UCF and making the playoff.

UCF's strength of schedule is going to hurt them. They need to play a bigger game before conference play. Only problem is, no one who is really good wants to play them. A Power 5 team has everything to lose and nothing to win from a game with them. But I do think they should be in if only teams with two losses are in front of them.

What hurts them are their issues with the Citrus Bowl and their subsequent lack of desire to play there. USF doesn't seem to have a problem getting home-and-homes with big programs, and playing at Raymond James is likely why.

This is why the playoffs need to be 8+ teams. I really hate the “experts” on ESPN and the like saying expansion will only give us poor matchups that lead to blowouts in he first round. So what who F$%ken cares. People will stop watching the college football playoffs because there might be first round blowouts?

I really hate ESPN and their “experts”. Did I explain that already? I’m bitter :)

Its all about the money which makes it literally a popularity contest. the most popular teams get the highest ratings bringing in the most money.
eventually UCF will lose a game. whether this season, bowl game, next year etc eventually they'll lose. and the entire nation will scream "SEE! They're arent good enough". Yet teams like ohio state can get their pants pulled down by purdue without consequence. they still control their own destiny. Why? because it doesn't actually matter if they get exposed and humiliated. they're more popular. its a joke. a big prom queen style popularity contest. im sure its an awesome system if your team is in the media protected cartel. but its ruining the sport if your team isnt

After watching UCF last night there is no way this team should be included in this season's playoffs. That defense is beyond bad, yielding 40 points and more then 600 yards to Temple at home. Combine that with their weak SOS and honestly UCF shouldn't even be in the conversation about the playoffs.

But here's where it gets tricky IMO. What if UCF finishes this season undefeated and wins their bowl game against a decent opponent. They then rip through their regular season & conference championship games NEXT year (very possible with their QB coming back). You will have a BCS team riding a 38 GAME WINNING STREAK!

IMO if this happens then the committee should automatically award UCF the 4th spot no matter what else happens during next years season.

This is why the playoffs need to be 8+ teams. I really hate the “experts” on ESPN and the like saying expansion will only give us poor matchups that lead to blowouts in he first round. So what who F$%ken cares. People will stop watching the college football playoffs because there might be first round blowouts?

I really hate ESPN and their “experts”. Did I explain that already? I’m bitter :)

This is so obvious it defies logic why it already hasn't happened.

It's simple, have an 8 team playoff with the top ranked non-Power conference team (not including ND) getting an automatic bid. Make the 1st round a home game for the top 4 seeds.

* This will generate MORE money then the current system.

* This will NOT in any way dilute the playoffs (8 out 128 team sis still very selective)

* The notion that the #1 versus #8 match-ups would lead to blow-outs is wrong and not supported by games played between top 10 teams during the regular season.

I still say 16 teams is the best number. 10 conference champions and 6 at-large. Go back to an 11 game regular season. The 2 finalists will have played 16 games.

I still say 16 teams is the best number. 10 conference champions and 6 at-large. Go back to an 11 game regular season. The 2 finalists will have played 16 games.

I agree but lets take it one step at a time.

When it does finally go to 16 teams then the first 2 rounds can be at the home field of the higher seed.

I've always liked 12 - but could live with 8. 16 is probably too many.
8 with the 5 Power Conference Champs - best ranked Group of 5 and two at-large.

FCS has a 24 team playoff, Division 2 has a 28 team playoff, and Division 3 has a 32 team playoff. There's no reason the FBS can't do 16.

For those who don't want to include all conference champions, what is your reasoning? What value does the season have for the 95% of G5 teams whose ceiling is a mid-December bowl game attended by 10,000 people?

The G5 should follow through on the separate playoff idea that was floated awhile ago! If their only shot at a playoff bid requires lucking into a number of high quality OCC opponents (because games are scheduled years in advance), they do not have a realistic opportunity to play for a national championship!

Another option is a lawsuit! The committee represents a subjective method of selection that has shown clear bias in favor of major programs!

As mentioned above, I think it should be expanded to 8 with the Power 5 champs getting auto bids, with 2 at-larges and the highest ranked Group of 5 team also getting in.

12 is too many IMO. At that number it feels like you end up with either 2-3 teams from most Power 5 conferences or you have to give all group of 5 champs auto bids. I don't love either of those ideas.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I really dont think we need more than 1 G5 team in the playoffs. Most years i dont think we even need the 1.

at what point will the G5 coaches get it together and start voting their undefeated teams #1? Get their media market AP voters to do the same and force the issue! I'm shocked they havent already done this. Seems borderline incompetence their commissioners havent made it happen.

The AP/Coaches poll doesn't matter in the current landscape of college football. What would voting UCF #1 do? How does that help UCF or the AAC when everyone knows it's them/the conference just throwing votes that way.

The AP and coaches poll are what get used half the year and serves as the starting point for the playoff committee.:shrug: Its what every p5 conference does. its obviously effective since the p5 conferences are doing to keep the g5 out.

This is so obvious it defies logic why it already hasn't happened.

It's simple, have an 8 team playoff with the top ranked non-Power conference team (not including ND) getting an automatic bid. Make the 1st round a home game for the top 4 seeds.

* This will generate MORE money then the current system.

* This will NOT in any way dilute the playoffs (8 out 128 team sis still very selective)

* The notion that the #1 versus #8 match-ups would lead to blow-outs is wrong and not supported by games played between top 10 teams during the regular season.

8 team playoff with conference champ from each of the power 5.
So you have 5 conference champs plus 3 at-large bids.
I’m a genius!

The AP and coaches poll are what get used half the year and serves as the starting point for the playoff committee.:shrug: Its what every p5 conference does. its obviously effective since the p5 conferences are doing to keep the g5 out.

Based on what? Maybe I'm too naive in thinking the committee actually does start from scratch but there have been enough inconsistencies between the CFP Rankings and the AP/Coaches Polls to know the former doesn't reference the latter much at all.

Its simple, if you watch UCF you quickly realize they should not be in the top 4 let alone the top 10. I think they likely lose one or more anyways down the stretch.

Its simple, if you watch UCF you quickly realize they should not be in the top 4 let alone the top 10. I think they likely lose one or more anyways down the stretch.

If the game against UC was up here instead of down there I'd like UC's chances a lot more. Houston would be a tough matchup in the AAC title game. USF is trending down after getting drubbed by Tulane, but it's still a rivalry game. I can see them possibly losing one but they'll be favored in all of their remaining games.

I'm in the 8 team playoff camp with automatic bids for all five "Power 5" conferences with three at-large bids. I can't see a scenario where an undefeated "Group of 5" team would not get one of those three at-large bids by the time the conference championship games were all said & done.

Let me throw a Wet Blanket on the Whole 8, 16, 14, 64 Team Tournament Idea. Remember what is most important in Big Time College Sports- $$$$$.

Any extended playoff are going to have to deal with:

Teams already play 11 games. They are not going to play fewer games and cut into Gate and TV $$.

Season starts before Classes begin and extended playoffs would hurt Students ability to take exams. If students don't take exams the whole Student Athlete Canard falls apart. That will cost big $$$.

The Playoff teams now play up to 13 games. 8 Teams means 14 games. Too many games for a S/A. Start quacking like Pros. Need to pay them $$$.

Bowl Games make a lot of teams $$$. it also encourages boosters to give $$$. They make a lot of other people $$$. They provide programming to the Networks so they can make $$$.

Too Many People making too much $$$ for things to change soon. I would like to see rule you got to win your Conference to go to Tourney. Ala. actually had an advantage by not even going to conference Championship Game.

Some of your math is off Wahoo but you are on the right track. The biggest barriers to an expanded playoff are the New Year's Day legacy Bowls and that extra game. The Rose Bowl parade is a huge deal and those old coots in Pasadena lobby the PAC 12 and the B1G hard to make sure the Rose Bowl still means something, an extra round of playoffs waters down their event. Also, the conference title games are big $ makers for the conferences so those are not going away and the teams are not letting go of any in season games as those pay for a lot of things in an athletic budget. So an extra playoff game means a player in the title game would have plaid 16 games, that is a NFL regular season where as a NCAA basketball player at the most hits a fraction of the NBA schedule even w/ March madness.

I still don't buy that one more game will break these kids. If high school kids, D3 players, D2 players, and FCS players can play 15 then FBS players can play 16.