Updates: Marion Local (15-0) vs. Kirtland (15-0) (12/3/22)

Kirtland ball on their own 2 yard line

1-pass 3 yards, out of bounds
2-pass incomplete
3-pass incomplete
4-penalty... delay of game
4-pass complete but short of first down, turnover on downs

0:09 4Q

Would be helpful if you knew the rule.
My bad if the rule is that after the toe touches and if any other part of the foot is out of bounds it's an incomplete. But as others have noted he may have got the heel in bounds by a hair. Clearly it warranted a video review or why have review?

My point, which you missed, is that the coaches KNOW there is instant replay and that it is supposed to be used at crucial points of the game. This was a crucial point of the game. It was reasonable that the Kirtand coaches would expect a review of that play. Instead the end result was that Kirtland lost a critical timeout. A timeout that would have given them a few extra plays at the end to try to tie the game.

BTW, congratulations to Marion Local. A truly exceptional football program.

My bad if the rule is that after the toe touches and if any other part of the foot is out of bounds it's an incomplete. But as others have noted he may have got the heel in bounds by a hair. Clearly it warranted a video review or why have review?

My point, which you missed, is that the coaches KNOW there is instant replay and that it is supposed to be used at crucial points of the game. This was a crucial point of the game. It was reasonable that the Kirtand coaches would expect a review of that play. Instead the end result was that Kirtland lost a critical timeout. A timeout that would have given them a few extra plays at the end to try to tie the game.

BTW, congratulations to Marion Local. A truly exceptional football program.
Kirtland could have had 10 more plays and the outcome would have still been the same.
Number 13 for MSML. Without the fumble your final is 14-0.
MSML coach made a mistake when he didn't kick the field goal from the 4 in the 1st qtr.
That was nothing more than an extra point and I doubt the wind would have affected it.
Thirteen titles won on the field. Congratulations to the Flyers. An awesome accomplishment.
Maria Stein A True City Of Champions.

Last edited:
Kirtland could have had 10 more plays and the outcome would have still been the same.
MSML coach made a mistake when he didn't kick the field goal from the 4 in the 1st qtr.
That was nothing more than an extra point and I doubt the wind would have affected it.
Thirteen titles won on the field. Congratulations to the Flyers. An awesome accomplishment.
A True City Of Champions.
You could say the same about the pick 6 without that it's 7-0 final

A True City Of Champions.
I don't have a dog in this fight. I always make it a point to watch these small school championship games particularly when two exceptional programs like Marion Local & Kirtland are playing. Not only are they entertaining as heck but the display of sound football fundamentals is a breath of fresh air.

And from what I could see the pick 6 was what made the difference on the scoreboard between these two teams.

My only point was that after watching three and a half quarters of exceptional football played by two extraordinarily well coached up teams the officials on that one play should have called for a review and ruled it either a completion or in-completion and not created the circumstances under which Kirtland lost a TO.

So that makes it 27 total titles for Mercer County, which puts them at 3rd in the state(Hamilton-33 and Cuyahoga 30)

Marion Local 13
Coldwater. 7
St.Henry 6
Fort Recovery 1

Y'all know massilllOn yappsters die a little bit inside they show or talk about the most titles and they are not mentioned....
Massillon had their days of glory and still has a great program.
Marion Local has been getting it done for the last 15 or so years.
Their fans have enjoyed a great run.

Last edited:
Y'all know massilllOn yappsters die a little bit inside they show or talk about the most titles and they are not mentioned....
I wonder what those Massillon guys are going to come up with after ML gets #24 at the rate their going it should come within the next 17 or 18 years.lol

So that makes it 27 total titles for Mercer County, which puts them at 3rd in the state(Hamilton-33 and Cuyahoga 30)

Marion Local 13
Coldwater. 7
St.Henry 6
Fort Recovery 1
Mercer County has only six school districts. They had seven (Mendon) until the mid-90s, but the Pirates never fielded a football team.

How many districts do Hamilton and Cuyahoga each have?

I don't have a dog in this fight. I always make it a point to watch these small school championship games particularly when two exceptional programs like Marion Local & Kirtland are playing. Not only are they entertaining as heck but the display of sound football fundamentals is a breath of fresh air.

And from what I could see the pick 6 was what made the difference on the scoreboard between these two teams.

My only point was that after watching three and a half quarters of exceptional football played by two extraordinarily well coached up teams the officials on that one play should have called for a review and ruled it either a completion or in-completion and not created the circumstances under which Kirtland lost a TO.
What makes you think they didn't watch it in the booth and called down to say the original call was correct?

Mercer County has only six school districts. They had seven (Mendon) until the mid-90s, but the Pirates never fielded a football team.

How many districts do Hamilton and Cuyahoga each have?
Celina played in the finals vs brecksville and Tom tupa....I was in attendance... So all 6 have made a tile game.

Did you consider that it was looked at in the booth and determined that it did not warrant a review?

I wonder what those Massillon guys are going to come up with after ML gets #24 at the rate their going it should come within the next 17 or 18 years.lol
Sigh...again, MSML is a program that directly benefited from watered-down playoffs. While I'm no supporter of Massillon, at least they compete with the best teams in the state. MSML has maybe one championship from DV?

Sigh...again, MSML is a program that directly benefited from watered-down playoffs. While I'm no supporter of Massillon, at least they compete with the best teams in the state. MSML has maybe one championship from DV?
And masslilOn benefited when there was just a vote by the good ole boys club.

One team has won titles, 13, on the field and the other hasn't.

Ya ain't gonna be able to rain on the MACs parade so I don't know why ya even try
.win in field>voted #1.

MSML didn’t water down the playoffs. They are kicking #** in the world the OHSAA created. God speed to them.

Yes, they are the best of the rest!
Lol, the playoffs are just as watered down for everyone else, but I don't see anyone else producing those results.

To tell the truth though, I agree. 100 teams in a division? I consider getting third as a team in a sport like XC or Track where there is ~250 'teams' (as defined by OHSAA; Probably closer to 300 in reality) atleast equal in difficulty to a state championship in football. I don't see how a program can claim to be the best and not be the best of 100 even once.

Did you consider that it was looked at in the booth and determined that it did not warrant a review?
I did but then none of the refs appeared to tell the Kirtland coach that. He was clearly trying to stall to get a review and ended up losing a TO because of it. That was my original beef.