Updated RPI Rankings for NW District (thru 1.24)

braygatron4

1611579337168.jpeg

1611579357314.jpeg

1611579378551.jpeg

1611579398664.jpeg

1611579411556.jpeg

I mentioned this many of times - I am so interested to see how/who shakes out if Div. IV. It's been a long time since there's been this many teams capable of a run. And the amount of early, slobber knocker match ups is incredible. This is what makes NW Ohio so much different. You typically don't see many good games in other areas until the regional tourney. In central Ohio it's sometimes the Regional final. There's going to be sectional semi's and final games that are really, really good in NW.

Yeah, it's honestly a pretty crappy way to format a tournament. The Elida District will, again, be tougher than Regionals. In the past 16 years, the regional champion has come out of the Elida District 10 times. In the other 6 years, 2 of those there was no Elida District, and another year the Elida District went to the SW region.

All teams in the NW District should be seeded region-wide, that way each district is leveled out & provides a fair & equal path to Regionals/State. The top 4 teams in Elida, 2 teams in Defiance, & 2 teams in Wapak are better than any team in the Willard District. The Willard District champ will be able to cruise straight to regionals, where they'll get beat by 20+.

Only way to seed teams region-wide is to get rid of the coach's vote for seeding purposes and use an objective metric instead of subjective votes from coach's. RPI fixes all these problems. And don't even give me the "longer travel times" argument, because I guarantee you 90% of coaches & AD's would prefer longer drives if it meant better probability for a trip to State. They did the long travel times in football playoffs this year too and wasn't any issues with that.

Yeah, it's honestly a pretty crappy way to format a tournament. The Elida District will, again, be tougher than Regionals. In the past 16 years, the regional champion has come out of the Elida District 10 times. In the other 6 years, 2 of those there was no Elida District, and another year the Elida District went to the SW region.

All teams in the NW District should be seeded region-wide, that way each district is leveled out & provides a fair & equal path to Regionals/State. The top 4 teams in Elida, 2 teams in Defiance, & 2 teams in Wapak are better than any team in the Willard District. The Willard District champ will be able to cruise straight to regionals, where they'll get beat by 20+.

Only way to seed teams region-wide is to get rid of the coach's vote for seeding purposes and use an objective metric instead of subjective votes from coach's. RPI fixes all these problems. And don't even give me the "longer travel times" argument, because I guarantee you 90% of coaches & AD's would prefer longer drives if it meant better probability for a trip to State. They did the long travel times in football playoffs this year too and wasn't any issues with that.

Willard winner will also be going to the NE region this year, not the NW. Findlay has some very good teams as well that will go to the NW Regional.

What baffles me is that there isn't a uniform, statewide regulation on the tournament. You have districts doing different formats in every division.

Willard winner will also be going to the NE region this year, not the NW. Findlay has some very good teams as well that will go to the NW Regional.

What baffles me is that there isn't a uniform, statewide regulation on the tournament. You have districts doing different formats in every division.

If any of the teams that feed into the Findlay District had Ottoville's schedule this year, they'd be lucky to be much over .500

Too bad all those good teams are in Elida. They should have Ottoville, Crestview, and a couple others down with Mercer county teams, but too bad. Going to be heart break for many teams.

If any of the teams that feed into the Findlay District had Ottoville's schedule this year, they'd be lucky to be much over .500

yes, very, very good schedule...but I wouldn’t discount anyone, especially after having to make it through a meat-grinder district.

coulda swore TCC was DI last year...

with how they’ve been playing recently (and the fact that nearly all of their earlier games were against really good DI programs like gahanna lincoln or lue) I think they could honestly make a modest run this year. Would love to see them play Rossford!

I’m really really excited to see who gets out of the meat grinder that is the DI NW district.That should be really good competition for everyone involved.

Agree 100%. Snodgrass had told me that the OHSAA has been working on a “regional concept” where all tournaments with all 800 playing teams is conducted the same way from a seeding, bracketing, and placement standpoint. He said the Board has been pretty lukewarm about it to this point, but the legal advice they received was “how a team gets to the regional tournament from the NE District and how a team gets to the regional tournament from the NW district needs to be the same.”

The two main hurdles to all this, according to them, is it would all be very costly and difficult to build a mathematical system to do this (not that hard, I did it lol).

But the main issue comes down to administrators—their #1 priority is academics, and then Athletics. So with all the extra travel time and with it being nearly impossible to play every tournament game on weekends/non school nights, you gotta make sure teams get home at a decent time. So until you get an administrator or two on these District Athletic Boards that’s willing to think outside the box, nothing will change. And they’re going to want to stick with how it is now, because that’s the easy way out. Even if it means the tournament format they have holds zero logic and teams don’t have a fair & equal shot to regionals/state...

Agree 100%. Snodgrass had told me that the OHSAA has been working on a “regional concept” where all tournaments with all 800 playing teams is conducted the same way from a seeding, bracketing, and placement standpoint. He said the Board has been pretty lukewarm about it to this point, but the legal advice they received was “how a team gets to the regional tournament from the NE District and how a team gets to the regional tournament from the NW district needs to be the same.”

The two main hurdles to all this, according to them, is it would all be very costly and difficult to build a mathematical system to do this (not that hard, I did it lol).

But the main issue comes down to administrators—their #1 priority is academics, and then Athletics. So with all the extra travel time and with it being nearly impossible to play every tournament game on weekends/non school nights, you gotta make sure teams get home at a decent time. So until you get an administrator or two on these District Athletic Boards that’s willing to think outside the box, nothing will change. And they’re going to want to stick with how it is now, because that’s the easy way out. Even if it means the tournament format they have holds zero logic and teams don’t have a fair & equal shot to regionals/state...

Well Jerry is gone.....you can bet that the OHSAA isn't "working" on anything except ways to make them more $$$. Jerry was the one guy that actually cared about the teams, schools and student athletes. He's out....don't expect good to come from that organization now

Well Jerry is gone.....you can bet that the OHSAA isn't "working" on anything except ways to make them more $$$. Jerry was the one guy that actually cared about the teams, schools and student athletes. He's out....don't expect good to come from that organization now

And that’s the sad reality of it all.

Why did they even bump him out in the first place?

They had a meeting on July 7th to get their plans in place to get fall sports started back up. The day before, on July 6th, they let him go. Members of the Board thought he would be an impediment to getting fall sports started just because he listened to DeWine's recommendation to cancel the remaining winter tournaments and spring seasons. Even though that would not have been the case, and Snodgrass was 100% for having fall sports. He's aware the fall sports season is the biggest revenue makeup compared to winter/spring sports.

They had a meeting on July 7th to get their plans in place to get fall sports started back up. The day before, on July 6th, they let him go. Members of the Board thought he would be an impediment to getting fall sports started just because he listened to DeWine's recommendation to cancel the remaining winter tournaments and spring seasons. Even though that would not have been the case, and Snodgrass was 100% for having fall sports. He's aware the fall sports season is the biggest revenue makeup compared to winter/spring sports.
That's effed up.

That's effed up.
Here's another crazy fact. I was listening to Snodgrass on a podcast recently and it turns out that he was barred from going to any OHSAA events this fall and had to get permission from the OHSAA office themselves if he wanted to attend an event. I have never heard of that happening to anybody before.

Here's another crazy fact. I was listening to Snodgrass on a podcast recently and it turns out that he was barred from going to any OHSAA events this fall and had to get permission from the OHSAA office themselves if he wanted to attend an event. I have never heard of that happening to anybody before.
What!??? That amount of disrespect is unreal!

Division II Buckeye Valley (11-2) downed Tiffin Calvert (11-3) last night 63-55, but TC held in there all game long. It was 30-27 at half and a 2-4pt game most of the way. BV didn't miss from 3-point land and it was the difference. I like the smaller schools playing some of the bigger ones this year.

After Grove's W against Lincolnview & Antwerp's W over Botkins, the new Top 10 in DIV after last night's games:

1. Grove, .8328
2. Antwerp, .8305
3. Tol. Christian, .8279
4. Ottoville, .8129
5. Old Fort, .7750
6. Kalida, .7743
7. Lincolnview, .7669
8. South Central, .7478
9. Crestview, .7473
10. St. Henry, .7460

Very strong top 4. Any of those 4 could beat each other on any given night. Not a lot of separation between them