UC coaching search

He’s been fired from both major schools he’s coached at. He’s only had sustained success at New Mexico St.

and did well at Manchester and SW Missouri state.

UCLA he won 28, 31 22 and 21 so he wasn't awful there.

Last edited:
Doesnt hurt coaching DJ and James

And Harris, Lomax, Boyce, Dandridge. I think some of those guys were just an an AAU team he founded, but he definitely coached a few of these guys. Cincinnati doesn't have that type of talent sitting in it's backyard.

Martin has made the tourney one time at USC. Pass

True but I've read that's a bit deceiving because many think USC is one of the worst P5 jobs. Every non-UC fan has said Martin would be a home run hire. Also he did really well at K-State.

The SEC just added a bunch of good coaches in the last few years - Barnes, Pearl, just added Musselman. It's going to be tough to win in the SEC, the conference has done a complete 180 in the last several years. Martin's one year in the tournament with SC netted a Final Four. I think his tough nosed approach would work at UC, just don't think there's a realistic shot they get him. Didn't he coach under Huggins?

I don't know why anybody would have any interest in Nick Van Exel. NBA guys have an absolutely horrid track record at the college level.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Frank Martin was never a realistic candidate for the UC job. He never expressed any interest, at least that I read anywhere. The interest was all on UC's part.

Besides, why would he possibly want to move from South Carolina to UC?

I'd think that South Carolina would have better financial resources. It's also undoubtedly in a much better league.

I'd think that South Carolina would have better financial resources. It's also undoubtedly in a much better league.

But it’s also at best the 2nd fiddle to football. It might even be behind baseball.

But it’s also at best the 2nd fiddle to football. It might even be behind baseball.
I'd think the chances of striking it big there are better than at UC, regardless of tradition or the athletic pecking order at the school.

The only reason you'd ever consider leaving there for UC (and probably equal at best financial considerations) would be to be at a "basketball school".

It doesn't matter as he's already shot down any consideration. There's no way UC would have been willing to pay a negotiated buyout for him anyway. A 50% buyout would have still been $6 million. For that reason alone he was a ridiculously unrealistic target.