UK Wildcats - 2018/2019

Spille

Anyone by chance watch any of UK's trip to the Bahamas? They played 4 games and while I admittedly don't know much about the competition, they were blowout winners in each of the 4 games, winning by an average margin of 29 points. Hard to say much after just 4 glorified scrimmages, but one thing that this UK team looks to be able to do that they have struggled in recent years is shoot the 3 effectively. The opener with Duke should be fun to watch.

Cal said after last year to his assistants that he was going to find shooters, he wont recruit you if you cant shoot.

DJ Jeffries decommitting for not having a UK coach watch his final summer league game is funny. Probably means Wiseman is headed to memphis as well.

Anyone by chance watch any of UK's trip to the Bahamas? They played 4 games and while I admittedly don't know much about the competition, they were blowout winners in each of the 4 games, winning by an average margin of 29 points. Hard to say much after just 4 glorified scrimmages, but one thing that this UK team looks to be able to do that they have struggled in recent years is shoot the 3 effectively. The opener with Duke should be fun to watch.

Like you said, it was only a scrimmage, but they looked good. They seem to have a balanced, deep team this year. There's not really a position where they are weak this year.

Hagans and Quickley will run the point.
Green, Herro and Johnson (and maybe Baker) will play off the ball. Herro and Johnson looked very good in Bahamas.
Washington, Montgomery, Travis and Richards will be down low.

There are 9 players who legitimately deserve playing time on this team. Interested to see how Calipari manages it this year.

First exhibition against Transylvania tonight at 7. Just wanted to post if any UK fans wanted to and were able to tune in. I think it's on SECN.

JiBeen hearing from credible sources practices have been nuts with them being 10 deep. Travis is a huge addition for those young post players.

Cal after last year told his assistants he wants shooters. Been hearing Baker can drain it but is a liability on defense.

Sounds like Quickley has been out playing Hagans. Herro is going to be my favorite player for a couple years.

Do you think we will see platoon system like we did in 2015?

IQ has been great I hear, but I understand Hagans defense be difficult to keep on the bench. Either way, I think both will play plenty.

Can't wait to see Herro play.

Not a chance on Platoon is what i was told. From my understanding that wasnt Cal's idea, but the Harrison twins. Hurt recruiting for the year after bc they used it against him saying future players wouldnt get playing time or showcased like they would at other schools.

I see IQ gettinf around 60% of the playing time. They say he runs the offense better but as you said Hagans defense is ELITE. That also isnt to say Hagans cant run the team well but they were surprised at how well IQ is at finding the open shooters.

This team is deeper than any team in the NCAA, it will be interesting to see how Cal manages it.

I think you can tell they will be really good bc Swaggy Cal is back. He knows he is loaded. Been hearing good things about PJ and that Travis and him have been going at it. Practices have been intense bc they are so deep and they say Travis is pushing all the big men. Herro talks a lot as well. One thing i was told on court communication will be better than years past. I really hope to see improvement from Richards.

I am sure they will take some lumps on the road but I expect them to be a legit NC contender, unlike last year

Duke will have the edge on top end talent IMO but they wont be near as deep as UK. With all UK teams under Cal the season doesnt start until March. The early season game with Duke wont be a true litmus test of either team. If they end up playing well in the early/middle part of the year, it will be just gravy. The last 3 weeks of the season we will know if they are elite or not.

Last edited:
Good info, thank you.

Wasnt able to watch the game but i checked box score. Only one three and it came with 14 minutes to go. Alot of turnovers too. Plenty to work on. Next tuneup before opener is Friday the 2nd.

What a mess that was. Nowhere to go but up from here. Duke was really good last night. Everything they did so well and UK did so poorly. UK will be fine though, still a really good team. Plenty to work on, so much can be learned from a game like this.