Van Buren D3 Sectional

This is how I see each weight class playing out. Not the most talented sectional out there, but I think we will see some pretty good finals matches.

Teams: Arcadia, Bluffton, Carey, Cory-Rawson, Elmwood, Hopewell Loudon, Liberty Benton, Mccomb, North Baltimore, Pandora Gilboa, Patrick Henry, Riverdale, Van Buren

106 -- Kleman (Bluf), Coldren (LB), Nekoranec (Elm), Wickman (VB)
113 -- Ponx (LB), Tolento (Arc), Campbell (Elm), ???? Only five wrestlers here and the other two have only won a hand full of matches.
120 -- Kleman (Bluf), Woods (LB), Carpenter (Elm), Stahl (HL) only four wrestlers here I believe.
126 -- Crawford (HL), Camp (PH), Sturgeon (Bluf), Musselman (LB) This this should be an easy weight class to predict. Interested who wins between Camp and Strugeon in the semis.
132 -- Hoover (HL), Pierce (McC), Harrison (Arc), Ziegler (Elm) Any of the top three could win this sectional. I'll take Hoover as a slight favorite over Pierce who has gotten much better from last season.
138 -- Grubb (McC), Baker (LB), L. Crawford (HL), Mowrey (VB) Heard Rickle from Carey has moved up to 145. Crawford from Hopewell is returning from an ACL injury. He should slide in at 3rd. Good finals match here with Baker and Grubb. I'll take grubb due to his recent win over baker.
145 -- Donaldson (VB), Rickle (Carey), Chiow (LB), Blair (Elm) Another good finals match here with Rickle and Donaldson. Without seeing Rickle up at 145 I'll give a slight edge to Donaldson due to size.
152 -- G. Endicott (Elm), Settlemire (LB), Ortiz (HL), Distel (Arc) With Gunner down at 152 this is his weight. After that its anybodies guess who is in the finals.
160 -- Basil (Bluff), Summit (Carey), C. Endicott (Elm), Richards (LB), Garcia (HL) This is probably the deepest weight at this sectional. Basil is a bit ahead of the rest of the field. But I could see any of the top five win this sectional.
170 -- Young (VB), A. Endicott (Elm), Conine (Arc), Gillig (LB) Another solid final between Young and Endicott.
182 -- Oliver (Elm), Burge (VB), Smarr (Arc) ??? Not sure who else is at 182 here. Oliver is the clear favorite.
195 -- Dire (LB), Ernest (Arc), Logston (Elm), Howard (Bluff) Dire is the clear favorite, but I've seen Ernest wrestle and I think there could be some fireworks here.
220 -- Hagemyer (Elm), Carman (Carey), Dukes (LB), Fuller (HL) Decent finals match here with Carman and Hagemeyer.
285 -- Berger (LB), Bowman (McC), Loera (Elm), Cook (HL), Steen (Carey) Shane (Riv) HVW is very deep here with solid kids. The top two are above the rest. Berger has a win over Bowman so I will take him to win it. The bottom four could fall in any order.

As for the team race I'll take:
Elmwood
Liberty Benton
Then any mix of Bluffton/Hopewell/Carey for third.

I pretty much agree with all that. Although Oliver is down to 170 and Logston at 182. I still like Young over Oliver as he pinned him last year at VBI. Should be a fun one to watch. And then Logston wins 182.

This is how I see each weight class playing out. Not the most talented sectional out there, but I think we will see some pretty good finals matches.

Teams: Arcadia, Bluffton, Carey, Cory-Rawson, Elmwood, Hopewell Loudon, Liberty Benton, Mccomb, North Baltimore, Pandora Gilboa, Patrick Henry, Riverdale, Van Buren

106 -- Kleman (Bluf), Coldren (LB), Nekoranec (Elm), Wickman (VB)
113 -- Ponx (LB), Tolento (Arc), Campbell (Elm), ???? Only five wrestlers here and the other two have only won a hand full of matches.
120 -- Kleman (Bluf), Woods (LB), Carpenter (Elm), Stahl (HL) only four wrestlers here I believe.
126 -- Crawford (HL), Camp (PH), Sturgeon (Bluf), Musselman (LB) This this should be an easy weight class to predict. Interested who wins between Camp and Strugeon in the semis.
132 -- Hoover (HL), Pierce (McC), Harrison (Arc), Ziegler (Elm) Any of the top three could win this sectional. I'll take Hoover as a slight favorite over Pierce who has gotten much better from last season.
138 -- Grubb (McC), Baker (LB), L. Crawford (HL), Mowrey (VB) Heard Rickle from Carey has moved up to 145. Crawford from Hopewell is returning from an ACL injury. He should slide in at 3rd. Good finals match here with Baker and Grubb. I'll take grubb due to his recent win over baker.
145 -- Donaldson (VB), Rickle (Carey), Chiow (LB), Blair (Elm) Another good finals match here with Rickle and Donaldson. Without seeing Rickle up at 145 I'll give a slight edge to Donaldson due to size.
152 -- G. Endicott (Elm), Settlemire (LB), Ortiz (HL), Distel (Arc) With Gunner down at 152 this is his weight. After that its anybodies guess who is in the finals.
160 -- Basil (Bluff), Summit (Carey), C. Endicott (Elm), Richards (LB), Garcia (HL) This is probably the deepest weight at this sectional. Basil is a bit ahead of the rest of the field. But I could see any of the top five win this sectional.
170 -- Young (VB), A. Endicott (Elm), Conine (Arc), Gillig (LB) Another solid final between Young and Endicott.
182 -- Oliver (Elm), Burge (VB), Smarr (Arc) ??? Not sure who else is at 182 here. Oliver is the clear favorite.
195 -- Dire (LB), Ernest (Arc), Logston (Elm), Howard (Bluff) Dire is the clear favorite, but I've seen Ernest wrestle and I think there could be some fireworks here.
220 -- Hagemyer (Elm), Carman (Carey), Dukes (LB), Fuller (HL) Decent finals match here with Carman and Hagemeyer.
285 -- Berger (LB), Bowman (McC), Loera (Elm), Cook (HL), Steen (Carey) Shane (Riv) HVW is very deep here with solid kids. The top two are above the rest. Berger has a win over Bowman so I will take him to win it. The bottom four could fall in any order.

As for the team race I'll take:
Elmwood
Liberty Benton
Then any mix of Bluffton/Hopewell/Carey for third.
thanx for your spin

top five potential matches according to boro fan
Van Buren Sectional

17. Matthew Berger (Liberty-Benton) Senior – RO4

vs

18. Tyler Bowman (McComb) Junior – RO5

8. Caden Crawford (Hopewell-Loudon) Senior – RO3

vs

28. Jeff Camp (Patrick Henry) Sophomore - RO8

22. Grant Young (Van Buren) Senior - RO4

vs

22. (182) Mason Oliver (Elmwood) Sophomore - RO7

*Sounds like Oliver will be at 170 for the postseason.

7. Thayne Kleman (Bluffton) Sophomore – RO4

vs

35. RJ Coldren (Liberty-Benton) Junior – RO11

18. Dru Baker (Liberty-Benton) Senior – RO5

vs

28. Wilson Grubb (McComb) Freshman – RO9

I want to point how well ran this sectional was. Not only did every wrestler meet the 45 minute deadline, but the tournament was ran smoothly and efficiently. Hats off to Van Buren for always producing great tournaments! Can't wait to be back for VBI next year!

Yeah I know. Working hard to toughen it up. I guess good for the 4 that made it, going from a weak sectional to a tough district.

If you’ve followed small school sports long enough you’d know that things are cyclical. Some things are relatively consistent, I’ll give you that, but every school struggles at times.

Genoa is a great indication of that, they’re not near this year what they have been for 5-10 years. Lakota was the best for a while, but it’s been tough replicating the great teams they had consistently. Bluffton and Elmwood looked young this year, but consistently send kids to state. A couple of the teams there won their league titles, so they had good TEAMS just not individuals that ended up qualifying for state.

The sectional assignments are changed up every once in a while. VB right now has some relatively younger programs competing, they’ll eventually get there. Get over yourself.

Reactions: VB3