USSSA vs ASA Certified Bats

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
I don't normally pay much attention to this bat drama but went to a game yesterday where a bat was deemed illegal. Apparently the league uses one set of rules and the bat was stamped with the other organization.

How are bats certified? Are the organizations causing drama for no real reason? It was crazy that this girl purchased a bat because it was legal in the Little League tournament but some Fall Ball league calls it an illegal bat because it doesn't have the right stamp.

Typically, as long as there is a USA softball stamp the umps let it fly. I can't remember the bat, but I think it was one of the Ghost bats, that USSSA deemed illegal, basically that it was too hot, dangerously hot. I thought they issued a newer version that USSSA certified, but I can't say for sure.

I don't normally pay much attention to this bat drama but went to a game yesterday where a bat was deemed illegal. Apparently the league uses one set of rules and the bat was stamped with the other organization.

How are bats certified? Are the organizations causing drama for no real reason? It was crazy that this girl purchased a bat because it was legal in the Little League tournament but some Fall Ball league calls it an illegal bat because it doesn't have the right stamp.

The Bats most of time have to have the USSSA or USA Stamp on them. I have also heard that USSSA or USA Bats do not mix well with different types of softballs. Example USSSA Bats being used to hit USA softballs is a bad/unsafe combo. Most of my softball info comes from friends who Umpire. Softball used to line the Bats up and “check” them before every Tournament/Game guess this not done every time anymore. It amazes me the number of Teams/Coaches that will sign up for a Tournament without knowing the Rules/Bat restrictions for that Tournament.

The Bats most of time have to have the USSSA or USA Stamp on them. I have also heard that USSSA or USA Bats do not mix well with different types of softballs. Example USSSA Bats being used to hit USA softballs is a bad/unsafe combo. Most of my softball info comes from friends who Umpire. Softball used to line the Bats up and “check” them before every Tournament/Game guess this not done every time anymore. It amazes me the number of Teams/Coaches that will sign up for a Tournament without knowing the Rules/Bat restrictions for that Tournament.
This is the key part of your statement...Coaches need to understand the division of play and the rules associated with that play so they can avoid these issues.
With bat testing it is done with BPF. The cor,/comp of a ball tested will determine the BPF Bat Performance Factor.
Here is an example: a bat tested with a .50CORE/500COMP ball may test out at well over ASA/NSA/USSSA limits however use a 35cor 375 comp ball it will be within limits. They are looking for exit speeds off the bat. Super hot bats will increase ball compression at impact resulting in increased exit speeds and with the (safety ball initiative)it speeds up the decline or break up of the ball.

As far as ball/bat unsafe combo that is not really true. It's more that HP bats will elongate or distort the ball after several innings of play causing more balls to be needed per game costing more $$$. You will be challenged to find any bat MFG. say our bats can only strike a ball X COR. X COMP.

Last edited: