Uniontown Lake Blue Streaks and the Federal League - Preview

BuckeyeUrban

Asking fans from each team in the Fed to give us a preview or what to watch for from their boys basketball team this season. Coaches, players, transfers, returning letter winners, etc.

The Green Bulldogs have high expectations in 2019-2020! 11 of 12 varsity players return from last year's district championship team. 6 seniors are back, including 4 senior returning starters. (Smith, Simmer, O'Neill and Keeslar). Coach Kinsley's fast paced offense and hard-nosed defense should have another successful year.

Thanks Bull! Best of luck to your Green Bulldogs this season! Was Green placed in the Copley District last year? Are they there again this season?

Thanks PitMan!
source.gif

Hoover should be interesting. Their best player moved to St V. But they return everyone else. Taking with one of the assistant coaches at a Baseball game this summer, he thought they would be a much better team without Harris. Not as much standing around and a more balanced Offense. Hope the Vikings can put it together. They should have decent size.
Good Luck all.

Thanks Doc. I agree. Hoover will probably play better team ball without Harris in the mix. Who is the head coach now at Hoover?

Canton McKinley returns 3 sophomore starters from last year and another starter.Plus returning other players who got playing time.The Pups also had a very good J.V. team last year.

Hoover should be interesting. Their best player moved to St V. But they return everyone else. Taking with one of the assistant coaches at a Baseball game this summer, he thought they would be a much better team without Harris. Not as much standing around and a more balanced Offense. Hope the Vikings can put it together. They should have decent size.
Good Luck all.
Ashby isn’t playing basketball this year.

Ashby not playing is going to be a big blow to the program. I wonder why he's not playing?? Couldbe to get bigger for football. Losing Ashby and Harris will be hard to bounce back from.

I know some of the coaches thought they would be better without Harris, but I'm not sure. Hope they can manage some W's. I think coach Bluey did a good job last year with such a young team, but losing that much is going to be hard for anyone Good luck all

Blue Streaks returning one starter, maybe 3 seniors. Word is several varsity lettermen (good athletes) in the junior class did not come back this year and one sophomore who likely would have seen some varsity time transferred to Hoover. If this is all true program doesn't seem to be in good shape.

Blue Streaks returning one starter, maybe 3 seniors. Word is several varsity lettermen (good athletes) in the junior class did not come back this year and one sophomore who likely would have seen some varsity time transferred to Hoover. If this is all true program doesn't seem to be in good shape.
Is Vaughn still at Lake ?

Canton McKinley returns 3 sophomore starters from last year and another starter.Plus returning other players who got playing time.The Pups also had a very good J.V. team last year.
Sounds like McKinley will be a handful in the Federal League as usual. Thanks C-Kid!

From what I heard, Lake struggled with Stow in scrimmage tonight but Vaughan is legit.
A person close to the program told me Lake might win 7 or 8 games this season. No depth. 4 or 5 boys they were counting on decided to quit or not play this year and concentrate on other sports.

Haven't heard or read anything about the Perry Panthers, Jackson Polar Bears, or GlenOak Golden Eagles??? Can anyone comment?

I think I can help with Jackson. What I do recall is that this group of Seniors has won consistently all the way up, have good chemistry and very athletic and will be supplemented by some young players with good potential and some length. JVs were pretty decent last year and lost only 3 games IIRC. I believe as Jackson teams have done in the past, the returning players will simply take on different roles, adjust the approach and they will keep rolling. According to 270Hoops, they beat Pickerington Central in a Preview Scrimmage this weekend and performed well against others. I look for this team to be more guard/perimeter oriented with lockdown pressure defense.

Returning lettermen are Aleman, Boggs, Byers, Jones, Gelal. Here is the roster according to their website:

30 Jacob Aleman* 6' 00" Senior
10 Drew Boggs* 5' 10" Senior
24 Jake Byers* 5' 10" Senior
11 Hunter Geissinger 6' 05" Sophomore
23 Colin Gelal* 6' 03" Senior
20 Alexander Graybill 6' 05" Junior
3 Kevin James 6' 02" Sophomore
21 Trent Jones* 6' 03" Senior
32 Mccarthy Kistler 6' 02" Sophomore
13 Michael Skeriotis 5' 11" Junior
5 Ben Sullivan 6' 01" Sophomore
35 Owen Woolbert 6' 06" Freshman

And this article was from this week's Canton Rep:
Jackson Polar Bears Head coach: Tim Debevec

Last year: 19-6, 10-2 (Federal League champ)

Player to watch: Trent Jones, 6-3, sr.
The Ohio State baseball signee can hoop a little bit, too. Jones hit 59 3-pointers and averaged 10.6 points a game last year. Now he’ll be asked to expand his game for a Jackson team that graduated the scoring and playmaking of Anthony Mazzeo.

Outlook
The Polar Bears have up to 13 players in the mix for minutes, and that includes five sophomores and 6-foot-6 freshman Owen Woolbert. Jones along with fellow seniors Jake Byers, Jake Aleman, Colin Gelal and Drew Boggs each bring a certain level of varsity experience. Impact guys such as Mazzeo and Will Hyde are gone, but it should be noted: Jackson has won at least a share of five straight league titles and appeared in six straight district championship games. The Bears know how to win

I think I can help with Jackson. What I do recall is that this group of Seniors has won consistently all the way up, have good chemistry and very athletic and will be supplemented by some young players with good potential and some length. JVs were pretty decent last year and lost only 3 games IIRC. I believe as Jackson teams have done in the past, the returning players will simply take on different roles, adjust the approach and they will keep rolling. According to 270Hoops, they beat Pickerington Central in a Preview Scrimmage this weekend and performed well against others. I look for this team to be more guard/perimeter oriented with lockdown pressure defense.

Returning lettermen are Aleman, Boggs, Byers, Jones, Gelal. Here is the roster according to their website:

30 Jacob Aleman* 6' 00" Senior
10 Drew Boggs* 5' 10" Senior
24 Jake Byers* 5' 10" Senior
11 Hunter Geissinger 6' 05" Sophomore
23 Colin Gelal* 6' 03" Senior
20 Alexander Graybill 6' 05" Junior
3 Kevin James 6' 02" Sophomore
21 Trent Jones* 6' 03" Senior
32 Mccarthy Kistler 6' 02" Sophomore
13 Michael Skeriotis 5' 11" Junior
5 Ben Sullivan 6' 01" Sophomore
35 Owen Woolbert 6' 06" Freshman

And this article was from this week's Canton Rep:
Jackson Polar Bears Head coach: Tim Debevec

Last year: 19-6, 10-2 (Federal League champ)

Player to watch: Trent Jones, 6-3, sr.
The Ohio State baseball signee can hoop a little bit, too. Jones hit 59 3-pointers and averaged 10.6 points a game last year. Now he’ll be asked to expand his game for a Jackson team that graduated the scoring and playmaking of Anthony Mazzeo.

Outlook
The Polar Bears have up to 13 players in the mix for minutes, and that includes five sophomores and 6-foot-6 freshman Owen Woolbert. Jones along with fellow seniors Jake Byers, Jake Aleman, Colin Gelal and Drew Boggs each bring a certain level of varsity experience. Impact guys such as Mazzeo and Will Hyde are gone, but it should be noted: Jackson has won at least a share of five straight league titles and appeared in six straight district championship games. The Bears know how to win

Quick take on some Jackson players I like and I think are currently under the radar:

Michael Skeriotis - excellent shooter, great footwork around the basket, unselfish, high basketball IQ. Needs to improve defensively but offensively he’s their most complete player. I really like his game.

Ben Sullivan - kind of streaky but a heady player who can shoot and finish around the basket. Was impressed with him at JV last year.

Alex Graybill - coming back from an ankle injury but a tough, crafty kid who competes hard. Will take some time to get back into the groove.

Owen Woolbert - tall, long freshman who will probably get some meaningful playing time. Doesn’t back down and still improving, obviously. Very intelligent kid.

So early on here in the season, would you say Green, McKinley, Jackson top 3 in that order for the FED? Where will Perry, Hoover, Lake, and GlenOak finish?