Valley View (1-1) vs Hamilton Ross (2-0)

Who wins?

• Valley View

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Ross

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

IRLMN1999

Valley View coming off a frustrating loss to Milton-Union Friday where they had multiple TD’s called back because of penalties and questionable play calling in the final minutes while in + territory, Ross coming off two solid wins to start their season. Don’t know much about Ross so any insight will help. VV seems to be in for a tough season so I’d imagine Ross seems poised to get another W Friday night. Thoughts?

Ross has a very young team. 17 first time starters and most are seeing their first bit of Friday night lights. Very hard working bunch that quite honestly out competed their first two opponents. Not a very big team per se, but they work hard and do their job. Triple option team so VV is going to have to play assignment d. 4 kids that touch the ball can all house it if given the opening. D continues to improve and was able to shut down a Monroe team that was very solid Albeit a little soft and out of shape. Fraasman is the straw that stirs the drink on offense but he has good athletes surrounding him. Without knowing much about VV i expect a rough physical game Friday.

This isn't the same Ross team as last year but they follow a similar MO. They will be a little loose defensively, give up some yards and points, but they will pound you offensively. Not as big up front as last year, but not small either and some solid dudes to tote the rock. VV seems to still be adjusting to the coaching and system change and I think Ross will be another tough challenge for them. I'll take Ross by a score, but this should be a heck of a game and I wouldn't be surprised to see VV pull it out either.

Ross has a very young team. 17 first time starters and most are seeing their first bit of Friday night lights. Very hard working bunch that quite honestly out competed their first two opponents. Not a very big team per se, but they work hard and do their job. Triple option team so VV is going to have to play assignment d. 4 kids that touch the ball can all house it if given the opening. D continues to improve and was able to shut down a Monroe team that was very solid Albeit a little soft and out of shape. Fraasman is the straw that stirs the drink on offense but he has good athletes surrounding him. Without knowing much about VV i expect a rough physical game Friday.
Thanks for the info! VV is not like the old VV teams people around this area are used to seeing. Gone is the run and shoot option offense and insert a pass heavy 4-5 wide air raid attack… VV has a Sophomore QB who can scramble and has a rocket launcher attached to his shoulder, they also have a very nice WR who has a size advantage over almost anyone he goes up against (I believe he’s 6-6?). VV will throw it the vast majority of times and will only try to run to set up pass. Situational play calling still rough for VV. Our D is sound against the run but allowed MU to beat them over the top with broken coverage TD passes. Based on what you say I expect the same scores VV had the past few weeks. 30-27, 27-21 type games. Could go either way.

Based on what I saw from Valley View vs MU, this Valley View team is much better than most VV faithful want to admit. They have a nice RB, WR, QB, and they have size.
If not for some mental mistakes, they would've beat Milton by 7-14 points.
If they eliminate the mental mishaps, they are a very dangerous team. Defense is very good.
I'd say, Valley View by a score.

Valley View coming off a frustrating loss to Milton-Union Friday where they had multiple TD’s called back because of penalties and questionable play calling in the final minutes while in + territory, Ross coming off two solid wins to start their season. Don’t know much about Ross so any insight will help. VV seems to be in for a tough season so I’d imagine Ross seems poised to get another W Friday night. Thoughts?
With all that in mind, we had the ball going to a wide open WR in the end zone to win the game. They definitely had their opportunities to win the game.

Based on what I saw from Valley View vs MU, this Valley View team is much better than most VV faithful want to admit. They have a nice RB, WR, QB, and they have size.
If they eliminate the mental mishaps, they are a very dangerous team. Defense is very good.
To me, this is exactly what has held VV back at times over the years. They always have a quality QB with good skill players around him. It's not a question of their ability to win, it's often the mentality to not have costly penalties and turnovers. When they've lost close games, these are often the issues that raise their heads. To beat the best teams, you have to play disciplined football.

It’s not that I don’t think they’re talented, they for sure are, it’s just that I think it’s clear the coaching is a step down from last year and in a lot of cases Friday night the lack of situational awareness (in my personal opinion) when it came to play calling was what I was referring to. I think against good competition (MU (loss) Ross, Eaton, Brookville, and Bellbrook) this could come back and cost them a win. If they don’t clean it up, a 5-5 record is on the docket and to me that’s a very rough season for VV standards

It’s not that I don’t think they’re talented, they for sure are, it’s just that I think it’s clear the coaching is a step down from last year and in a lot of cases Friday night the lack of situational awareness (in my personal opinion) when it came to play calling was what I was referring to. I think against good competition (MU (loss) Ross, Eaton, Brookville, and Bellbrook) this could come back and cost them a win. If they don’t clean it up, a 5-5 record is on the docket and to me that’s a very rough season for VV standards
There's also probably a little of this having to do with their youth as well. The Spartans have a strong junior class and are starting a sophomore QB. They'll have some growing to do, and quickly.

I wish Ross had more of a following on here. By all accounts, they sound like they'll have another playoff team this year.

Think the Spartans will be more focused after last week. The running game still concerns me Ross will be a good gauging point.

VV struggled against the pass a little bit against MU. Will Ross throw the ball much? My understanding is they're a running team.

VV struggled against the pass a little bit against MU. Will Ross throw the ball much? My understanding is they're a running team.
No. I think they threw the ball a total of less than 20 times all year last year. QB is a converted RB. They are straight old school, triple option. According to the SWOC website, they have thrown the ball 6 times this year as compared to 97 rushing attempts.

There's also probably a little of this having to do with their youth as well. The Spartans have a strong junior class and are starting a sophomore QB. They'll have some growing to do, and quickly.
That's it, lol? Just one soph? Ross is starting 6 sophs(with a couple others rotating in), 9 Jrs, and 7 Srs. They even have a freshman that comes in for certain formations. I guess my point is Ross is pretty darn young but they will show up and fight. Past that I do not think I am ready to give any other certainties. Looking forward to coming up to VV though, only been for wrestling so should be a good trip

Ross parent here but kids are still in elementary school.

Given Valley View's history of success, I was excited to see this game be scheduled and hope it continues beyond a short series. Ross will need to fill half it's schedule out of conference indefinitely so the opportunity should be there.

I've been watching the team from a distance and I have been impressed to see the growth of a true program under the leadership of Coach Commins and his staff. The few years I followed scores etc. before he came along the program seemed to be on rocky ground, with success only coming when they had better raw talent. With some population growth from families coming from the Colerain area among others, the future looks bright.

The power running game has worked well as part of the team strategy and I think they will line up and try to pound the ball again this week.

Sounds like Valley View has quick strike ability so Rams will need to keep up on scoring-which they have done before as they have lots of playmakers who touch the ball and can take it the distance.

Defense has definitely been the Achilles of the team the past few years, as they seem to bend don't break and are susceptible to big plays/busted coverage.

Looking forward to a great high school football game. Might come down to the final possession and the turnover battle.

That's it, lol? Just one soph? Ross is starting 6 sophs(with a couple others rotating in), 9 Jrs, and 7 Srs. They even have a freshman that comes in for certain formations. I guess my point is Ross is pretty darn young but they will show up and fight. Past that I do not think I am ready to give any other certainties. Looking forward to coming up to VV though, only been for wrestling so should be a good trip
Great place to watch a high school football game. Hopefully the community is still out in full force after all of the turmoil in the off-season. Use to be like a ghost town when VV was at home on a Friday night.

I wouldn't say that's VV's only young player starting. I meant more that they replaced a great deal from last season and have a lot of youth in key positions such as QB.

Ross - 7
VV - 3
Middle 1st

Ross broke 75 yard TD run
VV drove and stalled in a goal-to-go situation, settled for FG