Vandalia Looking For New Head Coach

Tyler Wright is the worst decision they could make.
Agreed. They need to bring an all new coaching staff in. The coach from Covington is a proven head coach. Wright was Butler's OC last year and they couldn't score points. Plus, his Alma mater didn't think he was good enough. I'll take a hard pass.

Carter is interesting, but don't like the other two. Skidmore would be intriguing, too, if there's nothing to the VV stuff except for crazy parents. My gut tells me Butler will choose a younger guy with no head coaching experience.
Who is a young coach in this area with no HC experience though? I personally can not think of any coaches who are ready to take the next step.

I'm not too familiar with VB, but is there a lack of interest in football? or are other coaches trying to force kids into one sport? There has to be some sort of talent within VB that could make a decent team. VB should not be going 2-8 like they did last year.

I'm not too familiar with VB, but is there a lack of interest in football? or are other coaches trying to force kids into one sport? There has to be some sort of talent within VB that could make a decent team. VB should not be going 2-8 like they did last year.
That’s the question. I’d love to hear from someone inside that can help us understand what is going on. They definitely should be competitive considering the MVL is no juggernaut. Vandalia has lacked size and athleticism is many areas but they have enough to field a 6-4/7-3 team year in and year out. When they have better classes they should be 8-2/9-1. Baseball is the only sport that this holds true in every year. They seem to always finish in the top two and that has held up through the GMVC, GWOC and sure the MVL will be no different.

Two things. Talent and coaching. Boys/Girls basketball & soccer teams: Lucky if they win more than one game in the State playoffs. Some Vandalia kids go to CJ, a couple Vandalia kids were on State Championship Baseball teams. As for Coaching, they need some to excite kids to make the commitment to play. Need 7th & 8th teams to run HS system. Need to have 7-on-7 teams. Etc. Also, the Community doesn't care that much about its Athletic teams.

One other thing. It seems that ALL Butler sports teams suffer from big class imbalances. I have no idea why. Hard to sustain success when the next class participation is <50% of the class ahead of it.

None of you know Butler football or Vandalia the town.

Dont make football miserable. Dont curse them and ridicule them in front of others. Stop cursing at coaches. Dont ask them to be at summer workouts at 5:30AM and then keep them till noon. Dont change the offense every single year. Stop throwing the ball all the time. Find an AD who will stop other sports from making kids not play football. Make a school wide weight lifting so everyone shares athletes.

This town loves sports. Stop making it cost a fortune to go to a game. When you are married with kids it cost me $50 a game after tickets food drinks. Let kids have fun at games instead of screaming at them for getting out of there seats.

Two things. Talent and coaching. Boys/Girls basketball & soccer teams: Lucky if they win more than one game in the State playoffs. Some Vandalia kids go to CJ, a couple Vandalia kids were on State Championship Baseball teams. As for Coaching, they need some to excite kids to make the commitment to play. Need 7th & 8th teams to run HS system. Need to have 7-on-7 teams. Etc. Also, the Community doesn't care that much about its Athletic teams.
Lies

7 and 8 grades do run the high school offense. Coach just keep changing the offense each year. We had 7 on 7 went to tourneys. Community loves sports. We have the biggest gym best sports complex in the league and town paid for all of it. We do need a coach that excites them doesnt cuss them out and scream at them all time.

There have been some stud WR’s that got scholarships but you are right with the QB play. Name the last impactful QB that carried the team. Probably going back nearly 20 years. You can have stud players but need pieces around them. Not one QB I know of at Vandalia has gone to a guru like Mike Fisher or Mike Schneider. Would like to see them have a QB that is aspiring to play at the next level.
Chandler Craine threw for over 2000 yards just 5 years ago. Cant go to gurus baseball wont let them.

In leui of a Wayne coach applying for the job, during Wayne's hey days, football players were on the basketball team, outside of DMitrik Trice, there were no good basketball players on the football team.

Not a huge deal but Dues has baseball specific workouts. Like I asked in an earlier post, where are the stud players for kids to get excited about. Outside of Decker, who was the last Butler kid to get a D1 scholly? Who wants to be a WR when the QB play is subpar? Etc.

Butler is a mystery. They have had success in the 7th & 8th grades, but you don't see it translate to Varsity.
You dont know Butler football at all. Kozak went DI. Bryant went DI. How many tipp kids gone DI since Decker? Greenville? Sidney? Stebbins? Piqua?
Butler won the league in 2015 and made the playoffs. Made playoffs twice since then.
3 basketball players would start for football team. 4 wresters would start too. Baseball has at least 6 kids who quit football because of coaching and just play baseball. Dues does not let baseball players lift during winter or spring. AD and principal need to stop it.

I'd say look at the multiple posts by "ButlerParent" and you'll get a behind the scenes look at the real problem (insert sarcasm)

Lies

7 and 8 grades do run the high school offense. Coach just keep changing the offense each year. We had 7 on 7 went to tourneys. Community loves sports. We have the biggest gym best sports complex in the league and town paid for all of it. We do need a coach that excites them doesnt cuss them out and scream at them all time.
None of you know Butler football or Vandalia the town.

Dont make football miserable. Dont curse them and ridicule them in front of others. Stop cursing at coaches. Dont ask them to be at summer workouts at 5:30AM and then keep them till noon. Dont change the offense every single year. Stop throwing the ball all the time. Find an AD who will stop other sports from making kids not play football. Make a school wide weight lifting so everyone shares athletes.

This town loves sports. Stop making it cost a fortune to go to a game. When you are married with kids it cost me $50 a game after tickets food drinks. Let kids have fun at games instead of screaming at them for getting out of there seats.

This is classic. It is everyone else problem except the person in the mirror. Take some accountability with the players good grief. Their not good because their not good. If you mention 7th or 8th you have no clue what your talking about. And WTF does ticket prices have to do with anything. There set by the conference, you are clueless beyond belief.

Lies

Oh waaaah the coach is so meeannnn he was grumpy. Please excite me coach, I need to be excited. If you can only excite me we can win. BARF BARF BARF.

You dont know Butler football at all. Kozak went DI. Bryant went DI. How many tipp kids gone DI since Decker? Greenville? Sidney? Stebbins? Piqua?
Butler won the league in 2015 and made the playoffs. Made playoffs twice since then.
3 basketball players would start for football team. 4 wresters would start too. Baseball has at least 6 kids who quit football because of coaching and just play baseball. Dues does not let baseball players lift during winter or spring. AD and principal need to stop it.

Let Dues do whatever he wants. Were a baseball school and its our best sport. Win some football games and maybe that coach could get some clout also.

Tyler Wright is the worst decision they could make.
I'd disagree, hes not the worst decision they could make, they could bring back Hyatt? In all seriousness, he's a good young coach eager to lead a program. If you're Vandalia what more could you want to re-energize your program? Sure they could go after a guy who has a couple championship belts at a smaller school, but right now Vidalia has an issue with buy in and commitment. Not to mention they aren't necessarily even a favorite in the weak MVL.

Yes, had 4 seniors playing football this year, 3 starting.
>87
I'd disagree, hes not the worst decision they could make, they could bring back Hyatt? In all seriousness, he's a good young coach eager to lead a program. If you're Vandalia what more could you want to re-energize your program? Sure they could go after a guy who has a couple championship belts at a smaller school, but right now Vidalia has an issue with buy in and commitment. Not to mention they aren't necessarily even a favorite in the weak MVL.
I think anyone applying for the job is probably eager to lead the program. You need a reputation guy in this situation. Unfortunately Wright didn't build one at Butler nor Troy. Coming off a 2-8 season you need fresh blood to retain and entice players. Place players where they excel, actively recruit a few big guys, feed them all with skiils and confidence, get a few more wins and it will pick up momentum.

If they want experience, Does Jay Minton have interest in the VB job? Walks in with a lot clout and might be able to straighten out the baseball coach as well. Maybe Jim Place would take it? Maybe the old Miamisburg coach Channel would be interested if his legal troubles are wrapped up? I’m not sure if he’s in the state? Last I heard he was running from a warrant. If they want a younger coach, their current OC was a college coach and knows the school. One knock against him was his offense was almost last in the league and his position led the league in interceptions (I was told a school record?) Tipp’s defensive coordinator Joe Derge sounds like a good candidate. Has HC experience with a winning record and playoff wins. Maybe Minster or West Milton’s coach could be a good fit? They need someone that’s going to commit to the school and in the community. I heard that Puckett commuted from Centerville. Bad message to those you’re trying to gain buy in from.

That’s the question. I’d love to hear from someone inside that can help us understand what is going on. They definitely should be competitive considering the MVL is no juggernaut. Vandalia has lacked size and athleticism is many areas but they have enough to field a 6-4/7-3 team year in and year out. When they have better classes they should be 8-2/9-1. Baseball is the only sport that this holds true in every year. They seem to always finish in the top two and that has held up through the GMVC, GWOC and sure the MVL will be no different.
A lot of kids are borderline playing football here, but think about it you've had losing seasons then you have 5:30 AM practices, and all the hard work you've been putting in to go 2-8, not fun. These kids would rather put that attention to baseball or basketball where Butler is doing fairly well at. The relationship between the players is good as far as I understand, and the kids are training year-round with before-school programs or training with another sport. We have constant success in the middle school levels but not translating to varsity in my opinion because of coaching. I don't think any of the players want Wright but maybe a couple, that partly comes from the offense not succeeding last year and some of the players definitely want a fresh start. I also know they have limited it down to 4 or 5 coaches to choose from. Hopefully, this can help you understand what is going on from inside.

Just come out and say you'd like to be sought after, we know its you Mike.
If they want experience, Does Jay Minton have interest in the VB job? Walks in with a lot clout and might be able to straighten out the baseball coach as well. Maybe Jim Place would take it? Maybe the old Miamisburg coach Channel would be interested if his legal troubles are wrapped up? I’m not sure if he’s in the state? Last I heard he was running from a warrant. If they want a younger coach, their current OC was a college coach and knows the school. One knock against him was his offense was almost last in the league and his position led the league in interceptions (I was told a school record?) Tipp’s defensive coordinator Joe Derge sounds like a good candidate. Has HC experience with a winning record and playoff wins. Maybe Minster or West Milton’s coach could be a good fit? They need someone that’s going to commit to the school and in the community. I heard that Puckett commuted from Centerville. Bad message to those you’re trying to gain buy in from.
Joel Derge- no way. stepped away from HC for a reason but stayed on at Tipp
Stokes- doubt it. he’s had an opportunity at probably some better jobs
Pearce (MU)- don’t see him leaving MU. they’ve established a good tradition their.
Minton- this would be an interesting one. if he’s interested, would be a great hire. a good ball coach.
Channel- probably not. i don’t think the Butler community would be too happy having a coach that allegedly slept with players moms.

Names to Watch
Jay Minton (Wayne/UD)
Tyler Cates? (Covington)
Michael Derry (Fairborn DC)
Bob Skidmore (Valley View)
Shane Carter (Northwestern)

Pearce (MU)- don’t see him leaving MU. they’ve established a good tradition their.
Minton- this would be an interesting one. if he’s interested, would be a great hire. a good ball coach.
Channel- probably not. i don’t think the Butler community would be too happy having a coach that allegedly slept with players moms.

Names to Watch
Jay Minton (Wayne/UD)
Tyler Cates? (Covington)

Do they have a time table for a decision? Are they in the second round of the process yet?

Names to Watch
Jay Minton (Wayne/UD)
Tyler Cates? (Covington)

I just doubt any of these guys leave a current situation to go be a punching bag for the mighty MVL.
I've heard grumbles of Carter being done with NW, Derry applies for every job there is but is he a teacher? Cates is having too much success IMO, who knows why Skidmore would leave that community for Butler, which brings us to Minton, does he have enough energy to try and take a program like Butler?

Every thought about Jason Sutherland?
VB alum, coaches with Cates at Cov. Good dude who knows what he's talking about.