University of Dayton Football

ghsknightsfan

love the Knights and Grey Ghosts!
always wondered why they are never “playoff” good in the FCS. Ohio as a whole are very fertile recruiting grounds. YSU is the only other FCS program in Ohio.

they consistently lose players they offered to D2 schools. i figure this is because they can’t offer scholarships? why can’t a school like UD afford them, anyways? they make plenty from basketball. i truly think they could be a powerhouse at the FCS level if they would decide to be a scholarship program.

They were solid when in Div III but when forced to make the move up it didn't work out too well. None of the Catholic urban FCS schools seem to do much in football and you think they could do better, places like Georgetown, Fordham, and Duquesne are .500ish and you would think they could tap into the Catholic HS football scene to get some players.

They were solid when in Div III but when forced to make the move up it didn't work out too well. None of the Catholic urban FCS schools seem to do much in football and you think they could do better, places like Georgetown, Fordham, and Duquesne are .500ish and you would think they could tap into the Catholic HS football scene to get some players.
i would agree with that. but i’m sure not being able to offer scholarships hurts more than anything. wonder why they can’t give out money?

always wondered why they are never “playoff” good in the FCS. Ohio as a whole are very fertile recruiting grounds. YSU is the only other FCS program in Ohio.

they consistently lose players they offered to D2 schools. i figure this is because they can’t offer scholarships? why can’t a school like UD afford them, anyways? they make plenty from basketball. i truly think they could be a powerhouse at the FCS level if they would decide to be a scholarship program.
I never understood this as well.

Being FCS and not offering scholarships puts them at a serious disadvantage.

My grandfather playing for UD when it was St. Mary's.

1671544748023.png

might as well just play at the D3 level if you don’t offer scholarships
The NCAA changed the rules in the early '90s, if you have a Div I sport(s) you cannot play in Div III. UD won national titles in Div III during the '70s and '80s and many said they had an unfair advantage due to Div I facilities. I think many of the schools in their conference were in the same boat.

Duquesne's facilities are a complete joke. I would say 95% of the high schools in Ohio have nicer stadiums than they do.

The entire league that Dayton is in (Pioneer) is this way. They offer scholarships for all sports except football. Kind of weird.

I honestly don't know that they could afford to try to be a scholarship program.

FCS football has 63 scholarships plus I assume they'd have to add 2-3 more non-revenue women's scholarship sports to balance it out. UD hoops has a massive local following, but virtually all of those folks are watching Ohio State and/or Notre Dame football on Saturdays.

Also keep in mind that Dayton Public Schools owns the stadium that they use, regardless of it being on site with UD Arena. They would need to cough up major $$$ IMO for football facility improvements if they tried to be a credible FCS scholarship program.

I honestly don't know that they could afford to try to be a scholarship program.

FCS football has 63 scholarships plus I assume they'd have to add 2-3 more non-revenue women's scholarship sports to balance it out. UD hoops has a massive local following, but virtually all of those folks are watching Ohio State and/or Notre Dame football on Saturdays.

Also keep in mind that Dayton Public Schools owns the stadium that they use, regardless of it being on site with UD Arena. They would need to cough up major $$$ IMO for football facility improvements if they tried to be a credible FCS scholarship program.
They would have to leave their conference too.

I was unaware but noted from the high school football forum, Welcome Stadium is undergoing a massive renovation costing nearly $45 million.

I assume UD is technically a tenant at the facility and has to pay DPS. Their rental cost is going to go up dramatically.

The NCAA changed the rules in the early '90s, if you have a Div I sport(s) you cannot play in Div III. UD won national titles in Div III during the '70s and '80s and many said they had an unfair advantage due to Div I facilities. I think many of the schools in their conference were in the same boat.
has little to do with facilities. It was more that you could have scholarship athletes in one sport, participating in another. i.e. the track program at Dayton could provide dozens of kids with partial scholarships, and those guys could somehow find themselves playing non-scholarship football in the fall