Valley view looking for a new coach

I feel like you see stuff like this a lot though, when a change happens regardless of the back story to it. A successful coach leaves for whatever reason, and there's always an immediate setback, but the expectations stay the same. Then you have places like VV, where the coach has DEEP connections, and it's almost like they can't be successful unless they have that component.
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but one and done? Seems a little low class to me. Even if you thought scouting reports needed to be handed out or better adjustments need to be made, those are things you deal with in the coach's evaluation with the AD, not a school board meeting. IMO, those are not justifiable reasons to let a guy go after one year. And I could care less about a guy applying for other jobs. That's part of the profession. As an outsider, this looks like paybacks by the new board members for what happened to the old coaches. Super petty, super pathetic, and just as ugly of a black eye to the district and the program as what happened last year. Just my opinion.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but one and done? Seems a little low class to me. Even if you thought scouting reports needed to be handed out or better adjustments need to be made, those are things you deal with in the coach's evaluation with the AD, not a school board meeting. IMO, those are not justifiable reasons to let a guy go after one year. And I could care less about a guy applying for other jobs. That's part of the profession. As an outsider, this looks like paybacks by the new board members for what happened to the old coaches. Super petty, super pathetic, and just as ugly of a black eye to the district and the program as what happened last year. Just my opinion.
I would agree, it's petty across the board. Moyer had to apply for other jobs when he knew after the election he was going to be voted out.

I totally agree. Much of the dirty laundry that gets aired at board meetings can and should be handled at lower levels and out of the public eye.

He knew what he was walking into he was sitting in the audience at the first board meeting when this first went down. There was over 300 people at the meeting former players current players and parents all spoke up about how it was wrong getting rid of the coaches. When this meeting happened the job wasn’t even posted yet he is sitting in the audience? Seems a little funny to me.

y
you nailed it..... school board has no say in evaluating the coaches job, that is the AD's job...... it would be interesting to hear that report , if there was one..... sounds like the school board members have a CLOWNS on it.... anybody know what the vote count was?

He knew what he was walking into he was sitting in the audience at the first board meeting when this first went down. There was over 300 people at the meeting former players current players and parents all spoke up about how it was wrong getting rid of the coaches. When this meeting happened the job wasn’t even posted yet he is sitting in the audience? Seems a little funny to me.
I would imagine the Superintendent will be the next one non-renewed.

y

you nailed it..... school board has no say in evaluating the coaches job, that is the AD's job...... it would be interesting to hear that report , if there was one..... sounds like the school board members have a CLOWNS on it.... anybody know what the vote count was?
3-2 was the vote

I agree with you. I don't think he should have been removed after 1 year either. I just know places like VV seem to have issues like this. Just in my neck of the woods...

Versailles went through several coaches after Hecktrick retired and just NOW got back to a State Title
Several years ago, St. Marys ran Frye out of town, then they went 3-4 years where they had a 1-9 season, 0-10 season and at best went 5-5. Then they got Frye to come back.

I'm just saying that unfairly some coaches are cooked before their first practice just because of who they're replacing.

Bottom line, the board had made a decision and it is obvious they weren't going back on that decision at that point. Somebody was going to have to coach the team. I don't think what happened last year was right. I think Keating and Stidham got a raw deal and I think Skidmore was a stand-up guy for stepping down in support of his guys. With that said, that doesn't make this right in any way, shape or form. I guarantee somebody in the district sought out Moyer for the job. He didn't go fishing for the job and get those guys fired. He took an open position, with a storied program, that was a major step up from where he was at. Non-renewing him for scouting reports and a 5-5 record after what took place last year is petty. Period. He was not at fault for what happened last year. I get that a lot of people are upset about what went down last year, but go after the right people. You want to non-renew the super, the ad, the principal. Fine. You want to run against the board members and remove them from office. Great. But going after the guy who replaced the coach, who wasn't a part of any of the crap that happened is a joke and it only hurts the program and the players involved.

Bottom line, the board had made a decision and it is obvious they weren't going back on that decision at that point. Somebody was going to have to coach the team. I don't think what happened last year was right. I think Keating and Stidham got a raw deal and I think Skidmore was a stand-up guy for stepping down in support of his guys. With that said, that doesn't make this right in any way, shape or form. I guarantee somebody in the district sought out Moyer for the job. He didn't go fishing for the job and get those guys fired. He took an open position, with a storied program, that was a major step up from where he was at. Non-renewing him for scouting reports and a 5-5 record after what took place last year is petty. Period. He was not at fault for what happened last year. I get that a lot of people are upset about what went down last year, but go after the right people. You want to non-renew the super, the ad, the principal. Fine. You want to run against the board members and remove them from office. Great. But going after the guy who replaced the coach, who wasn't a part of any of the crap that happened is a joke and it only hurts the program and the players involved.
You don’t know part to the story most ppl don’t. The school board did the RIGHT thing

Last edited:
good luck getting a coach, after everybody finds out what this school board is about, things like this tends to get out in the coaching circle......

good luck getting a coach, after everybody finds out what this school board is about, things like this tends to get out in the coaching circle......
You’re a year too late with this statement. Coach is welcome hell they have on their own on the school board

Alk is correct , you need the whole story or at least the major guts to understand what has transpired and why since December of 2020 within the halls of VV.

You also MUST know what happened to Coach Skidmore if you’re going to post on this thread . Skidmore coached 34 years at VV, 29 as an assistant before getting the HC job . Also coached baseball for some time and was a HS Math teacher all 34 years . Not a blemish on his teaching record or coaching records .
-was Coach of the year in D4 southwest district 4 out of 5 seasons , 2017 D4 State COY . 77% winning percentage.

Mid December of 2020 former AD (Brian Lemke) met with Coach Skidmore and told him he didn’t want Andy Keating and Butch Stidham retained and he wants Skid to handle it ?!The only reason given at that time was because they received around 10 anonymous surveys saying “some” assistant coaches were bad role models essentially . These surveys didn’t have any coaches names on them .Yes VV does anonymous surveys to get feedback once the season is over …and the crazier part about that is you can submit one for any sport , meaning if you had a soccer player but wanted to do your own survey on football you could and still can btw and put on the survey anything you’d like in the comments section . Skid asked how with no names being mentioned do we know it’s Butch and Andy they’re referring to ? Lemke the AD tells Skid basically “we know”.
So Skid got ahold of his coaching staff and made them aware of what’s going on and to stay tight lipped about it because he was going to try and rectify the situation in house and didn’t want the public knowing what administration sought .

so 2 questions need answered so far -

1- what did Butch and Andy do to not be retained ?
Answer- they both had affairs a year or 2 prior to all this . It had all been but to rest but Apparently their personal business is someone else’s too (Board members)
2- why did the AD (at that time)want them out ?
answer- wasn’t the AD ! Was the Superintendent and a few School Board Members ! AD was their puppet
The AD resigned during all this and now has some kind of computers job in the District .
Obviously there’s so much detail that’s hard to fit in a post .
Skid met with the Superintendent many times . On 3 different occasions they had deals in place to go on with the current staff with only the superintendent to go against his word EVERY time . Skid said Superintendent Ben Richards lied to his face 3 times on agreements . Some of those meetings involved School Board members . Skid eventually resigned his position as HC and retired at the end of the school year . I hear he volunteered some of his time at Tri Village where Andy Keating and Chad Cradlebaugh(also on VV staff under Skid) coach now.

here’s the bottom line -
when Skid was hired as HC almost 50 people applied coming off 2 non winning seasons under Kris Ketron .

last year after this administrations debacle they only had 4 people apply . Moyer was the only one with HC experience . This is with VV winning 77% of games under Skid . Playoffs 4 out of 5 seasons , no losing records . And getting named area COY 4 out of 5 years … 4! People apply !
Thats because the Superintendent had this planned people . They didn’t post the job correctly either … they didn’t have an AD ,he resigned remember ? Superintendent made a 4 person committee compromised of 3 former football players and the baseball coach to find a new Football coach .
The committee suggested they KEEP the current staff but if changes were to be made to go with Moyer . One of those people on that committee spoke at this past Mondays BOE meeting 1-10-22 and said selecting Moyer was a Huge mistake . You can watch that meeting if you don’t believe me . The man Speaking is named Drew Smith a former VV QB and owns Spartan roofing company.

fast forward thru this season . VV had 3 BOE seats up for election in November . Skidmore-Rudd-Smith ran as a 3 person ticket , they ran UNOPPOSED! First board meeting was last Monday for the new members . At this first meeting newly elected and appointed president Rudd made a motion to re-open the VV HC job sighting the unbelievably horrible job the previous BOE and superintendent did last year with the situation . He said all the community has talked about is football for the last year and wants closure . Mentioned how little of a net was cast when Moyer was hired and VV deserved better . Said he is certain that football and weightlifting numbers are down and will continue to fall as he watches kids move to other districts to play . 50 guys applied 5 years ago , 4 last year with 1 of those from within and that is unacceptable .

I’d think this Yappi community can imagine VV is a football town . The Superintendent a few board members and a couple teachers and some residents don’t like that . Instead of trying to prop up whatever it is they have passion for ,they’d rather try and pull down the football program . There’s 3 new Sheriffs in town and Superintendent Richards and the 2 people carried over on the Board have a Rude awakening that started on 1-10-22

this current BOE is fixing the Giant mess that was left behind .

btw - Moyer wasn’t fired .
he can apply just like everyone else . It’s open to applicants till the 21st of January . They got it right by opening this back up .

thoughts on Moyer deserve a different thread

Alk is correct , you need the whole story or at least the major guts to understand what has transpired and why since December of 2020 within the halls of VV.

You also MUST know what happened to Coach Skidmore if you’re going to post on this thread . Skidmore coached 34 years at VV, 29 as an assistant before getting the HC job . Also coached baseball for some time and was a HS Math teacher all 34 years . Not a blemish on his teaching record or coaching records .
-was Coach of the year in D4 southwest district 4 out of 5 seasons , 2017 D4 State COY . 77% winning percentage.

Mid December of 2020 former AD (Brian Lemke) met with Coach Skidmore and told him he didn’t want Andy Keating and Butch Stidham retained and he wants Skid to handle it ?!The only reason given at that time was because they received around 10 anonymous surveys saying “some” assistant coaches were bad role models essentially . These surveys didn’t have any coaches names on them .Yes VV does anonymous surveys to get feedback once the season is over …and the crazier part about that is you can submit one for any sport , meaning if you had a soccer player but wanted to do your own survey on football you could and still can btw and put on the survey anything you’d like in the comments section . Skid asked how with no names being mentioned do we know it’s Butch and Andy they’re referring to ? Lemke the AD tells Skid basically “we know”.
So Skid got ahold of his coaching staff and made them aware of what’s going on and to stay tight lipped about it because he was going to try and rectify the situation in house and didn’t want the public knowing what administration sought .

Answer- they both had affairs a year or 2 prior to all this . It had all been but to rest but Apparently their personal business is someone else’s too (Board members)
answer- wasn’t the AD ! Was the Superintendent and a few School Board Members ! AD was their puppet
The AD resigned during all this and now has some kind of computers job in the District .
Skid met with the Superintendent many times . On 3 different occasions they had deals in place to go on with the current staff with only the superintendent to go against his word EVERY time . Skid said Superintendent Ben Richards lied to his face 3 times on agreements . Some of those meetings involved School Board members . Skid eventually resigned his position as HC and retired at the end of the school year . I hear he volunteered some of his time at Tri Village where Andy Keating and Chad Cradlebaugh(also on VV staff under Skid) coach now.

here’s the bottom line -
when Skid was hired as HC almost 50 people applied coming off 2 non winning seasons under Kris Ketron .

last year after this administrations debacle they only had 4 people apply . Moyer was the only one with HC experience . This is with VV winning 77% of games under Skid . Playoffs 4 out of 5 seasons , no losing records . And getting named area COY 4 out of 5 years … 4! People apply !
Thats because the Superintendent had this planned people . They didn’t post the job correctly either … they didn’t have an AD ,he resigned remember ? Superintendent made a 4 person committee compromised of 3 former football players and the baseball coach to find a new Football coach .
The committee suggested they KEEP the current staff but if changes were to be made to go with Moyer . One of those people on that committee spoke at this past Mondays BOE meeting 1-10-22 and said selecting Moyer was a Huge mistake . You can watch that meeting if you don’t believe me . The man Speaking is named Drew Smith a former VV QB and owns Spartan roofing company.

fast forward thru this season . VV had 3 BOE seats up for election in November . Skidmore-Rudd-Smith ran as a 3 person ticket , they ran UNOPPOSED! First board meeting was last Monday for the new members . At this first meeting newly elected and appointed president Rudd made a motion to re-open the VV HC job sighting the unbelievably horrible job the previous BOE and superintendent did last year with the situation . He said all the community has talked about is football for the last year and wants closure . Mentioned how little of a net was cast when Moyer was hired and VV deserved better . Said he is certain that football and weightlifting numbers are down and will continue to fall as he watches kids move to other districts to play . 50 guys applied 5 years ago , 4 last year with 1 of those from within and that is unacceptable .

I’d think this Yappi community can imagine VV is a football town . The Superintendent a few board members and a couple teachers and some residents don’t like that . Instead of trying to prop up whatever it is they have passion for ,they’d rather try and pull down the football program . There’s 3 new Sheriffs in town and Superintendent Richards and the 2 people carried over on the Board have a Rude awakening that started on 1-10-22

he can apply just like everyone else . It’s open to applicants till the 21st of January . They got it right by opening this back up .

Do they have a committee set up to decide who they interview and then eventually hire? Who is leading this process?

who would that be then?
The BOE President stated he’d see favorable
VV Alum
Minimum 10 years coaching experience
Former VV Coordinator
Present/Former VV Coach of ANY sport
They motioned to have these taken out as “favorable qualifications” but they were discussed.

Do they have a committee set up to decide who they interview and then eventually hire? Who is leading this process?
Like I said sooo many details you can’t possibly get everything in the posts .

BOE president Rudd motion to open up the job came with a recommendation for 7 person committee consisting of
-Superintendent
-AD
-3 booster club members chosen by the booster club
-2 BOE members chosen by the BOE

Skidmore made a motion to REMOVE the Superintendent from the search committee and replace him with the HS principal, the motion passed .

A good head coach candidate will be Valley View’s current AD. Was the Loveland coach when they had all those state runs. Then went to Miami of OH as safeties and STC. Then was at Wisconsin as director of operations/recruiting. Jay was both the AD and Football coach.

Last edited:
A good head coach candidate will be Valley View’s current AD. Was the Loveland coach when they had all those state runs. Then went to Miami of OH as safeties and STC. Then was at Wisconsin as director of operations/recruiting. Jay was both the AD and Football coach.
It’s hearsay but I’ve heard the new AD isn’t very well liked . Kind of a Me me me I ,I ,I guy . Wants the students to call him Coach. Heard a rumor he applied at Twin Valley South for football job and a teaching/admin position .Apparently it didn’t work out and he told TVS he was going to Florida to be closer to family … then turns around and gets the VV AD job . Allegedly TVS contacted him and asked what changed his mind and asked why he took the VV job . Again -allegedly -he said he new Ken Moyer wouldn’t last long and wanted to take over the VV program . Although he has a very nice football background , I don’t think he has that community connection VV is looking for in its new HC .

here’s the bottom line -

I knew 90% of what you posted prior to any post I made. I clearly stated that I thought Keating and Stidham got a raw deal and I thought Skidmore was right to resign in support of his guys. Bottom line, the superintendent and the board members are the villains in this story. I know nothing about Moyer personally, but people I know that know him, have nothing but good things to say about him. Seeking retribution against him for what happened to Skidmore and his staff is the wrong approach and a bad look in my opinion. In fairness, I am not a VV insider. I am simply someone who lives in a neighboring area who has known many players and coaches in the program and has followed them for the last 30 years in appreciation of their success and the program they've built. I think this simply adds to an already ugly scar on what is otherwise an exemplary program. I hope for the sake of the kids and the community, the program can get past what is essentially a pissing match between so few members of the community.