UC Bearcats

Tulane might be good, but they would have no chance playing UC at Nippert Stadium with home field advantage in the conference championship game on the line. That place would be cold and rocking.

But UC has to survive the UCF game first. Every games until the bowl game is really just about UC. If they play like they are capable, they will win. If they play like the second half against Indiana and SMU, then they might lose.

I can’t believe Pace isn’t the starter.
Assume you mean Prater, but a lot of people heads will go there after a game like today. In the two TD drives, Bryant looked really good. On some of the quick drives ending in punts, not so much. Where the heck was Kiner today?

I'm also very surprised Prater doesn't see the field in the red zone. Five FGs last week, three of which on red zone trips and then two more trips to the red zone with FGs in the 1st half today.

The offense has had struggles all season, which again makes you wonder why Prater hasn't been given a chance at all, but the defense was shredded today. This should have been a double-digit win for UCF. Bearcats recover two fumbles inside the 15 after UCF marched right down the field to start the 2nd half. Too many missed tackles and the CBs couldn't cover anyone 1v1 today.

They've still got a chance to make the conference championship game if they win out (they'll own the tiebreaker over Tulane) and could even host if they beat Tulane and UCF stumbles again. But today was pretty disappointing if you're a UC fan.

Assume you mean Prater, but a lot of people heads will go there after a game like today. In the two TD drives, Bryant looked really good. On some of the quick drives ending in punts, not so much. Where the heck was Kiner today?

I'm also very surprised Prater doesn't see the field in the red zone. Five FGs last week, three of which on red zone trips and then two more trips to the red zone with FGs in the 1st half today.

The offense has had struggles all season, which again makes you wonder why Prater hasn't been given a chance at all, but the defense was shredded today. This should have been a double-digit win for UCF. Bearcats recover two fumbles inside the 15 after UCF marched right down the field to start the 2nd half. Too many missed tackles and the CBs couldn't cover anyone 1v1 today.

They've still got a chance to make the conference championship game if they win out (they'll own the tiebreaker over Tulane) and could even host if they beat Tulane and UCF stumbles again. But today was pretty disappointing if you're a UC fan.
I haven’t been a fan of Bryant from the beginning. He’s inconsistent and his lack of feeling for field presence on the playing field causes turnovers and today a safety. I just think UC could lose again with Bryant as QB. I think Prater gives them more mobility and possibly open up the offense more.

I haven’t been a fan of Bryant from the beginning. He’s inconsistent and his lack of feeling for field presence on the playing field causes turnovers and today a safety. I just think UC could lose again with Bryant as QB. I think Prater gives them more mobility and possibly open up the offense more.
I agree with you, the last possession was the same, no feel for the rush and it turns into a sack/fumble. But the question then becomes why Bryant over Prater? What is wrong with Prater that they haven't given him a shot yet?

I agree with you, the last possession was the same, no feel for the rush and it turns into a sack/fumble. But the question then becomes why Bryant over Prater? What is wrong with Prater that they haven't given him a shot yet?

I assume it's a matter of making throws - an area where Prater has presumably been behind Bryant all season.

It seemed like a foregone conclusion that this team was going to be fringe top 25 with at least 2-3 losses after the Arkansas game.

I think yesterday was a reminder that their ceiling is a few levels below the past few seasons.

Last edited:
Barf. Injuries have hurt the defense but they should be able to overcome that, at least against AAC teams - hell UCF had their back up QB.

Gino is not a good play caller. Kiner was a healthy scratch. Took entirely too long to get the talented TEs involved. Bryant sucks, should have been benched after that safety, inexcusable for the experienced veteran captain to let that happen.

But UC has to survive the UCF game first. Every games until the bowl game is really just about UC. If they play like they are capable, they will win. If they play like the second half against Indiana and SMU, then they might lose.
Crystal Ball Wizard GIF by Verohallinto

Barf. Injuries have hurt the defense but they should be able to overcome that, at least against AAC teams - hell UCF had their back up QB.

Gino is not a good play caller. Kiner was a healthy scratch. Took entirely too long to get the talented TEs involved. Bryant sucks, should have been benched after that safety, inexcusable for the experienced veteran captain to let that happen.
Bryant is definitely not very good! Kiner a Healthy Scratch makes absolutely no sense! Who made that decision? UC D gets called for way to many dumb penalties! Huge difference between aggressive and stupid! Will Prater start getting some snaps?

I think the verdict came in about whether UC’s roster this year was allegedly better without Desmond Ridder, Alec Pierce, Sauce Gardner, Coby Bryant, Myjai Sanders, etc. Maybe there’s more depth — maybe? — but the bottom line is you can’t play 60 guys at the same time.

This whole setup has a couple of notable comparisons to Ohio State. If you think about it, neither UC nor Ohio State have played anything resembling a relevant opponent since Week 1 of the season. It’s tough to really progress as a team when your schedule has 6 or 7 cupcakes in a row.

We saw the results on Saturday against mediocre teams that have a pulse. Ohio State found themselves in a dogfight against what should have been an overmatched team, while UC got cooked, glazed and sliced by a team playing a backup QB. UCF was able to run over UC and the game was only close because of UCF’s two red zone fumbles in the 3rd quarter while UC was resembling a staggered, swaying Mortal Kombat character while “Finish Him!” flashed all over the screen.

I still think UC will make the conference title game since they don’t have any road games of substance left. But I think the New Year’s Six game is out the window. That’ll go to the Liberty Flames or UCF or Coastal Carolina.

I would like to know why UC, out of 131 FBS teams, is second-worst in penalty total and worst in the FBS in penalty yardage. That’s not indicative of good coaching. It’s undisciplined football.

(As an aside, I’m curious to see where things go in the future for UCF. When they hired Gus Malzahn, it felt like a desperate swing for the fences by a thirsty, scrambling university, much like UC did a decade ago with Tommy Tuberville. A deal where it seems like an aging coach who got run out of Auburn is easing toward retirement while drawing a fat paycheck from an easy mark. Can he keep UCF relevant going forward? I’ll be surprised.)

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

I think the verdict came in about whether UC’s roster this year was allegedly better without Desmond Ridder, Alec Pierce, Sauce Gardner, Coby Bryant, Myjai Sanders, etc. Maybe there’s more depth — maybe? — but the bottom line is you can’t play 60 guys at the same time.

This whole setup has a couple of notable comparisons to Ohio State. If you think about it, neither UC nor Ohio State have played anything resembling a relevant opponent since Week 1 of the season. It’s tough to really progress as a team when your schedule has 6 or 7 cupcakes in a row.

We saw the results on Saturday against mediocre teams that have a pulse. Ohio State found themselves in a dogfight against what should have been an overmatched team, while UC got cooked, glazed and sliced by a team playing a backup QB. UCF was able to run over UC and the game was only close because of UCF’s two red zone fumbles in the 3rd quarter while UC was resembling a staggered, swaying Mortal Kombat character while “Finish Him!” flashed all over the screen.

I still think UC will make the conference title game since they don’t have any road games of substance left. But I think the New Year’s Six game is out the window. That’ll go to the Liberty Flames or UCF or Coastal Carolina.

I would like to know why UC, out of 131 FBS teams, is second-worst in penalty total and worst in the FBS in penalty yardage. That’s not indicative of good coaching. It’s undisciplined football.

(As an aside, I’m curious to see where things go in the future for UCF. When they hired Gus Malzahn, it felt like a desperate swing for the fences by a thirsty, scrambling university, much like UC did a decade ago with Tommy Tuberville. A deal where it seems like an aging coach who got run out of Auburn is easing toward retirement while drawing a fat paycheck from an easy mark. Can he keep UCF relevant going forward? I’ll be surprised.)

Yep Ohio State's SOS is terrible.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/season-sos-by-other

What sort of metrics is this list using? There's no way Ohio State has played the 4th toughest SOS, unless it's accounting for the entire season based on where every team stands currently - which would include Michigan. Although, when all is said and done, I wouldn't agree that they would have played the 4th toughest schedule either.

Schedule humpers are funny though. If you're schedule is so tough that you end up losing more than 1 game then you're out of the Championship hunt anyways. Take AEW, great ND played a tough schedule this year and they've lost 3 games already and are currently irrelevant in the Playoff picture and will be the rest of this season.

What sort of metrics is this list using? There's no way Ohio State has played the 4th toughest SOS, unless it's accounting for the entire season based on where every team stands currently - which would include Michigan. Although, when all is said and done, I wouldn't agree that they would have played the 4th toughest schedule either.

Schedule humpers are funny though. If you're schedule is so tough that you end up losing more than 1 game then you're out of the Championship hunt anyways. Take AEW, great ND played a tough schedule this year and they've lost 3 games already and are currently irrelevant in the Playoff picture and will be the rest of this season.
I have no idea how they came up with their ranking. There are lots of ways to do it. None of them show OSU with a crappy schedule. And I’m pretty sure they show ND with a worse one, not a better one.

I have no idea how they came up with their ranking. There are lots of ways to do it. None of them show OSU with a crappy schedule. And I’m pretty sure they show ND with a worse one, not a better one.
Throw out whatever nonsense metrics are being used. Just look at the CFP rankings:

Notre Dame opponents:

at 2 Ohio State
at 17 North Carolina
at 20 Syracuse
vs 4 Clemson
at 9 USC

Ohio State opponents:

at 15 Penn State
vs 5 Michigan
vs 16 Illinois

No one with a straight face can even try to say Ohio State has a better schedule than Notre Dame. Do I have to use a HAMMER to DRILL this common-sense thought into everyone’s head?

No one in the country except SEC West teams are playing the type of tough schedule Notre Dame plays.

Throw out whatever nonsense metrics are being used. Just look at the CFP rankings:

Notre Dame opponents:

at 2 Ohio State
at 17 North Carolina
at 20 Syracuse
vs 4 Clemson
at 9 USC

Ohio State opponents:

at 15 Penn State
vs 5 Michigan
vs 16 Illinois

No one with a straight face can even try to say Ohio State has a better schedule than Notre Dame. Do I have to use a HAMMER to DRILL this common-sense thought into everyone’s head?

No one in the country except SEC West teams are playing the type of tough schedule Notre Dame plays.

Metrics tell a lot more than the tiny bit of info you provided. Sorry those metrics don't fit your fandom bias.

Metrics tell a lot more than the tiny bit of info you provided. Sorry those metrics don't fit your fandom bias.
Well, the computers must see something in Iowa, Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Michigan State, Toledo, Arkansas State, etc. that no living, breathing human being sees. All those teams are well-compensated jobbers.

ESPN had them at 52 I think last night. Which is just above the middle of college football.

What does Marshall have to do with the non-Notre Dame teams on Ohio State’s schedule?

Ohio State has beaten all of their Marshall like teams on their schedule? When was the last time Ohio State has lost to a Marshall caliber team at home?

Does UC ever cover a spread? Only putting up 55 rushing yards vs. Navy (2.8 ypc) is concerning.

Well Prater got a little over a half of football and didn't look too shabby. Thought his ability to get outside the pocket and scramble was an added bonus, but he just didn't look as comfortable throwing the ball, albeit he did fairly well from a completion standpoint. The offense still only put up 6 points, should have been 10.

Didn't hear how bad Bryant's injury was, but this was a perfect spot to get Prater significant playing time in case they need to or choose to go to him next week with the Conference Regular Season crown on the line.

Very conservative end to the half there by the Bearcats. Tulane looks better up front so far and Spears is the best player on the field. Feels like the first turnover will play a big factor in deciding this one.

Very conservative end to the half there by the Bearcats. Tulane looks better up front so far and Spears is the best player on the field. Feels like the first turnover will play a big factor in deciding this one.
I can understand Cincinnati going to the Big12 for financial reasons, but competition wise the AAC is a fun league to watch.