)
totally forgot about Smitherman. could be a nice pick up. his offense may be more embraced at Butler than it was Xenia. I would be shocked if he hasn't already latched on as an assistant.

If they want experience, Does Jay Minton have interest in the VB job? Walks in with a lot clout and might be able to straighten out the baseball coach as well. Maybe Jim Place would take it? Maybe the old Miamisburg coach Channel would be interested if his legal troubles are wrapped up? I’m not sure if he’s in the state? Last I heard he was running from a warrant. If they want a younger coach, their current OC was a college coach and knows the school. One knock against him was his offense was almost last in the league and his position led the league in interceptions (I was told a school record?) Tipp’s defensive coordinator Joe Derge sounds like a good candidate. Has HC experience with a winning record and playoff wins. Maybe Minster or West Milton’s coach could be a good fit? They need someone that’s going to commit to the school and in the community. I heard that Puckett commuted from Centerville. Bad message to those you’re trying to gain buy in from.
Careful YakYak will come after you for making sense.

A lot of kids are borderline playing football here, but think about it you've had losing seasons then you have 5:30 AM practices, and all the hard work you've been putting in to go 2-8, not fun. These kids would rather put that attention to baseball or basketball where Butler is doing fairly well at. The relationship between the players is good as far as I understand, and the kids are training year-round with before-school programs or training with another sport. We have constant success in the middle school levels but not translating to varsity in my opinion because of coaching. I don't think any of the players want Wright but maybe a couple, that partly comes from the offense not succeeding last year and some of the players definitely want a fresh start. I also know they have limited it down to 4 or 5 coaches to choose from. Hopefully, this can help you understand what is going on from inside.
Well someone who knows what they are talking about. So good to read.

Has Meeks applied? He used to apply for every job in the area. What about the old Dunbar coach? What’s he doing nowadays? What about the coach from Stebbins? Bonify or something like that? Stebbins can’t be a destination job and will likely turn back into a pumpkin this year or next. Someone told me that this past season had some success in part to more eligible players because of the no grades and everyone passing the 2020 school year. Obviously, he must be a good coach, so jump ship while the gettin is good! It’s not too far and he can probably bring most of his staff.

Did anyone actually find out why Puckett left? I heard they told him to stop lifting so early, so he was going to bring them in after dinner hours and it wasn’t well received by administrators. Another guy told me he got fired over a parking spot. Said he kept parking in the AD’s spot. I don’t believe that, but reporting what I heard. Is going to coach at Centerville? I heard his kid plays there.

Has Meeks applied? He used to apply for every job in the area. What about the old Dunbar coach? What’s he doing nowadays? What about the coach from Stebbins? Bonify or something like that? Stebbins can’t be a destination job and will likely turn back into a pumpkin this year or next. Someone told me that this past season had some success in part to more eligible players because of the no grades and everyone passing the 2020 school year. Obviously, he must be a good coach, so jump ship while the gettin is good! It’s not too far and he can probably bring most of his staff.
i could see Meeks applying. wasn’t he offered the Troy job awhile back?

Let Dues do whatever he wants. Were a baseball school and its our best sport. Win some football games and maybe that coach could get some clout also.
I think they do, and that is part of the problem. FB players are hit with 5:30 am practice all summer and 6:20 am practices before school 2nd semester thats alot of early mornings. Would appreciate knowing what other schools do. ButlerParent gave insight into another side of the problem. By the way, it was well known among players and parents that one group of players took the bulk of screaming. Positional changes should have been made instead. Also, BP was talking coach to coach screaming, not parents screaming at coaches. There is much more to this side of the story but BP hit on overarching issues and is rightfully frustrated as are players and other parents. New staff is needed. A handful of candidates have been shared with the board, decision to be made in the next week or so. Hopefully AD and board do right by the players.

Minton is a good coach but he needs athletes and the caliber that he is accustomed to at Wayne aren’t at Vandalia. Don’t think he’d leave UD for this role. My guess is a teacher at Vandalia may get the role but this is speculation and I have nothing to confirm it. I don’t think we will see a notable name here and that’s fine as long as it’s the right guy for the job.

Sutherland would be interesting. Good assistant don’t know if he would be interested in a HC role. But as a potential alumni hire it’s intriguing if nothing else.

Minton isn't a good football coach. He is a great football administrator. He always hired the best assistant coaches to be on his staff. Problem is, are there enough good assistants out there? Many of his longtime Wayne assistants retired before he left.

A lot of kids are borderline playing football here, but think about it you've had losing seasons then you have 5:30 AM practices, and all the hard work you've been putting in to go 2-8, not fun. These kids would rather put that attention to baseball or basketball where Butler is doing fairly well at. The relationship between the players is good as far as I understand, and the kids are training year-round with before-school programs or training with another sport. We have constant success in the middle school levels but not translating to varsity in my opinion because of coaching. I don't think any of the players want Wright but maybe a couple, that partly comes from the offense not succeeding last year and some of the players definitely want a fresh start. I also know they have limited it down to 4 or 5 coaches to choose from. Hopefully, this can help you understand what is going on from inside.
You are making my point. Vandalia has no football players as #1 love. If your borderline blahh I might like this its not the sport for you. Go play your games. Vandalia has to many kids that want to play a games and not enough football in your blood kids. Those dudes dont care about 600am lifts are you kidding me. SOFT.

No coach is every going to fix that. Enjoy your 6-4 best case seasons, but hey you got to sleep in a little. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

You miss the point... most are putting in work and showing up at 5:20/6:00 year round despite the record... your a fool if you think they do it for anything other than love of the game. Those who don't rate FB #1 need coach and wins which entice.

You are making my point. Vandalia has no football players as #1 love. If your borderline blahh I might like this its not the sport for you. Go play your games. Vandalia has to many kids that want to play a games and not enough football in your blood kids. Those dudes dont care about 600am lifts are you kidding me. SOFT.

No coach is every going to fix that. Enjoy your 6-4 best case seasons, but hey you got to sleep in a little. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Dude. Your post is at 3:10 in the morning. Looks like your the one staying up all night playing video games. GTFO.

i could see Meeks applying. wasn’t he offered the Troy job awhile back?
Don’t think Meeks will apply this time but he is notorious for applying to every job. Cannot verify this but someone that was apparently close to the last search at Vandalia said that Meeks was the guy and was offered the job. Apparently it was a really nice offer and Vandalia was shocked when he decided to stay at his current school.

Did anyone actually find out why Puckett left? I heard they told him to stop lifting so early, so he was going to bring them in after dinner hours and it wasn’t well received by administrators. Another guy told me he got fired over a parking spot. Said he kept parking in the AD’s spot. I don’t believe that, but reporting what I heard. Is going to coach at Centerville? I heard his kid plays there.
I don’t know why Puckett left but I’m sure the daily drive from Centerville and his son playing for the Elks were the major factors. I don’t blame him a bit.

I think they do, and that is part of the problem. FB players are hit with 5:30 am practice all summer and 6:20 am practices before school 2nd semester thats alot of early mornings. Would appreciate knowing what other schools do. ButlerParent gave insight into another side of the problem. By the way, it was well known among players and parents that one group of players took the bulk of screaming. Positional changes should have been made instead. Also, BP was talking coach to coach screaming, not parents screaming at coaches. There is much more to this side of the story but BP hit on overarching issues and is rightfully frustrated as are players and other parents. New staff is needed. A handful of candidates have been shared with the board, decision to be made in the next week or so. Hopefully AD and board do right by the players.

The weight room is the foundation of any successful football program. So to answer your question, NO, this does not happen at other schools who truly care about a football program's success. Most successful programs lift after school in both the inseason and offseason. I know the guy I mentioned earlier in this post which has applied for the position would not be okay with this if it is truly the environment. I'm not sure of his status but if he has caught wind of this I'm sure he would be concerned.

The weight room is the foundation of any successful football program. So to answer your question, NO, this does not happen at other schools who truly care about a football program's success. Most successful programs lift after school in both the inseason and offseason. I know the guy I mentioned earlier in this post which has applied for the position would not be okay with this if it is truly the environment. I'm not sure of his status but if he has caught wind of this I'm sure he would be concerned.
Idk how most schools do it, we lift before and after school. That way jobs and playing other sports isn’t a valid excuse for not lifting. That being said, we still have to harp on kids constantly to make time for the weight room. I’m sure some places don’t have an issue with kids putting the work in (ML), but most places will always have to work at it. A good work ethic is not an automatic trait, some people have it, some people have to be pushed to it, some people will never have it.

Idk how most schools do it, we lift before and after school. That way jobs and playing other sports isn’t a valid excuse for not lifting. That being said, we still have to harp on kids constantly to make time for the weight room. I’m sure some places don’t have an issue with kids putting the work in (ML), but most places will always have to work at it. A good work ethic is not an automatic trait, some people have it, some people have to be pushed to it, some people will never have it.

Certainly there are programs who lift prior to the school day but also have access in the afternoon. It sounds to me base on the tone of some of the posters that there isn't much flexibility given to the football program when it comes to weight room availability. That in itself is somewhat backwards to most athletic departments.

Shane Carter has done a very nice job at Northwestern. It's a very difficult place to win at, and probably moreso, there are some big swings in talent level and numbers from class to class which he got bit by this year. Like his predecessor who's now at Alliance, he should be primed for a job upgrade. The issue he runs into as a theoretical candidate for bigger jobs which many conveniently seem to gloss over is that he is not a teacher or school administrator. Schools have been getting into hiring so-called "lay" coaches more frequently, but it's very rare to see a head coach in football or boys' basketball that is not a teacher/administrator. In the revenue sports not being in the building is a huge strike against your chances of getting hired if there are any other candidates (and there are many for those two sports) of arguably similar quality that have that advantage. Unless he is hired by Troy some day, he is going to have a very difficult time getting another head coaching job.

Rick Meeks isn't going anywhere. He's been at Shawnee for forever at this point, and from what I can tell when he's been throwing his name in the hat in the past for these bigger jobs it's probably been to try to gain leverage at Shawnee. With his level of experience to make the money work and make it worthwhile you almost have to offer him some administrative role such as an assistant AD position or make him dean of students and responsible for disciplinary actions.

Last edited:
Outside of the weekdays Burgbacher gets his Tipp guys in there on Saturday mornings for workouts and conditioning. Not the whole team obviously but he gets a good turnout. Everywhere he goes he gets his guys engaged and bought it. That’s what Vandalia needs. He’s been a winner everywhere he’s gone so whatever he is doing works. On paper Tipp should not be beating the teams they beat so there is something to it.

Outside of the weekdays Burgbacher gets his Tipp guys in there on Saturday mornings for workouts and conditioning. Not the whole team obviously but he gets a good turnout. Everywhere he goes he gets his guys engaged and bought it. That’s what Vandalia needs. He’s been a winner everywhere he’s gone so whatever he is doing works. On paper Tipp should not be beating the teams they beat so there is something to it.
That could be another reason to hire VB’s OC. If he’s from Burgbacher’s coaching tree, he’s probably picked up some of his tricks + what he learned at a successful college program. He’s familiar with the area and at least knows the name of the current players. Probably would know who on staff to keep or to clean house. The offense was terrible last year, but it was his first year installing a new system. It was probably the Jimmies and Joe’s anyway. Even Burgbacher’s offense was bad his first season. Or maybe Puckett was a complete fool to work for and undermined his authority and play calling? If nothing else it would be a good rivalry to see him coach against his former mentor at Tipp and then his old school Troy that rejected him. It’s made for tv drama.

You are so clueless and now I know why . Applegarth Lemaster Mitchell Casella Motter Wilson Buckler Love all live for football. Now we all know you are some young pup who is just a fool.

That could be another reason to hire VB’s OC. If he’s from Burgbacher’s coaching tree, he’s probably picked up some of his tricks + what he learned at a successful college program. He’s familiar with the area and at least knows the name of the current players. Probably would know who on staff to keep or to clean house. The offense was terrible last year, but it was his first year installing a new system. It was probably the Jimmies and Joe’s anyway. Even Burgbacher’s offense was bad his first season. Or maybe Puckett was a complete fool to work for and undermined his authority and play calling? If nothing else it would be a good rivalry to see him coach against his former mentor at Tipp and then his old school Troy that rejected him. It’s made for tv drama.
Definitely cannot put the lack of offensive success solely on Wright. He had some nice offenses at Troy and you are right we don’t know what the dynamics were with the staff. I’m really open to whoever they look to bring in but if I had one I was pulling for it would have to be Wright or Carter.