University of Akron baseball

One of the commits for 2021 is from LW. He is a nice player. I am excited for him. My son plays for a Juco in Illinois. They got some stuff at a deep, deep discount but no equipment was free. As far a JUCO's in Ohio, Sinclair dumped theirs for 2021 and Edison, Miami Hamilton canceled their season due to testing requirements. This might hurt Akron for the next couple of recruiting cycles.

Why would Miami-Hamilton not having a season affect Akron or recruiting? Isn’t Miami-Hamilton an independent 4 year school?

Why would Miami-Hamilton not having a season affect Akron or recruiting? Isn’t Miami-Hamilton an independent 4 year school?
Not really. Miami Hamilton operates like a JUCO in terms of baseball and the school itself is a way for kids to take two years of classes locally (and cheaper) and then transfer to Miami proper. So, if you do good at Edison, or Miami Hamilton, you could transfer to Akron and play ball. Remember, Akron has a mandate of no scholarship money and majority of the players should be in state. Just as an additional comment, I have been following several of my son's peers at D1 schools and the vast majority of the position players have not see the field yet or just a very little. Pitchers are getting some playing time but position players have not. The super Sophs and super Seniors at the the JUCO's and D1 clubs are really backing up younger player development.

Just as an additional comment, I have been following several of my son's peers at D1 schools and the vast majority of the position players have not see the field yet or just a very little. Pitchers are getting some playing time but position players have not. The super Sophs and super Seniors at the the JUCO's and D1 clubs are really backing up younger player development.
Ditto for my son at the D2 level. He is a freshman two-way player and is getting pitching apearances every weekend, but has only seen one inning as an infielder. Will be a backlog for younger players for several years I'd guess.

Miami Hamilton has had 4 yr players for as long as I can remember. The coach’s son transferred from DI wofford and played the remainder of his eligibility at MUH.

Miami Hamilton has had 4 yr players for as long as I can remember. The coach’s son transferred from DI wofford and played the remainder of his eligibility at MUH.

I understand but they play Juco's like Edison State and players can and do use Miami Hamilton as a development and stepping stone to move on to higher level baseball programs. this was the proposed 2021 schedule for Edison State:

vs
Wright State University - Lake Campus
@ Wright State University - Main Campus 7-innings
1:00 PM

N
SAT27
vs
3:00 PM

N
SUN28
vs

N
SUN28
vs

N
MARCH
SAT06
at
University of Cincinnati - Clermont
7-innings

A
SAT06
at
7-innings

A
SUN07
vs
7-innings

H
SUN07
vs
7-innings

H
WED24
at
Miami University - Hamilton
9-innings

A
WED31
at
University of Northwestern Ohio
7-innings
2:00 PM

A
WED31
at
7-innings
4:00 PM

A
APRIL
THU08
vs
9-innings

H
WED14
vs
7-innings
2:00 PM

H
WED14
vs
7-innings

H
SAT24
at

A
SAT24
at

A
WED28
at
9-innings

Not really. Miami Hamilton operates like a JUCO in terms of baseball and the school itself is a way for kids to take two years of classes locally (and cheaper) and then transfer to Miami proper. So, if you do good at Edison, or Miami Hamilton, you could transfer to Akron and play ball. Remember, Akron has a mandate of no scholarship money and majority of the players should be in state. Just as an additional comment, I have been following several of my son's peers at D1 schools and the vast majority of the position players have not see the field yet or just a very little. Pitchers are getting some playing time but position players have not. The super Sophs and super Seniors at the the JUCO's and D1 clubs are really backing up younger player development.

Do they have a history of players transferring to bigger schools? Sounds like a competitive club team.

Do they have a history of players transferring to bigger schools? Sounds like a competitive club team.
I honestly don't know. The head coach of the Miami Hamilton team is the president of the Hamilton Joe's of the Great Lakes League. He has tons of connections, so he could help. And there was one pitcher on my Son's summer team that intended to pitch for Miami Hamilton and then see how it went from there. Of course, there was no season so ?

Miami Hamilton is much more inclined to get a kid transfer in to finish a career than have a kid play a couple and move on to a higher level. At one time they were head and shoulders above the rest of their conference which consists of the branch campuses in Ohio. I think MUH had won their state tourney numerous times in a row. There has always been talk that they would join NCAA DIII or NAIA but not sure where that is at now. Plenty of talented baseball players in Southwest Ohio to choose from and the cost to attend a branch campus is very reasonable. Can actually get four year degrees now without attending the main Miami campus.

Saw that Akron played and lost to Wittenberg. Is Akron DI this year for baseball? If yes, is it common for a DI to play a DIII school?
Way back in the day, the 80's, Findlay College played BG every year. Findlay was NAIA back then. My guess is you could use it like a JVish type game for BG, some of the guys who don't play much/ pitch much in league games.