University of Akron sues over 'catastrophic failure' in InfoCision Stadium constructi

FormerWildcat

Yappi Supporter
https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/l...ction/95-1456baba-1710-4004-af69-421f525bb3ff

University of Akron sues over 'catastrophic failure' in InfoCision Stadium construction
The suit claims the defendants breached contractual duties.
Author: Ray Strickland
Published: 2:17 PM EDT April 12, 2019
Updated: 11:14 PM EDT April 12, 2019

AKRON, Ohio — The University of Akron has filed a lawsuit over what it calls the "catastrophic and consistent" failure in construction at InfoCision Stadium.

According to the suit, the university is suing HNTB Ohio, Welty Building Company, Parsons Concrete Contractors, Ohio Farmers Insurance, EPI Of Cleveland and United States Surety Company for "construction deficiencies" costing more than $1 million.

The university contracted the listed defendants for work on the stadium, including railings and grout. The suit claims that damages to the railings will exceed $1 million and were a result of a breach of contractual duties by the defendants.

The school is suing for damage costs and is demanding a jury trial, according to the suit.

“The court filing and photos detail the serious problems the University continues to face due to faulty construction of the railing systems at InfoCision Stadium. We have tried to resolve this matter without filing a lawsuit but, unfortunately, those efforts were unsuccessful," Chief Communication and Marketing Officer Wayne Hill said in a statement issued to WKYC Friday.

Some students at the university are worried about fans' safety.

"Metal falling is usually not a good thing," said junior William Wilcox. "If its falling apart after 10 years, to that degree, it's almost inexcusable."

Senior Ivan Essilfie is concerned too--especially since students helped pay for it.

"I definitely think that it's unfortunate," said Essilfie.

Wilcox believes the companies involved should be held accountable. "If you are doing shoddy work, I believe you should be the one paying for it," he said.

That stadium was a giant waste of money, let’s pay close to 100 million dollars for a football stadium in a town that doesn’t care about college sports

Build it, and they still won't come

At least we know that the contractors can't blame failure on the weight load of over-occupancy

If they ever manage to hire a good up-and-comer, like Urban Meyer at Bowling Green, and have a string of really competitive seasons and a couple bowl wins, I think they would get good crowds. Having a program that is worth a damn is step one in attracting the fans.

If they ever manage to hire a good up-and-comer, like Urban Meyer at Bowling Green, and have a string of really competitive seasons and a couple bowl wins, I think they would get good crowds. Having a program that is worth a damn is step one in attracting the fans.

Bowden Jr was not the answer. Could D2 be the answer ?

Competitive is always more compelling than an -whup just to play a more prestigious schedule.

As I recall, Provenza pushed hard for this thing, and it's way more than they need. When Infocision's naming contract expires after the first ten years, it's slated to become Luis Provenza Stadium. Maybe he should donate back his salary for naming rights if his ego needs it ?

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-an...-to-teach-after-resignation-of-matthew-wilson

Luis' third of a million a year could have bought a lot of handrail maintenance. If the contractor was pushed to complete work under cold weather conditions, blame may fall to the bosses.

Akron has never supported football,high school and college and it's been like that for decades.No strong alumni for the Zips in football.

They made the mistake of taking YSU off their schedule years ago. College football is about rivalries. If Akron's schedule always had YSU, the thundering herd, the MAC and 1 power 5 team a year the interest in Akron football would have been high.

Like any program, it comes down to winning. They could play Kent, YSU, Pitt, and Marshall every season but it wouldn't draw crowds if they're struggling to win games in the MAC. Ohio is a pretty front-running state. If you're not winning, you're toast.