UC Bearcats

Unbelievably bad clock management. Snapped it with :10 on the play clock 3 times....then incomplete on the 3rd down. At worst, they punt with :35 left.....then they call a TIME OUT when Georgia was out of TO's. Unreal

UC should have won this game. You run the ball and run the clock. It sucks because this would have been a huge win for AAC and UC. It's one thing to beat Power 5 schools like UCLA and Ole Miss, but when you beat one of the elites, it says a lot about legitimizing how tough the other conferences are. I think UC was better than ND, and I think they could have beaten any of the other top ten teamas with the exception of the big three, and then who knows what can happen.

The following by ADSELDER09 is spot on...

Denbrock called a miserable 2nd half. Break off a 79-yard TD Run, then call 6 consecutive passes with 2 straight 3 and outs. Final drive of the game for UC, they pick up the 1st down, then snap the ball twice with 10 seconds on the playclock and clock running. The last snap on 3rd and 2 should have been closer to 1:15-1:20 instead of 1:34. Then them without ANY timeouts you inexcusable throw the ball on the 3rd and 2. Even if you don't get the 1st down, you run off 40 seconds. Take a delay of game or timeout with less than 30 seconds left for them to drive into FG range. Pathetic by the offensive staff.
I agree with all of this, but it is a matter of philosophy. Are you paying to win, or playing not to lose?

Score a TD, UC wins.

Get a 1st down, UC wins.

Do the consensus smart thing and take time off the clock, GA could still win.

Freeman interviewing with LSU and Notre Dame, Auburn and Texas also thought to be in pursuit. Not sure if UC can keep him unless his ties to Ohio are strong enough or he'll only leave for a HC job, or if Fickell provides him with some large incentive or coach in waiting plan.

Freeman interviewing with LSU and Notre Dame, Auburn and Texas also thought to be in pursuit. Not sure if UC can keep him unless his ties to Ohio are strong enough or he'll only leave for a HC job, or if Fickell provides him with some large incentive or coach in waiting plan.

Texas would be kind of fun. They get beat with their own state talent a good D is what they need to put it together. They have the best situation to break the play-off log-jam. Don't know about working with Sarkisian. Freeman could be head coach somewhere, why stay second banana at a program that couldn't beat the one he's coming from?

Freeman will be tough to hang on to unless Ohio ties trump all. He's pretty well compensated at UC, but odds are one of those Power 5 big spenders will offer him $1 million+ and double his salary to be their DC. 2-3 successful seasons at one of those schools could net a much better HC gig than what he'd likely be currently looking at.

That loss will just continue to hurt UC and the smaller conferences.

Like it or not, until there are 8 team playoffs, a school like UC will need to prove over a course of a number of seasons they belong. I know it is supposed to be based on just that particular season, but for UCish schools it wont be.

That loss to a Georgia team with guys out set the non power 5 back five seasons.

and what an idiot....RUN THE BALL and take off 40 seconds. That was just plain stupid.

Fickell has clout and if UC dominates the AAC and beats Indiana and ND next year, I could see them being the first G5 to earn a playoff spot

G5 schools have to stop scheduling softballs for their OOC games. They don’t have to schedule 3 or 4 powerhouses, but good teams from the P5. No FCS teams if it can be helped.

If it hurts UC's perception they could just go the SEC-team-is-losing narrative and tell people they didn't care.

Anyways, James Hudson is off to the NFL after screwing UC in their bowl game. It'll be interesting to see where he goes in the draft. He's a damn good college T but I don't know enough about the technicalities of lineplay to know if he'll be good in the NFL.

I'd have to agree with thavoice that this loss is going to set back UC's playoff chances for next year -- which is exactly the problem with the current setup that screws over G5 schools. They aren't going to start off the year ranked high enough in the polls as a result of losing a big game to Georgia, and that will trickle down to the CFP rankings when they are first released later on in the year. A couple years ago UCF had a 25 game winning streak including a New Year's Six bowl win against Auburn and they still got curved by the playoff committee. The same thing will happen to UC next with another undefeated regular season and AAC title. Beating Notre Dame will get some cliche if the Domers end up with a good record, but they probably won't get any props if they beat Indiana as nobody respects IU as a football brand. A loss to UC is just another ding on IU's record that devalues the win for UC.

That loss will just continue to hurt UC and the smaller conferences.

Like it or not, until there are 8 team playoffs, a school like UC will need to prove over a course of a number of seasons they belong. I know it is supposed to be based on just that particular season, but for UCish schools it wont be.

That loss to a Georgia team with guys out set the non power 5 back five seasons.

and what an idiot....RUN THE BALL and take off 40 seconds. That was just plain stupid.

This is such a lazy take! UC was missing 2 All American DB's and their All AAC Center and starting RB, not to mention Hudson was kicked out for being selfish. Georgia is top 5/10 in recruiting every year and UC should have won the game.

This is such a lazy take! UC was missing 2 All American DB's and their All AAC Center and starting RB, not to mention Hudson was kicked out for being selfish. Georgia is top 5/10 in recruiting every year and UC should have won the game.
You are right but No one is going to remember that UC was missing guys. Only the score.

I'd have to agree with thavoice that this loss is going to set back UC's playoff chances for next year -- which is exactly the problem with the current setup that screws over G5 schools. They aren't going to start off the year ranked high enough in the polls as a result of losing a big game to Georgia, and that will trickle down to the CFP rankings when they are first released later on in the year. A couple years ago UCF had a 25 game winning streak including a New Year's Six bowl win against Auburn and they still got curved by the playoff committee. The same thing will happen to UC next with another undefeated regular season and AAC title. Beating Notre Dame will get some cliche if the Domers end up with a good record, but they probably won't get any props if they beat Indiana as nobody respects IU as a football brand. A loss to UC is just another ding on IU's record that devalues the win for UC.

Indiana is a bit of a wildcard but I don’t think they’re a one year wonder

I agree with all of this, but it is a matter of philosophy. Are you paying to win, or playing not to lose?

Score a TD, UC wins.

Get a 1st down, UC wins.

Do the consensus smart thing and take time off the clock, GA could still win.
That argument makes sense for a play like the fake punt, but not 3rd and 2 with Under 2 minutes to go and your opponent out of timeouts. Strength of the team is your defense, lean on them to get the job done with 30-40 seconds on the clock and other teams without any timeouts. One tackle in bounds, that doesn't go for a first down, essentially seals the game.

Id agree. They really didn't get there with recruiting. They got there with coaching. Expect the recruiting to improve too. As long as he doesn't throw any chairs, their coach should have a long tenure.

I do expect their recruiting to tick up. They had a pretty small class this year, but got one of the better QB prospects. Also a couple good transfers. Will they win the Big Ten? Probably not. But they're not a defacto bye week anymore.

If UC is able to beat both Indiana and ND, and win the other 10....they will be in the discussion and probably finish no lower than 5. I'd predict Playoffs show. I say 5 because there's always the argument for the P5 Champions. There's always one conference that's obviously a few notches below that year.

So is Ritter leaving? I was looking at some draft analysis last night and saw he was the 10th ranked QB on at least one site.I hadn’t heard that he had declared.

My guess is Des Ridder returns another season. With the backup transferring to EMU, Im thinking he knew he had no shot next year. Seems to me like RIdder will stay another year. If he doesnt, Prater was an All American in HS, I think he will fit in fine.

My guess is Des Ridder returns another season. With the backup transferring to EMU, Im thinking he knew he had no shot next year. Seems to me like RIdder will stay another year. If he doesnt, Prater was an All American in HS, I think he will fit in fine.
Bryant to Eastern Michigan? I kind of expected that, he’s a pretty good QB and will do fine there.

I just don't see Ridder being successful in the NFL. And I'm surprised Bryant transferred to EMU, I figured he would have at least gone to a bigger G5 school, he looked good whenever he played for UC and played admirably against Memphis last year when Ridder was out. But yeah, I think Prater has surpassed Bryant so if Ridder is gone, it was Praters job next year.

I just don't see Ridder being successful in the NFL. And I'm surprised Bryant transferred to EMU, I figured he would have at least gone to a bigger G5 school, he looked good whenever he played for UC and played admirably against Memphis last year when Ridder was out. But yeah, I think Prater has surpassed Bryant so if Ridder is gone, it was Praters job next year.
No way Ridder is an NFL QB.

I think they are.
They got lucky and Penix transferred there, and looks to be back due to his injury. If they cannot get a fop flight QB that program will again start to go back to where they belong, at the bottom of the conference.

I look for them to do well next year, and the coach strike while the iron is hot and move on.

I think they are.
They got lucky and Penix transferred there, and looks to be back due to his injury. If they cannot get a fop flight QB that program will again start to go back to where they belong, at the bottom of the conference.

I look for them to do well next year, and the coach strike while the iron is hot and move on.

FWIW, Penix Jr signed with Indiana out of high school. Perhaps you're thinking of Jack Tuttle who transferred from Utah to Indiana after 1 year at Utah?

Funny that Tuttle transferred to Indiana for playing time and then is beaten out by another QB from his same class.

FWIW, Penix Jr signed with Indiana out of high school. Perhaps you're thinking of Jack Tuttle who transferred from Utah to Indiana after 1 year at Utah?

Funny that Tuttle transferred to Indiana for playing time and then is beaten out by another QB from his same class.
Gotcha. that is prolly what I was thinking.
Unless they can score again with a top flight QB, which is iffy, this wont be sustainable.

Hope so, I am a Hoosier fan (hoops mostly, but I still root for them in FB. I am not one that can like IU for hoops, but someone else for football.....just does not seem right).

It is a great place to bring kids to..think it is a 5 or 10 dollar ticket

Marcus Freeman update.

Marshall has reached out about their open HC job too, he is probably not their 1st choice but is gaining traction. Would be a good 1st HC job as it is not that far from his roots and he can recruit Ohio to Marshall easier than some other open HC jobs in the group of 6; competing in Conference USA is not as tough as the AAC or Sunbelt either.

Last edited:
Gotcha. that is prolly what I was thinking.
Unless they can score again with a top flight QB, which is iffy, this wont be sustainable.

Hope so, I am a Hoosier fan (hoops mostly, but I still root for them in FB. I am not one that can like IU for hoops, but someone else for football.....just does not seem right).

It is a great place to bring kids to..think it is a 5 or 10 dollar ticket

Not to turn this into an Indiana thread, but I already mentioned they signed a good QB prospect this year. Donavon McCulley, 4* dual threat QB. #2 player from Indiana.