Up Next: Hoban vs. X post-playoff regular season game

4GX

Now that both X and Hoban have completed their OHSAA-sponsored playoff activity, and have not yet availed themselves of ANY of the three games that the OHSAA permitted all OHSAA members to schedule (if they wished), after finishing their respective football playoff runs, why can’t X and Hoban schedule a regular season game for next weekend, if they so choose?

It could have taken place this past weekend— but even next weekend would be within the ”normal” window that the OHSAA regularly schedules HS football games (e.g.- the OHSAA usually holds the state championship finals a week into December)... there would be nothing unusual about such a game— it;s just like the other post-playoff “regular season” games that other schools have scheduled, after finishing THEIR respective playoff activity— why can’t X and Hoban do the same, now?

I’ve heard (from people on this forum, from Northeast Ohio) that Hoban would never agree to play X (meaning next year), because “Hoban loses too much” (in the way of senior players), while X has nearly 75% of its starters from this year’s state championship team returning next year—OK then, how about THIS YEAR? (I know, I know— it’s not gonna happen— that doesn’t mean that it COULDN’T have happened— if somebody had thought of it soon enough— and TRIED to make it happen.)

That's not arbitrary. That was the rules set up in August. That all schools agreed to before playing.

Pretty sure getting the season over earlier was part of the deal to be able to play.

That's not arbitrary. That was the rules set up in August. That all schools agreed to before playing.

Pretty sure getting the season over earlier was part of the deal to be able to play.
Yes= that was the purpose-- to end before Thanksgiving– because visionaries like Acton, DeWine, and Fauci fully expected this epidemic to return even more harshly in the fall/winter— they have been proven correct... of course there are going to be administrative reasons to say (officially) ”it won’t happen”— my point is that, from a practical perspective, if the schools wanted to play, they could have done so— with or without the OHSAA’s blessing— without affecting anything else (except the same risk of spreading the virus that ALL other games have presented so far this fall)— in fact, some winters sports have been suspended until next year (e.g.- Indian Hll).

The Schools you are speaking of usually follow OHSAA Rules. If they didn’t follow OHSAA Rules and “Scheduled” this game outside of those Rules they would probably have a hard time finding men&women to Officiate the Game. Also I would be willing to bet that both Schools would be down players from quarantine or winter sports. Pointless games if both Teams not at “full strength” for one reason or another.

I'm sure he had a face-to-face with Coach Specht about this already.

I'm also sure that Coach Specht was all in with jeopardizing the eligibility of his kids for not only football but for future sports (multi-sport seniors) just so some internet fool can get his jollies about "which team is the best".

Last edited:
Hoban isn’t in his so called “unlimited division.” Mater Dei and IMG always look to fill theirs and step up And they would be in your so called “unlimited division.” I’m sure X’s AD will be in contact with them soon. Go do to them what you brag about them doing to Pick Central just because they matched up well and had a good game then come back and talk. Either one would put a runner on them by halftime would be my guess

Last edited:
The is as dumb as people who call for a great national champion to play the worst NFL team...
There are always plenty of small-minded people, who can’t envision anything new or different happening— everything at all different is “dumb” to them. Of course there are plenty of those on Yappi— they are many of the same people who said for years that an Ohio HS state championship football playoff, with every team automatically entered could not (and should not) be done (despite the fact that many other states have done it for years)— and yet we just had one, that went fine (except for the inability of fans to attend in numbers)... the most vocal ones against anything new are ALWAYS those who have benefited most (aka won the most) under the current systems— that usually means the supporters of the smaller schools in Ohio.

Of course it‘s not going to happen (even though it would have been no more disruptive to the two teams’ players’, coaches’, and officials’ other activities than a “normal” season schedule would have been)— I said that from the start— but it would attract enormous interest, if the game were to be held— and large numbers of people would watch (and comment on it here), if it WERE held— so there is nothing dumb about it— but I take from your comment that you think that the gulf between Hoban and X is as large as the gulf between Clemson or Alabama and the NY Jets or Cincinnati Bengals— very surprised to hear you say that—i’d say that the two teams are much closer tHan that.

There are always plenty of small-minded people, who can’t envision anything new or different happening— everything at all different is “dumb” to them. Of course there are plenty of those on Yappi— they are many of the same people who said for years that an Ohio HS state championship football playoff, with every team automatically entered could not (and should not) be done (despite the fact that many other states have done it for years)— and yet we just had one, that went fine (except for the inability of fans to attend in numbers)... the most vocal ones against anything new are ALWAYS those who have benefited most (aka won the most) under the current systems— that usually means the supporters of the smaller schools in Ohio.

Of course it‘s not going to happen (even though it would have been no more disruptive to the two teams’ players’, coaches’, and officials’ other activities than a “normal” season schedule would have been)— I said that from the start— but it would attract enormous interest, if the game were to be held— and large numbers of people would watch (and comment on it here), if it WERE held— so there is nothing dumb about it— but I take from your comment that you think that the gulf between Hoban and X is as large as the gulf between Clemson or Alabama and the NY Jets or Cincinnati Bengals— very surprised to hear you say that—i’d say that the two teams are much closer tHan that.
There’s no gap between IMG and Mater Dei as compared to X. Get them on there

Hoban isn’t in his so called “unlimited division.” Mater Dei and IMG always look to fill theirs and step up And they would be in your so called “unlimited division.” I’m sure X’s AD will be in contact with them soon. Go do to them what you brag about them doing to Pick Central just because they matched up well and had a good game then come back and talk. Either one would put a runner on them by halftime would be my guess
X has played teams exactly like this (state champions from other states, including NJ, AL, MD, IN, CA, PA, MI, FL, KY, IL, TN, etc,— and beaten or played close games with many of them)— so, despite your constant talk about knowing so much about HS football, you don’t seem to know anything about who X plays— or will play. The only limitation that X has really put on playing these kinds of games is that X (per OHSAA rules) is NOT allowed to travel more than a certain distance beyond Ohio borders to play games— so most (though not all) of these games have to be scheduled here in Ohio— which means that a team like IMG would have to be willing to travel here to play X... X has traveled to Louisville, Nashville, and Indianapolis in recent years, to play state champions from those states— but is not allowed to travel to CA, FL, AL, NJ, MD, IL to play in those states.

X has played teams exactly like this (state champions from other states, including NJ, AL, MD, IN, CA, PA, MI, FL, KY, IL, TN, etc,— and beaten or played close games with many of them)— so, despite your constant talk about knowing so much about HS football, you don’t seem to know anything about who X plays— or will play. The only limitation that X has really put on playing these kinds of games is that X (per OHSAA rules) is NOT allowed to travel more than a certain distance beyond Ohio borders to play games— so most (though not all) of these games have to be scheduled here in Ohio— which means that a team like IMG would have to be willing to travel here to play X... X has traveled to Louisville, Nashville, and Indianapolis in recent years, to play state champions from those states— but is not allowed to travel to CA, FL, AL, NJ, MD, IL to play in those states.
Those teams will travel anywhere. X would get smashed by either but when you demolish both of those, come back and talk

X fans when you mention IMG or Mater Dei

tZOS8.gif

Those teams will travel anywhere. X would get smashed by either but when you demolish both of those, come back and talk
They don’t always agree to travel wherever to play whomever— it’s not up to X about playing those teams— both are far enough away that the other school would have to initiate the contact about playing. X has played St. John Bosco and Don Bosco here in Cincinnati. X played Lakeland FL (the two-time defending FL state champs at the time- with four future NFL players, including two All-Pros, on their roster at the tIme— that team was the IMG of FL at that time— the game went to OT)...

They don’t always agree to travel wherever to play whomever— it’s not up to X about playing those teams— both are far enough away that the other school would have to initiate the contact about playing. X has played St. John Bosco and Don Bosco here in Cincinnati. X played Lakeland FL (the two-time defending FL state champs at the time- with four future NFL players, including two All-Pros, on their roster at the tIme— that team was the IMG of FL at that time— the game went to OT)...
Might have been the IMG of Florida but they are not IMG. That team is weak compared to IMG. I’d be impressed if X would even schedule either but I already know the outcome

tZOS8.gif
You‘re just showing your ignorance— over and over again— X has played over a dozen teams of similar level over the years— and held its own in all but one of of those games (which was a game played without X’s starting QB, now starting at Penn State, and 3 starting X offensive lineman who went on to play in college Division I, including one at Clemson)— I don’t claim that X would beat either of those teams (in fact, I know X almost certainly wouldn’t)— but X has never shrunk from playing those types of teams.

Might have been the IMG of Florida but they are not IMG. That team is weak compared to IMG. I’d be impressed if X would even schedule either but I already know the outcome
You don’t know— because X HAS scheduled such teams in the last 15 years, over and over again. You don’t know anything about what Lakeland had in 2006– I doubt IMG was better than Lakeland that year.

tZOS8.gif

Nah, most reasonable X fans (note I said REASONABLE) aren't running around beating our chests about this year's team. How could you? For gosh sake they lost to TWO Indiana teams (one of which was a lower division team)!!! Of course there is one guy who won't shut his mouth about anything - I guess freedom of speech does have it's drawbacks ...

Mater Dei or IMG vs X would look like X vs Pick Central score, if not worse. Fact
Probably right, but no matter what someone tries to argue, they're athlete factories, not local high schools. People who complain about the Catholics in Ohio getting kids from a few different counties would lose their about those two, Gorman in Vegas, etc.

Probably right, but no matter what someone tries to argue, they're athlete factories, not local high schools. People who complain about the Catholics in Ohio getting kids from a few different counties would lose their about those two, Gorman in Vegas, etc.
Mater Dei is catholic just like them

Mater Dei is catholic just like them
Yes, Catholic, but I was using those as the teams that most people complain about recruiting from multiple counties. California has some, um, interesting, transfer rules which enable teams like St John Bosco, Mater Dei, and De LaSalle to have top recruits transfer in for football season. They do not have to live in the area, only stay in the area during the season, even if just with a host family. They can then transfer back to their home schools for the rest of the semester. Basically, play on an all star team to try to get a college scholarship and go back to wherever you came from after. Like I said, they're factories for athletic scholarships, and no one who doesn't have that same advantage should be able to hang with a team like that.